What do you wish you knew when you started?

Options

Replies

• jwhit31
    jwhit31 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I wish I would have understood the concept of lifestyle change.. You don't have to be perfect but you do have to realize that there are consequences for all the choices you make. Those choices may cause you to take longer to reach your goals but you'll get there so long as you keep pressing forward and DON'T GIVE UP!
  • mjn18
    mjn18 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I wish I had known I was allergic to yeast. All the yo-yoing could have been prevented, and possibly could have kept my gall bladder...
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I wish I had known that you really don't have to starve yourself to lose weight! You don't have to give up all of the yummy things that you love!
  • brendacs21
    brendacs21 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    yep! i wish i wouldve known all this info and actually put it in place in my 20s when i could lose weight easier.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    That strength training would work better then hours of cardio
  • Fockertots
    Fockertots Posts: 221
    Options
    But, most of all, I really wish I had known that I was worth this.

^this more than anything else. I wish that I had known that I deserved to be better for myself and that it ALL that matters.
  • kinzytg
    kinzytg Posts: 42
    Options
    I wish I would have taken measurements at the start. I wish I would have looked in my closet for my old (smaller) clothes earlier, better fitting clothes show progress faster!!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Feed the muscle to burn the fat
    Weights > Cardio
    Macros are important.
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    The evilness of sodium. I am 33 and just realized that it makes me bloated, grouchy and my scale go nuts!
  • Michelle650
    Michelle650 Posts: 218
    Options
    I wish I knew that I could eat more and lose weight! At the beginning I restricted my diet to 1,100 caliries. I lost weight, but it stalled for MONTHS! I was advised to increase my calories to 1,500-1,600 calories, which I did and I have been losing ever since!
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew that strength training was important.

I did a lot of cardio, dancing and walking. I lost 30lbs, but was still a little flabby.

Strength training toned me up quickly, but it made me gain.

I should have started my strength in the beginning to make weight loss a lot easier!!!
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    How important it is to eat the proper amount and not skimp on calories...starvation mode is costly to the journey. Buy clothes at a thrift store as your not in any one size very long.
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    "I wish I knew what I know now when I started"...

...that I would gain it all back quickly and it would take twice as much effort to get it back off....oy!
  • JoyceJoanne
    JoyceJoanne Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    That exercise would have made a HUGE difference when I started. It would have made the process SOOOOOO much easier.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Importance of heavy lifting.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    How easy losing weight is if you do it the right way and stay dilligent. I spend all those years wishing....when I could have just done something about it.
  • elfy66
    elfy66 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Just this.....To keep going, .. This is the long haul, lose some, stick, go on holiday, gain a bit, lose some more.
    Don't sweat if you go over, make up for it the next day.
    Learn to count your calories.
    Eat a few less calories and do a bit more exercise.
    Don't believe the hype.
  • ttkg
    ttkg Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I wish I had known...

- that I was worth the effort and that if you make a bad choice SO WHAT, it is one bad choice and the next 30 could be great ones. Don't give up on yourself.
    - that strength training is an excellent way to transform your body
    - that hours & hours of cardio a week are unnecessary for weight loss (still important for other health reasons)
    - that 15 minutes of HIIT is more effective for fat loss that 45 minutes on the elliptical
    - what my TDEE & BMR were & why they were important to my weight loss ( do the research )
    - that I do not have to eat 1200 calories a day and go bonkers trying to accomplish everything in my life on such a little amount of fuel/energy
    - that eating below your BMR for extended periods of time is harmful to your body
    - the difference between emotional hunger and physical hunger
    - that using ALL MFP tools really does help (Join a group & make friends, they are your support system!)
    - that nothing will happen overnight and I have to accept this. It took years of neglect for me to get here and it will take some time to rectify it and that is ok. I think for weight loss, slow is better because it means you are learning, making lifestyle changes and less likely to put all the weight back on down the road.

Just a few off the top of my head, hope they are helpful.
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew that it was OK to trust myself to eat junk food every once in a while.
    There's a reason why they are called 'sometimes' foods.

Don't get me wrong - it was important for me to stop outright to teach myself new eating habits. I just wish I knew from the beginning that the only way this will be any form of easy is if I have complete trust in myself in what I eat and holding myself accountable.
    Understanding this has made my 'diet' a 'lifestyle' - which is so much easier to manage.