• LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    i wanna start lifting heavy weights to but don't know where to start! lol

New Rules of Weightlifting for Women. I know several women who have read this book and they love it.

What he said. Also ChaLEAN Extreme is good.
    I am also considering Stronglifts 5x5 at some point.
  • aapayette
    aapayette Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you guys log for HIIT? I do something like this, but I never know how many calories I burn and can't afford a monitor right now. I know everyone's different, but an average would be nice
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Around 275 to 300. The benefit of HIIT is not calories burned during but EPOC (Excess Post-exercise Oxygyn Consumption) It is at a rate of about 14% for some period of time. How long is a mattter of different opinions. According to Lyle Mcdonald on the site www.bodyrecompostiion.com he estimates HIIT for a 20 minute session total burn at about the same as 40 to 45 minute stready state burn factoring EPOC for both.

That being said, total burn is not my primary reason for doing it as I can get higher burn on a 1 hour run. The reason is it's time efficeint and it increases overall fitness especially VO2. It's just one piece of an overall fitness strategy. It's also not new. It's been around since early the last century as a training technique. It just seems to fall in and out of vogue and based on the amount of threads around here lately, it very in right now!
  • glowbuggy
    glowbuggy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sabawden
    sabawden Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    bumpity
  • AbiNichole
    AbiNichole Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I love HIIT! I do TurboFire for now but will start Insanity once I reach my 1/2 way goal. I also do it on the elliptical. Amazingness.

Two words of caution:

1.) If you do it in the AM you will probably be a little hungrier throughout the day. I guess that's becuz your metabolism is in over drive. I find it hard to stay within my cals when I do it in the AM. But then it also gives me extra energy so I usually am motivated to get in a 2nd workout in the evening. Pros & cons I guess.

2.) If you do it at night you MIGHT have trouble sleeping. I often workout pretty late (becuz I have a huge crush on this trainer at the gym who walks me home when the gym closes. :smooched: ) I always have trouble sleeping so I have tea that has valerian, melatonin, and chamomile. My fav brand is Yogi "Bedtime" tea. Even then sometimes it takes me a while to fall asleep. Just a word to the wise.

Good luck girl! The benefits are def worth trying it! :flowerforyou:
  • Snapplejac
    Snapplejac Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I box for my HIIT, my partner holds up the pads and I have a 3min warm up and then go as hard and as fast as I can for 20 seconds. By the third consecutive session I don't have the speed or the strength of the first one, but my heart rate goes through the roof each time :) It's definitely increased my capacity to swim for longer/faster. It doesn't sound like much but there's no way I could keep that up for longer! I guess over the months as I become fitter I'll increase the time, most likely i'll increase frequency/number of repeats per session rather than aiming for massively longer sessions.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Before the thread derails into a fight over TABATA and HIIT....

If you can do 45 minutes that is Fabulous, but OP is brand new to this. It probably would be best if OP starts with a smaller time period (20 minutes or so) and gradually works up to longer periods.

I've been doing HIIT semi-regularly for a few months and sometimes I still can't make it to 20 minutes. So, OP do what you can do for now and always try to improve. If you can only make it 5 minutes right now, that is still awesome!

i agree -- im not saying you have to -- sometimes i do interval sprinting but only for like 10 min
  • charliesmagic
    Options
    Bump to read and follow. Thanks for posting!!
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    For the high intensity part... in lieu of speed, can you do a big increase in resistance instead (if you were doing something like an elliptical, say)?

unfortunately no. the high intensity is meant to get your heart rate way up. If you do a big resistance you will be at slower more aerobic rate.

put a spinning bike up to 80% level and pedal as fast as you can...tell me if your heart rate goes way up or not.
  • persilcolours
    persilcolours Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    bump
  • HotBodUnderConstruction
    Options
    I did Insanity (HIIT) for 2 months and my cardio is now off the chart and I lost 14 pounds (only need to lose another 4 and I'm at my ideal weight). I thoroughly recommend this type of training.

http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/insanity.do

have a look :)

I though Insanity was max intensity interval training (long periods of high intensity followed by short recovery)

OP: HIIT is usually a 1:1 or a 1:3 ratio with recovery. If doing HIIT at a track or treadmill you essentially sprint for 30 seconds to 1 minute, then do a recovery walk/jog for the same duration, or up to 3 times as long. so you can sprint for 30 seconds, recovery 30 seconds, repeat, or sprint 1 min recover 2 min repeat.

Since it is high intensity the workout only need to last for 15-20 minutes, if you can go longer, then push yourself harder.

So, if what matters are calories in vs calories out, what benefits do HiiT workouts offer ? Just cardiovascular fitness? In other words, what difference does it make if it takes me 45 minutes to burn 300 calories on an elliptical, versus 300 in 20 minutes doing HIIT?
  • diagyrl
    diagyrl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Ok - I think I had this wrong -

I thought it was 2 minutes of killing yourself and 1 minute of recovery --- I was having a really hard time with this and I couldn't make it through my 10 repetitions ... I was having pinching/uncomfortable feelings in my chest.

So is it better to do it like that with the 2 minutes to 1 until you can't do it anymore -- by the end it is more like 1.5 minutes on and 3 minutes off .....

Or should I be doing 30 sec to 1 min on & then 1 - 3 minutes off???

Just looking for the best way to do this to move some weight ... if I could get some weight off it ould help with exercise & joint pain!

Hugs - Dia
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    Ok - I think I had this wrong -

I thought it was 2 minutes of killing yourself and 1 minute of recovery --- I was having a really hard time with this and I couldn't make it through my 10 repetitions ... I was having pinching/uncomfortable feelings in my chest.

So is it better to do it like that with the 2 minutes to 1 until you can't do it anymore -- by the end it is more like 1.5 minutes on and 3 minutes off .....

Or should I be doing 30 sec to 1 min on & then 1 - 3 minutes off???

Just looking for the best way to do this to move some weight ... if I could get some weight off it ould help with exercise & joint pain!

Hugs - Dia

It has very little to do with actual time and a lot to do with intensity. But as soon as someone sstarts talking minutes, they are no longer at high intensity.
  • samb330
    samb330 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    bump
  • camelotss
    camelotss Posts: 55
    Options
    Bump!