Dr. Fuhrman's food pyramid. Agree?

Options

Replies

• _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I like Fuhrman's emphasis on nutrient dense foods, like whole fruits and veggies with high antioxidants.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I prefer this food pyramid:

primal-pyramid.jpg
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    No I don't agree. I don't see what is unhealthy about beef, cheese, and other meats that are completely omitted. I would personally put sweets and processed foods at the top, and put whole grains & potatoes at the next level.

They aren't completely eliminated. Beef and processed foods are at the top.
    You don't eat any sweets on his program.
    I am sorry but no sweets is completely unrealistic to me. If I tried to adopt something like that I would fail right away. I am a firm believer of everything in moderation.

I don't think candy etc is part of any food pyramid. Just shows the logic behind his thinking. Eating this way doesn't mean you can't eat sweets sometimes.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    I like Fuhrman's emphasis on nutrient dense foods, like whole fruits and veggies with high antioxidants.

I'm sure you do. But it also says you can have red meat in moderation.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Up to 40% from fuit would be a LOT of sugar. (It does bad things to my gut.) I couldn't eat like that.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I agree with it, but everyone has their own opinion so thats that.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why dairy needs to be fat-free. When exercising, I need those calories.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    I don't understand why dairy needs to be fat-free. When exercising, I need those calories.

I'd assume the fats would be from the nuts etc..
  • cyndy1214
    cyndy1214 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Where's da beef!!!!and I like chicken too.
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    With all that sugar in fruit and veggies I would fart so much that I could possibly rip my pants!

You don't need a lot of fruit and veggies to be healthy... Main stream media just has made us believe its to be that way.
  • sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Dr. Fuhrman's advice works for me.
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    This is my kind of food triangle

4407648617_a3a46e1729_z.jpg

YUMMO!
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options

I'm sure you do. But it also says you can have red meat in moderation.

I have his book, "Eat to Live". That top of the pyramid is optional, but I get your point.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    With all that sugar in fruit and veggies I would fart so much that I could possibly rip my pants!

You don't need a lot of fruit and veggies to be healthy... Main stream media just has made us believe its to be that way.

Where do you think the majority of vitamins and minerals come from?
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    am I missing the poultry?

I was thinking this too! I'm allergic to dairy, but when I did eat dairy, I avoided "fat-free" dairy, because it tastes like crap! Moderation!
  • sunleigh
    sunleigh Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    for the most part, yes i believe it is dead on. society relies too heavily on meats as the main part of most meals. Meats do not have to be completely taken out of a diet, but also not over consumed. Your plates should consist of mostly veggies and on most dinner plates meat makes up a huge portion. Many meals can be made meatless by adding beans and you would still have a high protein meal. My opinion and I am sticking to it :)
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    No chicky, no go.

Sorry. I love chicken. It makes up a big part of my diet. Not just because it's low-cal, but it's delicious.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I :heart: beef
  • sunleigh
    sunleigh Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    the one thing that i do not completely agree with is the whole grains/potatoes...i would flip the low fat dairy, fish and eggs for this one.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options

I think mainstream media would have us believe the opposite - that highly processed foods are good for us because we fortify them with all the "essential nutrients" we need.

In general, I tend to agree with the pyramid, but possibly because I tend to eat close to it anyway with the exception of cheese.

I'm also not sure how everyone is missing the picture of the chicken there. With the fish and dairy.