Zumba and Carpets

Options
So i've been trying to do the evil zumba kinect game but doing it barefoot or in socks gives me rug burn on my feet. so i bought these "shoe sliders" from ebay to cover the traction on my shoes....but they don't work.

do any zumba fans do zumba on the carpet? what do you recommend? I sold my zumba game tonight (ebay) so i'm gonna ship it out tomorrow....but if i can figure out how to use sneakers on the carpet and be able to turn and pivot then i'll get the new zumba game.

i feel like i just wasted money on these (lame) "gliders"

Replies

• teaqueen11
    Options
    I tried doing Zumba on carpet and it just didn't work. I couldn't move the same and I felt like I was tripping up on the moves. I ended up moving into the basement to workout. It's a finished basement with lamenant floor so I don't have the traction issues. This doesn't help unless you have lamenant floor anywhere (or any other hard surface). Good luck!
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    bumppp
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    so no one does zumba on a carpet?
  • StrengthFromAbove
    StrengthFromAbove Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Anyone doing Zumba at Curves is doing it on carpet. They use smooth bottom shoes like Puma. With my high arch and wide feet I had to get Nike indoor court shoes. I also change my moves a little, lift my feet instead of twisting. Do your best and have fun!
  • healthy_skinny_witch
    healthy_skinny_witch Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have Zumba Rush now and very happy :) But the are no chance to dance on carpet - you need hardwood or concrete floor at least. But you can try use pad for chairs its plastic and pretty big.
  • berrymissy
    Options
    LilacDreamer, it sounds like u got those generic handmade gliders. They i tried them but right, not working well. A lady at curves told me to get Zgliderz, cuz they have 2 elastic bands and come in differnt sizes. Anyway, they work super awesome and are cheap too. I hope this helps.
  • berrymissy
    Options
    :tongue: oh sorry :) the website is www.zgliderz.com
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba on my carpet in my adidas. I was doing it on my oriental rug which sits on top of the carpet until my hubby told me to roll it up. I can't explain how I do it....I guess I'm just light on my feet. Some people tend to dance heavy and that might be a factor.
  • j1wright
    j1wright Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Maybe I am doing it wrong. I do Zumba 2 on Wii on carpet barefoot and I haven't had too much problem. Of course it isn't as great as being on a hard floor but being in my cramped living room isn't as good as being in a classroom either. I can deal with it though. Works for me, although I might not be doing the moves in the most professional manner but I am sweating my *kitten* off and having a blast and that is what truly matters.
  • pinkhu13
    pinkhu13 Posts: 133
    Options
    I do Zumba on carpet but I'm in a dorm room so it's not like plush or anything so I don't have any problems.
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Anyone doing Zumba at Curves is doing it on carpet.

Yep. I work at Curves and have been doing Zumba on the carpet a few times a week for the past year and a half. I do it in socks (just because I hate wearing shoes in general), but most of the members do it in their regular gym shoes without a problem. Quite a few of them have bought those sliders that you're talking about, an as far as I know they like them well enough. Personally, I make the Zumba moved as intense as possible, so I'm not even really sliding my feet at all -- I'm bouncing/jumping a lot (with the exception of salsa moves and a few others).
  • Sparklie23
    Options
    I actually did zumba on carpet :D. A while back my mom got me a pair of house slipper and they work just fine (but probably it depends oh what kind you have).