Clarisonic users.

Options
theroadto100
theroadto100 Posts: 209 Member
This is so random but I need to a few opinions. I got a clarisonic a few weeks ago. For those of you who don't know what it is, it's a face cleaning took. It has a scrubber on and it's electronic and you basically just use it and you basically just use it to wash your face. Standard stuff. I've heard amazing stuff about this, and while I never had horrible skin, I would like for it to be more clear. So I asked for it for my birthday. The first few days I broke out SO bad but I thought I was using it too often (twice a day) and I cut down to once a day. It helped for a few days, but these past two mornings I woke up with the worst breakouts I've ever had on my chin. Nothing really "came through" but it's just all red and bumpy.
I have about 40 days until I can no longer return it, but I don't really want to put my skin through more crap if it's not gonna get any better.
ANYWAYS my question is if this has happened to anyone else?

Replies

• RoboLikes
    RoboLikes Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have a Clarisonic and absolutely love it. I broke out at first too; the vibrations are basically deep cleansing your skin and bringing all the impurities to the surface, hence the breakouts. If you stick with it, the breakouts with stop and you will be left with great skin.
  • theroadto100
    Options
    Hi, I have a Clarisonic and absolutely love it. I broke out at first too; the vibrations are basically deep cleansing your skin and bringing all the impurities to the surface, hence the breakouts. If you stick with it, the breakouts with stop and you will be left with great skin.

Do you remember how long it took for the breakouts to stop?
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I've never had very bad skin but I have been using the Clarisonic once in a while and when I use it it makes my skin feel really soft and clean :) I think it will get better if you keep trying it!
  • RoboLikes
    RoboLikes Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have a Clarisonic and absolutely love it. I broke out at first too; the vibrations are basically deeply cleansing your skin and bringing all the impurities to the surface, hence the breakouts. If you stick with it, the breakouts with stop and you will be left with great skin.

Do you remember how long it took for the breakouts to stop?

I believe my skin was good for the first week, then I broke out for two weeks, then just a week of it slowly going away. So, I guess a month before the blemishes stopped.

Also, don't overuse it; once a day is plenty and remember to use a gentle moisturizer afterwards.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    My Clarisonic keeps me from breaking out, it doesn't cause me to break out. You sure it's not something else you're doing? I only use mine 3 times a week, once a day. My skin was too sensitive to use it every day even with the sensitive brush head.
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Also make sure you're using the right brush. I bought the one for sensitive skin, maybe that's what you need?
  • woopidydoo
    woopidydoo Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I've always heard that your skin will break out at first because it's purging - bringing all the crap to the surface. I don't know if that's true. I don't have the clarisonic but I have the olay version. I prefer to wash my face with a washcloth.
  • theroadto100
    Options
    My Clarisonic keeps me from breaking out, it doesn't cause me to break out. You sure it's not something else you're doing? I only use mine 3 times a week, once a day. My skin was too sensitive to use it every day even with the sensitive brush head.

I can't think of what else it could be... I'm using a gentle cleanser that I used before I even used the clarisonic.
    Also make sure you're using the right brush. I bought the one for sensitive skin, maybe that's what you need?
    I for the mia, so I'm pretty sure it came with the sensitive brush head.
    I've always heard that your skin will break out at first because it's purging - bringing all the crap to the surface. I don't know if that's true. I don't have the clarisonic but I have the olay version. I prefer to wash my face with a washcloth.
    Yeah, I've looked it up online and most places say that's what's going on... so I guess I'll give it a few more weeks.
  • sweetcaroline04
    Options
    I LOVE my Clarisonic! I use mine most days (sensitive brush head) with Cetaphil soap. I've been told that, in the first few weeks, the vibrations loosen up deep sebum and impurities and help your skin purge them-- creating blemishes. With continued use, there won't be anything in there to push out! Don't pop them or use abrasive cleansers, just keep using the Clarisonic with a mild soap on them.. follow with an astringent (witch hazel, etc), a light, non-comodegenic lotion, and then a spot-healing treatment (like tea tree oil)

Are you using the soap that came with it? Some packages come with samples of Clarisonic cleanser-- which contains all sorts of crap, including Nononxyl-9, which is spermicide. I never used it because it contained unnecessary chemicals, but that could be part of it!
  • theroadto100
    Options
    I LOVE my Clarisonic! I use mine most days (sensitive brush head) with Cetaphil soap. I've been told that, in the first few weeks, the vibrations loosen up deep sebum and impurities and help your skin purge them-- creating blemishes. With continued use, there won't be anything in there to push out! Don't pop them or use abrasive cleansers, just keep using the Clarisonic with a mild soap on them.. follow with an astringent (witch hazel, etc), a light, non-comodegenic lotion, and then a spot-healing treatment (like tea tree oil)

Are you using the soap that came with it? Some packages come with samples of Clarisonic cleanser-- which contains all sorts of crap, including Nononxyl-9, which is spermicide. I never used it because it contained unnecessary chemicals, but that could be part of it!

I used that at first, but I've actually been using the cetaphil soap and the cetaphil moisturizer lately. I have tee tree oil, but I haven't put that on the breakouts yet. Maybe I'll try that next.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    There's a possibility it could be hormonal breakouts too. I got those pretty badly a few years ago and went on the pill because of it. Pretty under control now.