I am a hundred pounds overweight, I need help......

Options
2»

Replies

• thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    I have lost 41 pounds, and while my clothes are loose, and my friends notice and compliment me, I see myself in the mirror getting dressed and see the same me I saw six months ago. Is that because I didn't see how bad I had gotten six months ago, or because I don't see my progress now? I don't know. But there IS a difference in how my knees feel, and I can alternate legs going up and down the stairs now (or, as I call it, progress for the pathetic.. :laugh: ). But seriously, feeling better is a great difference, and you MUST feel at least a bit lighter carrying around 14 pounds less, even if I'm right and it is water weight. Fourteen pounds is fourteen pounds whether we are talking about bricks or feathers!

Best wishes to you. Feel free to add me as a friend!
    [/quote]

You should call it "progress for the determined"

Congratulations on your achievements, but kudos for your commitment!
  • mmw1978
    mmw1978 Posts: 8
    Options
    joinr our group, it's people who have lost over 100lbs, open to anyone, so they can see how we lost the weight.

Here is our main topic, has before and after pictures with a lot of advice of how we did it.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/529659-our-general-advice-with-result-pics

i am going to send you an invite.

I would love to join this group, too. I have 130 lbs to lose and I gave myself a goal of 10lbs a month for the entire year of 2012 (here's hoping). I would love to be able to talk to people who have been there and get real life advice. I'm on track for my goal so far, but it's getting harder and harder (I'm finding what folks say about interval training seems to apply to me) and I'm sure in another month or so, that 10 will be hard won every month.
  • tmpayton
    tmpayton Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    could you send me the invite as well. I have over 100 to lose and am just beginning.....tks!
  • jllisi15
    jllisi15 Posts: 13
    Options
    you will find that when you are heavy you lose weight faster for the first tow months and then it will slow. The first couple weeks you lose water, around the 1 month mark you will start seeing the pounds coming off slower. keep up the excerise, that will show you the largest improvements when the scale numbers will not move. I lost over 130lbs a few years ago. my advise is not to concentrate so much on the number but how your clothes feel. When I was 170 lbs people thought I was 150 because I was so toned from all the excerise. Good Luck!
  • rydin_high17
    Options
    Use a tape measurer instead of a scale. This helps you to track inches and can keep you motivated. I am 170+ yet in size 10/12 and some 8.
  • TammyR4
    TammyR4 Posts: 2
    Options
    WOW...congrats! I have 100 lbs to lose as well. So motivating, and I wish you great success!
  • rbear713
    rbear713 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Ive been here at MFP for about 5 months - losing your weight quickly is not safe....if you are not paying attention. I'm almost done losing now (about 15lbs to go) and have slowed way down with my loss due to the fact that I'm trying to build lean muscle these days instead of lose fat...

However - When I was losing as much as I could as fast as I could, I dropped about 80 pounds in 14 weeks, or about 5.5 a week, on average. a lot of people told me i was going too fast - I didn't listen to them - i listened to my body instead.

If you feel good, if you are getting enough good food to not starve, if you are staying healthy, why are you worried about losing weight too fast? I say go get some!!

I do not regret losing so fast - my stomach is a little bit loose and soft, but that is what the lean muscle I'm workin on is for. And as far as a rebound (putting it all back on) that will not happen - I wont let it happen - I'm done with being the big fat guy with one foot in the grave...
    and it was all as simple as working HARD at the gym every day, eating good foods at suggested portion sizes, and LISTENING to my body....
    If I feel exhausted, I take a day off from the gym
    If I feel hungry, I eat! (but good stuff only)
    If I feel sick, I put the brakes on everything and focus on trying to get well again....

Weight loss and your health is about commitment - if you want it bad enough, you won't give up....and it doesn't really matter how you get there (fast or slow) as long as you listen to what your body is telling you!!

Good Luck!! You can do it!

And oh yeah - lbs always come off quickly at first - there a lot of excess fat and water that will come off quickly and easily when you first get serious about losing weight - it will slow down some, but you can lose more than 2lbs a week safely - as long as you listen!
  • tara7302011
    tara7302011 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice.... I am actually concerned that I might be losing muscle instead of fat.. Its really hard getting trying to understand all the do's and don't's especially when everyone has there own opinion of what is right or wrong... I am apple shaped and so I still have a lot of muscle in my legs and do not want to lose that.....one thing I have going for me.. LOl... I work out on the elliptical machine for about 45 minutes a day, sometimes I skip a day due to it just not working out for me to get the time that day... I am only going to rely on the way my clothes fit.... :wink: