"irrational" fears

Options

Replies

• kbeckley11
    kbeckley11 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid, I was terrified that there were people looking in my windows at night intent on killing me. I would lay there perfectly still and breathe as little as possible so that when they looked, they would think I was already dead.

Also, whenever a large ship or large wave is shown in a movie, I get scared. Small boats next to large ships is very scary also.
  • lolators
    lolators Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    mice....RATS!...and POSSUMS!!!
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Only fear I would probably consider irrational would maybe be ants? I can deal with a few of them but if they're hundreds of them every I get really stressed out. I think it has something to do with a bad childhood experience with 'em.

Oh yea! That reminds me of a strange fear I had as a kid... but thankfully I don't anymore. I used to be afraid of anything to do with the brain. The word, the look, anything. Not sure why... must've been something temporary
  • realrayne10
    realrayne10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    The Burger King....the way he leers at you with that un-moving face. Scary. I have a similar feeling towards Constantine Maroulis except he is not as scary and I would gladly punch him in the face if presented the opportunity again.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Since there was a comment about therapists, and I am one, just wanted to chime in.... If someone is seeking therapeutic services to address a fear, telling the client that their fear is irrational and/or not addressing it would not be part of any evidence-based or best practice intervention.

That being said.... I used to be afraid of clowns too, but I used therapy techniques (mainly gradual exposure and cognitive) to get over it. I'll never like clowns though lol.

And that would be why none of them are my therapists anymore. Well, that and a couple actually broke more major code.
    I'm with you on the clowns-they are creepy looking! and birds of all kinds- the beady eyes, long claws (shudder )and Im always thinking they are going to poop on me LOL

I can top you all with the weirdest I bet- I have a fear of toilets overflowing. Especially in public restrooms. I have to have the door open and be on my way out to flush so I dont get trapped in there with an overflowing toilet! Feel free to laugh, Im crazy :) I have embraced my inner crazy and am OK with it :)

I had a job where my first day just as my shift was ending I used the restroom which no one told me was off limits due to the toilet being broken. When I flushed, the water geysered up on to me... with my waste. It's a horrible feeling, so be afraid all you wish!
  • SONIA820
    SONIA820 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I won't sleep naked because of an "irrational" fear of someone driving into my house in the middle of the night. I don't want to have to take the time to get dressed before rushing outside if that happens.

And if you knew how many motor vehicle to stationary object accidents happened on my corner, you wouldn't think it was an irrational fear.

In our house we call that "Firefighter ready" as in I will be ready if my house burns down and I won't be the one wrapped in some wierd towel so the world can't see my lady bits and pieces! NOT IRRATIONAL! :)
  • shady1987dre
    shady1987dre Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I have a fear of Monkeys throwing poop at me!
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I had an 'irrational' fear of a rogue tornado appearing in our tornado-free area... I have many rogue-tornado nightmares each year, and have since i was a kid.

Turns out it was not irrational at all, because a rogue tornado HIT MY HOUSE just 2 days ago!
  • SONIA820
    SONIA820 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    For me, it's spiders and in general flying bugs...UGH...JUNE BUGS are the worst!!! They swarm and dive and I have had them stuck in my middle of my back length hair....gives me the creeps just thinking about it....
  • amv1023
    amv1023 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I won't sleep naked because of an "irrational" fear of someone driving into my house in the middle of the night. I don't want to have to take the time to get dressed before rushing outside if that happens.

And if you knew how many motor vehicle to stationary object accidents happened on my corner, you wouldn't think it was an irrational fear.

I am the same way, except I am afraid the house with start on fire and I will have to run outside naked. Or that I will die in my sleep and be found naked. My house is also on a corner and people run the stop sign all the time...now I will be afraid that they will crash into my house!
  • Kdingo
    Kdingo Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Water. Ocean, Lake.... We are not supposed to go into water. No gills...No fins.... We are just waiting to be eaten by sharks or gators or crocs...(BTW I'm from FL and all of that is totally possible!)
  • kanonxbou47
    kanonxbou47 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Im afraid of clowns, and rabies, because of Stephen king.
    And jungles in Mexico, Scott smith.

And getting fat, cause what if I get fat.
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I can top you all with the weirdest I bet- I have a fear of toilets overflowing. Especially in public restrooms. I have to have the door open and be on my way out to flush so I dont get trapped in there with an overflowing toilet! Feel free to laugh, Im crazy :) I have embraced my inner crazy and am OK with it :)
    *Raises hand* I'll race you out of the stall!

Actually, I'm nearly over this now... but then, I'm over frickin' 50 now, and I have been afraid of this since I was a toddler.

I do keep an eye on the toliet, though, when it flushes, just to make sure.
  • k121777
    k121777 Posts: 306
    Options
    I have an irrational fear of being in my office and having someone come in with a shot gun and start shooting. I have hiding places all picked out and ready in my office. (I keep one cabinet empty in case I need to hide) I even have a large boulder/rock on my desk for the purpose of smashing out my window for a quick escape. I'm constantly looking out my window or down my hallway waiting for this to happen.
  • jocelyn_martin
    Options
    I am 30 years old and slightly freaked out by clowns. It all started when I was little and I sneaked into the living room to watch TV while my mom was asleep. I ended up watching Alien Killer Clowns from Outer Space (I think that's what it's called) and I've never been the same. That same summer we went to the circus and clowns were coming up into the audience to pull some kids to go ride on this long train they had. I went nuts. I just can't understand why any adult person would want to put in crazy make up and clothing and hang out with children.
  • AnneH1977
    AnneH1977 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    The dark. Every noise is something out to get me. I was stalked when I was younger and it still haunts me. There's always someone in the yard or in the house, in my head...its wicked awful. I hate it.
    Makes it very hard to get any sleep ever. Especially since that phobic part of the brain also tell me I must protect the children from the bad person outside.
    Sigh...is hell.
  • SchollinJ
    SchollinJ Posts: 22
    Options
    haha, my fears are completely irrational- frogs, feet, and oompa loompas (my not irrational fear, disappointing people)
  • jocelyn_martin
    Options
    I love this!!! Me too!!!
  • Phoenix1401
    Phoenix1401 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Toilets
    long story...message me if you're curious.
  • TooFatToFit
    TooFatToFit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Someone today told me that some of my fears were irrational.:angry: I replied that to me they are completely rational.:ohwell:

Whether they're irrational or not, they are real, and shouldn't be ridiculed! Maybe I misinterpreted but it sounds like that someone was minimizing them...not fair.

My irrational fear, and I'll admit it's irrational, is of vomit. It's called emetophobia and though I had it as long as I can remember, it really crippled my life for a few years. I didn't figure out all those horrible physical symptoms were actually anxiety and panic until I was in my 30's though. 3 years ago, the phobia was ruining my life and I did Cognitive Behaviour Therapy. The therapist told me on my first day she was going to try and bring my daily anxiety level from a 10+ to a 3, and I played along with her but I just knew there was no way I could ever get that much better. Today, I'd rate my daily anxiety level (emetophobia specific) as a 1. Life is SO much better.

I know it's not as easy to get therapy everywhere as it is in Canada because I didn't have to pay and that might be an obstacle for others, but I am a big advocate of getting the help you need and getting on with life....of not letting something treatable make things so much harder than they have to be and taking all the fun out of it.