When will my tummy shrink with my legs???

Options
I've been on MFP since October and been going up and down. Starting in January I got serious about my weight loss. I'm down 14 lbs so far and I have noticed it a lot in my legs! They're a lot slimmer and I'm loving that, BUT my stomach is not following along! I'm definitely pear shaped and it sucks! I want to get new pants because I like them being tight around my legs, but I can't because my stomach is a size 14/16 depending on the brand. I also wear my pants pretty low, so my waist is probably an 18 or so... I do lots mostly cardio and some weight training, including crunches on the ab machines.

What can I do to make my stomach shrink too!?!?!?

Replies

• Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options

Give it time. Keep on keeping on. Good things come to those who wait. Don't eat dumpster corndogs. Etc etc...
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately the fat comes off where it feels like coming off. As you continue to lose weight, it'll eventually get to your stomach.
  • Jennicia
    Jennicia Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    ugh- I have the SAME problem! I swear all 14 lbs came off of my legs!! :laugh:
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    time, lots of time. thats it. keep doing what you are doing, and good luck.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    My legs are a size smaller than my waist. Nothing you can do except keep going and it'll eventually start shedding fat in your stomach.
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    It seemed like it took forever, but your tummy will shrink. I saw toning in the rest of my body but not there until about 4 weeks ago. Now, its coming off fast in that area. You can't spot reduce, but I always do either bicycles or the captains chair for abs after my workouts.
  • mab33
    mab33 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP since October and been going up and down. Starting in January I got serious about my weight loss. I'm down 14 lbs so far and I have noticed it a lot in my legs! They're a lot slimmer and I'm loving that, BUT my stomach is not following along! I'm definitely pear shaped and it sucks! I want to get new pants because I like them being tight around my legs, but I can't because my stomach is a size 14/16 depending on the brand. I also wear my pants pretty low, so my waist is probably an 18 or so... I do lots mostly cardio and some weight training, including crunches on the ab machines.

Body type. I have the opposite problem. Tummy is shrinking, legs not so much. Just keep losing body fat and you will get there :)
  • Lightworker10
    Options
    Allow your SELF-PRAISE to increase, as in, wow I did thus and thus so far so YEY ME. As we give thanks for what IS, we get more to be THANKFUL FOR. Same goes with our weight, allow yourself the privilege of enjoying what you HAVE accomplished so far (being on here, for one; trying to be healthier etc). Then the rest will follow. Keep in mind, also, that all the weight-loss gurus say the stomache is the first to gain extra inches, but the LAST to shed it. Sux, I know. But Keep on keepin on!! WE WILL GET THERE!!! :):smile:
  • bellac1981
    bellac1981 Posts: 9
    Options
    I consider you lucky! I have lost inches in my belly, hips and waist and have not lost any in my legs/thighs. That is the area on me that needs it the most
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Just keep working at it. I'm the exact opposite--my stomach and waist go first but my legs and butt are the last to go! It's just going to take more time to see results everywhere. Keep up the hard work!
  • JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    how much strength training? That helps more than cardio for belly fat.
  • Bakerchk
    Bakerchk Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what your diet looks like, but I can say from my own experience that as soon as I cut out soda, sugary drinks and anything carbonated, my stomach started looking less bloated. I also have the tummy issue, but like others have said, with time the weight will come off. Core workouts are good for you, but they target the muscles underneath the fat, so don't feel discouraged if you are focusing on core exercising and you aren't seeing much of a difference in your belly. The fat will come off eventually! :D Good luck to you hun!
  • charm_quark
    charm_quark Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I have the exactly opposite thing! When I gain weight I gain at my thighs and it will be the last part of my body I'll see shrinking when I lose weight.
    It's all about body type. You may just need more time to see your stomach shrinking but eventually you will. Keep some measurements also! It will help you seeing that you are losing even if it is slow.
  • keddabee
    keddabee Posts: 81
    Options
    Ive found wearing spanx or shaped underwear can help. Get it one size smaller than you actually are and your tummy 'trains' to look like the underwear. Also helps with holding everything in!
  • HeatherHoskins
    HeatherHoskins Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    If you log on to the doctor oz website he gives a list of foods that help reduce fat in cetain areas. He says it has to do with hormones and the type of fats we eat. I don't really know much about it but it couldn't hurt
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    If you log on to the doctor oz website he gives a list of foods that help reduce fat in cetain areas. He says it has to do with hormones and the type of fats we eat. I don't really know much about it but it couldn't hurt

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHHAHA DR. Oz.

Seriously...lift more, eat more, burn more. Stop focus lifting and lift to tone your body and build lean mass...it will burn the fat faster.

EDIT: and keep up a good mix of cardio. Remember to rest every 7th day.
  • Cathleenr
    Cathleenr Posts: 332
    Options
    stop with the crunches, they won't really help you and your time will be better spent in the weights section. do complex moves: sqauts definitely and deadlifts, bench presses in you can. overhead presses with the bar, walking lunges (those will shape up your legs and butt in no time!), side lateral raises with dumbbells, all work the big muscles. good starting programs are "starting Strength", "New Rules of Lifting For Women" or "StrongLift 5x5". Strength training will increase your muscle mass (not to be confused with 'mass muscle') which burns fat...and if you have fat to lose from anywhere, this is how you do it. this and a calorie-deficit nutrition plan.
  • trutlet
    trutlet Posts: 11
    Options
    My trainer tells me that abs are made in the kitchen. I have the same problem and I have a lot more weight to lose than you do but I know if I keep eating right, eventually I will have a flat stomach. I do exercise but totally agree with the trainer, you are what you eat. I went to primal eating at Easter and am feeling great! Best of luck!:wink:
  • kwin91
    kwin91 Posts: 128
    Options
    I would try doing core exercises. You can't really "spot" tone anything because you have to work all the muscle groups to keep your body from not getting strong in just one place. Also, machines don't give you the full range you need especially if your working out your abdomen. try doing a 2 minute plank and then add more time as you can handle more. At first you may not be able to do as much but keep trying. Also try doing regular sit-ups and crunches(similar but will work different part of your abs. Crunches you don't go up far and Sit-ups are all the way). try reverse crunches and reverse planks. Also, the weightlifting will help you out too! I weight lift 2-3 days a week depending on how sore my arms are! And try to stay away from high fructose corn syrup!!
    Check out some you-tube videos for core stuff:)
  • alextrost
    alextrost Posts: 1
    Options

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHHAHA DR. Oz.

Seriously...lift more, eat more, burn more. Stop focus lifting and lift to tone your body and build lean mass...it will burn the fat faster.

EDIT: and keep up a good mix of cardio. Remember to rest every 7th day.

Seriously, Dr. Oz is the worst. Don't listen to 90% of what he says. You can't spot reduce, end of story. Fat is generally burnt off in the reverse order of how it was put on. Just keep going at it and you'll lose it eventually.