Empty stomach morning cardio

Options
Hi!

Anyone doing empty stomach morning cardio with great fat-burning experience?

Thanks!!

Replies

• jnd951999
    jnd951999 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I know they say your not supposed to do this but yes I am guilty. I like to work out without eating first then jump in the shower. I always weigh the least at that time.
  • work4it777
    Options
    Yes, I do it daily, and there is NOTHING wrong with doing it. I do it not only because people say you burn more, but also I do not like to run after I eat...
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Yes and I believe it works........it has for me.
  • DawnTownsend4
    Options
    I never eat before cardio... I feel sick if I do.. I have a protein shake after..
  • vickthedick
    vickthedick Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I wasn't aware this was a sin. i never eat before cardio. I hate running on a full stomach
  • JMarigold
    JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I used to do this, but in my early twenties (since I'm SO old now :laugh:) but I have hard time getting myself to do it these days. Would it really work better if I could get myself to do it RIGHT after I get up in morning?
  • dperich1968
    dperich1968 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I can't eat before cardio, it makes me feel sick. I have about a half cup of coffee in the morning and then cardio. A good breakfast right after.
  • iwantniceabs
    iwantniceabs Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I've found that fasted cardio (especially sprints) has worked well for me. And the best time to fast is when you are asleep :)

*I should say - this has worked well for me for many reasons - I get a great calorie burn in early instead of being too tired and skipping it at night, and my body feels good in the morning without any food trying to make it's way through my digestive system. I don't imagine that it burns many more calories than if I did the same thing later on in the day.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Used to 3x a week. But I've never been a morning person so shifted back do doing it in the evening after work. I think any effect on actual fat burn is negligible or nil.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the "great fat burning experience" but if I'm swmming/biking/running (or any combintation of) for less than 2 hours I will usually do it on an empty stomach in the AM.
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Hang-on here. Before intensive cardio you should have something, granted it should be an hour+ before. I passed out on a ten-mile run before breakfast, and now do no more than three or four miles unless I've had something to eat...
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Doesn't work for me. I've tried, and I get light-headed and have to sit down.
  • DIVAFIT43
    DIVAFIT43 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yep, I work out as soon as I wake up. However, I do make my protein shake before and drink it as I work out. I find that I perform better doing it this way.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I do, because I try to workout after a morning pill and it needs an hour between food. I do drink something with electrolytes to help me push through.
  • christinet8504
    Options
    I think it just depends on you and how much you're working out in the morning. My morning workouts are normally just to wake me up and consist of about 30 mins on the treadmill. I can do that on an empty stomach no prob but I normally grab a bar or something for the walk to the gym.
  • wyze
    wyze Posts: 248
    Options
    I dont eat before cardio, but that is mostly because i exercise first thing in the morning, about 5:30am or 6am ish. Its too early for me to eat around that time.

I am really unaware that it had great fat burning tendencies, and if it does i bet it isnt that much. More concerned with just getting the exercise done. Feels good to be done with it as early as 8am :-)
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I tend to do half my cardio on an empty stomach or if anything is consumed, a protein supplement. I play basketball a few times before work in the morning so it's straight out of bed and into the gym.

Eating afterwards though feels so satisfying xD
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I know they say your not supposed to do this but yes I am guilty. I like to work out without eating first then jump in the shower. I always weigh the least at that time.

My morning exactly.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I would probably die if I didnt eat before cardio. Especially in the morning. Im like a ravenous beast when I wake up. I like to have a 400-500 cal breakfast. I always eat before working out/cardio.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 5:30 am to get my workout on so yes I do my zumba on empty stomach. After I'm done I grab a greek yogurt for a quick snack. I then eat my breakfast after I put my kids on the bus at 8:30 am. It has always worked for me.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!