Is this Diet a Scam Or What???

Options
Trying to find out about this GM diet ...that is FDA approved... Is it healthy and is the weight loss permanent?

http://www.iimahd.ernet.in/~jajoo/gmdiet.html

this is the link tell me what you think?:happy:

Replies

• mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Where'd you get this from?
  • 1rayhamilton
    Options
    My friend's on this diet. He's on the third week and he's lost 30 lbs! So, I guess it works..it just sounds weird
  • krisrpaz
    krisrpaz Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I just scanned over it and it looks like another fad diet to me...
  • htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    My friend's on this diet. He's on the third week and he's lost 30 lbs! So, I guess it works..it just sounds weird

10lbs a week doesn't seem good at all
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    My friend's on this diet. He's on the third week and he's lost 30 lbs!

Ten pounds a week? Like... a 35,000 calorie/week deficit? That seems rough.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options

10lbs a week doesn't seem good at all

unless the guy is totally obese..then its water weight..like on the Biggest Loser
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    It certainly doesn't look sustainable which should be an important factor in a weight loss plan.

Not to be ana*l but the typos and grammar also make me suspicious that it could have originated with GM. I'm thinking someone there knows how to use spell check
  • SordidEuphemism
    Options
    It's bad science, and dangerous.
    The human body cannot produce certain amino acids which are vital for healthy function. These are the ones in the 'complete proteins' you often hear about. Eating soy, egg, and/or lean meats are the easiest way to gain these nutrients, but there are alternatives. This diet does not provide for the alternative, save for the 'beef' days - but your body will eliminate unused proteins in urine and stool.
    Furthermore, the 'explanations' on what's happening are pure tripe, filled with feel-good pseudo-science that may have passed muster in the 30s and 40s but not under careful examination.
    ANY plan that promises you the loss of 17 lbs in a week without the constant and direct supervision of a trained physician, while it may function in the short-term, will eventually result in systems shutdown.
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    That's interesting. I think it's basically a cleansing diet. Not something that is sustainable and not so sure the weight loss would stick. Once you started eating right again, I'm betting the weight will come back but IDK.
  • dis5150
    dis5150 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    That is a fad diet that has been around forever. It pops up every now and then. Definately not a healthy way to lose weight!!
  • sweetmspea
    Options
    My mother used to do this diet and back in the day it was called the Cabbage Soup diet. I tried to do it back then and found it too restrictive. The food is boring after a while and the soup is bland. But if you have what it takes good luck to you!!!!!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    The FDA does not "approve" diets.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    The FDA doesn't approve diets. They approve drugs and food additives. The USDA is the dept that deals with nutritional education ('diet' education). To my knowledge the FDA doesn't give out grants either. Plus the diet is garbage.
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    This used to be touted as a diet from the "Mayo Clinic." I tried it once about 15 years ago. I couldn't get through the first day! I had to go get "real" food. But, if I remember correctly, the soup is pretty good, so I think if you follow your basic meal plan and use the soup recipe as a part of it, you'd be fine.
  • LosingLizard
    Options
    That's the infamous Cabbage Soup Diet with a different name. It's a fad and it's hell.
  • SordidEuphemism
    Options
    Here you go, an article from the NYT - http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/30/opinion/30iht-edcohen.html?_r=1

Also, a breakdown from a diet review site (worldofdiets.com) :

Pros:

This is a free diet plan.
    The food is cheap and affordable
    Easy to understand and follow

Cons:

No exercise included
    Severely restricts your nutrition and may not give you all the nutrients your body needs to function.
    Has no support system whatsoever
    The origin of the diet is unclear as is the reasons why it’s supposed to work
    Unlikely to produce long term weight loss
    May cause metabolic slowdown
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Sounds bat *kitten* crazy.
  • char982
    char982 Posts: 21
    Options
    Oh yeah I've heard of this. I know people that have done it and it does work. Of course, this is a diet, not a sustainable healthy lifestyle change. I wonder what happens when you start eating normal food again?
  • geezer99
    geezer99 Posts: 92
    Options
    Let's start with the point that the executives at General motors know nothing about this diet so, if the basic claim about the diet is a lie, what about the rest?
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/30/opinion/30iht-edcohen.html
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    No it's not a scam, it's just ridiculous and pointless.

Simple fact is this: if you set up an energy deficit - in other words if you burn off more calories than you eat - you will lose weight.

That's it. That's the basis behind any diet plan in the whole world - zone, south beach, atkins, paleo, mediterranean, martian - you name it. It doesn't matter what little whiffs of other nutrition these diets provide, the only way you lose weight on them is by creating an energy deficit.

So looking at this gm one - you'll basically be starving yourself. Yes it says as many fruits and vegetables as you like but it's hard to eat a lot of either of those because the fiber content will fill you up. So what this really comes down to is what is called a VLCD (very low calorie diet).

You'll lose weight on it - mostly water weight in the first couple of weeks. 10lbs a week? Depends - if you're a 250lb dude then maybe. If you're a 140lb girl - not a damn chance.

Is it sustainable - no way.

Will the weight stay off? Highly unlikely. The only way to make the weight stay off is to change your eating behaviors for life. Do you think you could eat like this for life? Nope me neither. So the minute you resume your old habits, the weight will pile back on.