Celluite Battle.. ugh!

Options
hey girls,
In high school I started noticing dimples in my thighs and they have just gotten worse. I've not gained or lost a large amount of weight. I haven't always worked out regularly, but for periods in my life I would work out on a regular basis but i still had cellulite. I've done a lot of research and read things about additives in food causing celluite to worsen, and lack of exercise contributing to cellulite. I've tried lots of creams, but they dont seem to work. I dont wear shorts or short skirts because of this problem, because it seems like the other girls my age (20 yr.) dont have this problem.
It's disheartening to read that even skinny girls have cellulite.. for the longest time i was hopeful that through losing fat and toning up my thighs, i could get rid of it. Is there any hope?? :angry:

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Skinny people can still have cellulite because they can still have high body fat. Being skinny doesn't mean you have low body fat; it can mean that you have plenty of body fat and very little muscle mass.
    Low body fat will result in reduction or eradication of cellulite. Cellulite is caused by how most females (and some males) store fat--in a honeycomb pattern of cells rather than the brick pattern most males have. Creams will sometimes change the appearance by changing water retention under the skin, but can't change how your fat cells are arranged. Ironically, the dents are caused by areas where there is no fat. So it might get worse before it gets better. Plenty of women have cellulite. Most men don't notice it. Just get comfortable with it and work on it.
  • hetipt01
    hetipt01 Posts: 32
    Options
    wow, that was insightful! I really am trying to get more comfortable with it.. but it seems that the media is putting more focus on all the hollywood star's problem with cellulite too. Oh well.. i know it will take time.. but at least i know that i can improve it! Thanks for the info!
  • girlygirl82
    girlygirl82 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Don't worry girl! I am right there with you. : ( I have never weighed over 145 and I have had cellulite for YEARS. Its very disheartening. But as my profile says, my family has a tendancy to be pear shaped, carrying extra weight in the thighs and butt. I have lost about as much weight as I have wanted to, and I still have that pesky cellulite.

I agree that what songbyrdsweet wrote was very insightful. I am actually happy that the media is pointing out the gorgeous celebrities are plague with this as well, because then their image is more realistic than not.

I always hope that I am the only one who sees it though when I am in a bathing suit. Hey, we can be HOPEFUL right??!! LOL:drinker:
  • Meags23
    Meags23 Posts: 98
    Options
    I have this problem too. And I was hoping it would go away when I lost, but it got worse. The explaination given by songbyrdsweet makes a ton of sense... I guess it will finally leave when I build some muscle mass and lose more body fat.
  • hetipt01
    hetipt01 Posts: 32
    Options
    I tell ya, its the hardest thing to do is to put on a pair of shorts that hit me above my knees. I know that I notice it on other women, but when i do, its sort of a breath of fresh air, a reminder that I'm not the only one. Because I do notice it, I feel like thats all anyone sees when they look at me. I would LOVE to feel confident enough to wear the things I want too.. but hey, thats why we are all here right? To better ourselves, become more healthy, and learn to love the bodies we've been given.
  • totallytasha
    totallytasha Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Can I get an 'AMEN!' :happy: