Runners' I apologize for the gross ? but.....

Options
angbieb
angbieb Posts: 692 Member
for those of you that put on a lot of miles in a week, how does it effect you in the restroom? (For those of you that aren't embarrassed to talk about it).:blushing:
I'm just concerned because it seems like I'm spending a lot of time in there.:blushing: :blushing: !!!

Replies

• HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    haha
    sometimes I dont mind the treadmill as it is indoor and close to a restroom
    I did have to cut my first 10 mile run a bit short one day due to an act of nature that wouldnt wait
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I normally dont eat anything for at least 90 minutes before I run. I have never had a problem where I needed to pee when I ran. It seems like that urge shuts down on a run. However I have had to sprint home once do to the "other'", hence why I wait to run now. lol
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I read your post wonrg. you are talking about outside of when you are actually running. I seem to be just fine, although I drink more water so am peeing a little more
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Since you want to talk gross, when I was 42 lbs ago I ate horribly and got hemmorhoids all the time. Since I began running a lot and eating well guess what? Not one case of them since! Regularity is sweet!
  • amayarnell
    amayarnell Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    it's all about what you eat. i had this problem when i was training for my 1/2 last year and had the WTF why. googled it on the internet and sure enough...there it was. you want to stay away from /sugary/fatty/greasy foods pretty much. since that happened to me, i watch what i eat on long days so that doesnt happen. the morning of the 'gross stuff' i had two slices of pizza for lunch. NEVER AGAIN. hah
  • ashreynolds09
    ashreynolds09 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I always heard that if you were going more that was a good thing?! I know you're supposed to 'go' after every meal. I am hoping this regularity comes soon for me because I don't seem to go enough!
  • angbieb
    Options
    Since you want to talk gross, when I was 42 lbs ago I ate horribly and got hemmorhoids all the time. Since I began running a lot and eating well guess what? Not one case of them since! Regularity is sweet!

OMG!! Leave it to you Big Jimmy! I'm just wondering if I should change my eating habits...this is hard to talk about cuz I don't want to get into too much detail..but its painful (cramping and feels like diarrhea every damn day...eeew I know sorry I had to go there).
  • amayarnell
    amayarnell Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    let me clarify. on my LONG RUN days, i watch what i eat. It's usually only a problem when you run 45min +

i hope this helps!!!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It's a pretty well documented side effect of running - it seems to encourage some people's digestive systems.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    When I started running, I had to make sure I was pretty close to public washrooms at all times. Now it has settled down a bit and I am usually okay until I get home, but I do need to take a break about once every hour for longer runs. As someone who normally suffers with pretty nasty constipation, this is actually a blessing. I do make sure that if I am constipated, I don't take anything for it until after I run. Then if I still need to, I do!
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Its more likely diet, allergies or even some sort of bug than the running which is affecting you. I know a lot of people who have stomach cramps when running, or who feel really uncomfortable if they run soon after they eat (me included) but none who link running to diarrhea or constipation
  • pdworkman
    Options
    Seriously?

Just a few articles on the issue:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/runners-diarrhea/AN00376
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runner's_diarrhea
    http://coachjoeenglish.wordpress.com/2007/09/06/training-how-do-i-deal-with-runners-diarrhea-part-ii/
    http://ibs.about.com/od/livingwithibs/a/runnersdiarrhea.htm
    http://running.about.com/od/nutritionandhydration/f/runnerstrots.htm

Its more likely diet, allergies or even some sort of bug than the running which is affecting you. I know a lot of people who have stomach cramps when running, or who feel really uncomfortable if they run soon after they eat (me included) but none who link running to diarrhea or constipation
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I run first thing in the mornings and have no problems with the stomach stuff. Now I've run into it when running longer during the day. I know that walking long distances helps my dog go number 2, why wouldn't it help us??
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Actually - the wikki article backs up what I was saying - uncomfortable whilst running but not an ongoing issue caused by the running... I guess the OP needs to be more specific...
  • pdworkman
    Options
    I had to read your response several times before I understood what you were saying. Let me rephrase and see if I am understanding you correctly.

You are saying that runner's diarrhea is only a problem while you are actually running, not for the rest of the day or an extended length of time after that. So if the OP is "spending a lot of time there" during runs, that is one thing, but if she is "spending a lot of time there" throughout the day, then it is probably caused by diet or a virus or another issue, not running itself.

Have I got it?
    Actually - the wikki article backs up what I was saying - uncomfortable whilst running but not an ongoing issue caused by the running... I guess the OP needs to be more specific...
  • angbieb
    Options
    I'm referring to times throughout the day, not during a run...either way I agree with what pd is saying!
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Watch your fiber intake. I have to eat 17g or less of fiber per day when I am running a lot of miles in a week. If it is a problem on your runs, try taking 1/2 an Immodium, that helped my problems a lot!
  • angbieb
    Options
    Watch your fiber intake. I have to eat 17g or less of fiber per day when I am running a lot of miles in a week. If it is a problem on your runs, try taking 1/2 an Immodium, that helped my problems a lot!

Thank you for the excellent advice!!