Training for a 10 k ideas

Options
About 3 years ago I did a 10K, The day after I could barely move LOL. But I did have fun and was so proud of myself, just for finishing. It is coming up again in May and I'm thinking about doing it again. But I am nervous because I weigh more now then I did the last time.

So I'm looking for any tips and thoughts. Do I still have time to get ready?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Have you been running in the interim?

10k is a challenging distance, booth physically and mentally. If the race is near the end of May you'll have 8 weeks to prepare, check out some of the free training plans at runnersworld.com

This time (and I know - it sounds like cruel and unusual punishment) try hopping into an ice bath for about 15 minutes after the race.
  • NinjaChickie
    NinjaChickie Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Heres a link to a 13 week training schedule, there are 3 listed, "how to walk 10km", "how to run 10km", "how to run 10km faster"

Even if you only get 8 weeks of the training done, its a start.

http://www.vancouversun.com/pdf/S1201C006X.pdf
  • JLClarkson
    Options
    If you have 8 weeks, you have more than enough time. Join a running club or get a training partner and do most runs outside. Having that person next to you tends to push you just a little bit harder.
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I love to join training groups for the companionship and the coaching. If the 10K is large enough, they might have a training group you could join for a cost. Check their website. If not, check at your local running stores, YMCAs and local rec centers for recommendations. Don't be intimidated by the other runners. The running groups I have been involved with always separate people by their speed. If you don't know your speed, there is generally a group called "I just want to run the whole way and finish".
  • Craighbruce
    Options
    You can do it - I amazed myself at how quickly my grossly overweight body responded when I started running again in January. I'd previously run in a formal 10k race around 3 years ago too and let myself slip since then.

You'll more than likely feel pessimistic during your first 3 or 4 training runs but will very quickly pick up the pace. My recent experience was noted on here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/458744-the-cardiovascular-system-is-an-amazing-thing

I managed to get to a 60min time for 10k within 4 weeks of starting running again, one thing I would stress though is the need to look after your knees if you feel you've put on a lot of weight. Stretching and checking your technique can help avoid injury.
  • marcenepea
    marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I might have mislead alittle, I don't run! LOL More like I slog and then walk. Thanks for the advice I will check out some of the sites. This 10 k is in alittle town and I haven't heard of any running groups, but I think I would rather train alone for awhile. Especially in the shape I'm starting out. And unfortunately it is on Mothers day weekend, so sooner then 8 weeks. But I will do the best I can and any other ideas and tips are always appreciated.
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I had never ran more than 3.5 miles when I ran my 10k (more will follow!!). My BF and I ran together. When I hit that 4 mile marker, that was the farthest I had ever ran, I wanted to cry. I kept going. I / we walked less than about 2 minutes of the entire thing. I have never been more proud of myself, EVER than I was after that race.

The next weekend I signed up for a half. There will definitely be more training and prep for the half, lol