Realistically- How long until you start shedding the pounds?

Options
2»

Replies

• nowickij
    nowickij Posts: 7
    Options
    I honestly never knew that you should eat back the calories that you burn during exercise!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't consider it to be a plateau unless I've seen no losses for 6 weeks. My hormones fluctuate so much in a month that you can't really tell what is going on until it has been more than a month. I happen to lose more slowly than average folk because of some thyroid problems. If after 6 weeks, it isn't working, it's time to change.

So, yes, that does seem like an awfully long time and an awful lot of effort to put forth to not see results, but once this weight is gone, it will stay gone.
  • w2bab
    w2bab Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    My first month I gained 2 lbs. and then lost 4+, with a net loss of 2.2 lbs. However, I also lost 17.5". Weight loss picked up the second month.
  • butterfly10398
    Options
    Remember not every body is the same and reacts the to certain parts of a daily diet... try different combinations in the carbs/fat/protein if you still don't see a result from increasing your calories... Play with it until the combination is right and you see the results you are working for...
  • Juliane_
    Juliane_ Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Losing 1 lb a week is perfect.
  • khagador
    khagador Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm netting around 1200 calories after exercise and I haven't lost either. It's coming up on 3 weeks for me as well. I know I am accurately counting all of my calories because I have a scale and I track every single thing that I eat.
  • msbellzee
    msbellzee Posts: 69
    Options
    I actaully think 3pounds in 3 weeks is fine. I have always been told a healthy loss of 500grms per week is realistic and the best way to lose and keep it off, if thats correct then you're bang on.

I aim for 500gm a week anymore is a bonus for me
  • msbellzee
    Options
    Losing 1 lb a week is perfect.

I agree
  • nowickij
    Options
    well great! maybe I was just getting nervous for nothing...I will up my calories and be patient with my body :)
  • lfelzani
    lfelzani Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi!

I am currently a student studying Physical Therapy - and we had just learned that it takes about 6 weeks to see physical improvements or hypertrophy (bigger muscles) or changes for weight loss, so don't get discouraged!!! Also, with weight loss, I think it takes about 8-12 weeks before other people notice and comment on your body changes. (in fact, I'm on my 11th week and just this week people have been commenting that I look like I've lost weight).. So it does take time and it is a definite commitment!

The good news? You can prove to yourself you are on the right track by realizing newly-gained strength or better endurance during your workouts!

Hope this helps!
  • nowickij
    Options
    Definitely helps! I am seeing a lot of improvement in my exercise habits..I'm starting to up the ante!
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Do you know what your bmr is?? That's where I eat and eat back my exercise calories. But I've been losing slow as well its taken me about 3 months to lose close to 14 pounds. It goes slow when you don't have much to lose.
  • msbellzee
    Options
    well great! maybe I was just getting nervous for nothing...I will up my calories and be patient with my body :)

I know I had high expectations about how much weight I'd lose when I started working out and I think for a lot of people do, but the amount lost is different for everyone.
  • TanyaCurtis
    TanyaCurtis Posts: 630
    Options
    After about 90 days is when u will notice and really start