Calorie Intake

Options
On my MFP food diary, it says that my daily calories are set to 1990... Is this what I should be consuming or is this too much because mostly everyone on here says to stay under 1500... Help guys, please?

Replies

• scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    On my MFP food diary, it says that my daily calories are set to 1990... Is this what I should be consuming or is this too much because mostly everyone on here says to stay under 1500... Help guys, please?

it depends on your stats/activity level/desired level of weight loss. ?
  • nickyrobinson
    nickyrobinson Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Mine are 1910, for 5'9", 270 pounds. I am set to lose 1 lb/week.

If you are taller and/or heavier, your calories will be much higher than someone who is short and/or light.

If you went through the MFP guided set up and 1990 is what you got, it's likely a pretty good starting spot.
  • chunkymonkey414
    chunkymonkey414 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I now weigh 232.4 and am 5'1 so idk if it's supposed to be better or not. every time you lose do you update your calorie intake? or will the program do it automatically?
  • scottc561
    Options
    I now weigh 232.4 and am 5'1 so idk if it's supposed to be better or not. every time you lose do you update your calorie intake? or will the program do it automatically?

Your bmr is about 1770, so you may have input something wrong. Or did you input a workout? Because it will add your workout calories to your daily total automatically. Does it say 1990 before you input anything into your diary? If so redo it, it's off.
  • nickyrobinson
    Options
    After 10 pounds of weight loss, it prompts you to update your goals, but you can do it any time want to. I do it every time I record a weight loss, just because it makes me happy. :-)
  • nickyrobinson
    Options
    Oh, it also depends on the weight loss rater you selected. your calories will be higher the lower rater you select. I tried plugging in your numbers, and they are pretty close if you selected .5 lb/week, but high if you selected 1 lb/week or more.
  • amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    when I started I consumed about 2000 a day and I lost weight.
  • scottc561
    Options
    To figure out your goals manually figure your bmr. It is approx. 1770 from the info you gave. Then you have to figure out your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) good site for this is here http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/

So as an example if your sedentary your TDEE is approx. 2121.
    Then multiply your TDEE x7 2121x7=14847 (that's an estimate of how many calories you burn per week)

Then subtract 3500 calories for every 1lb of week loss you wish to lose per week. So say you want to lose 1lb per week then
    14847-3500=11347 and divide that by 7days which =1621 calories. That is what you would eat per day assuming my numbers are correct. If you want to lose 2lbs then subtract by 7000 instead of 3500. I would not go over 2lbs per week. I'm pretty tired so hope I didn't mess up the numbers lol.
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options

Your bmr is about 1770, so you may have input something wrong. Or did you input a workout? Because it will add your workout calories to your daily total automatically. Does it say 1990 before you input anything into your diary? If so redo it, it's off.

Scott's right, I performed the BMR check on MFP as well and it definitely says your calorie amount to eat a day is 1,767.
    My BMR is 1,945 and MFP and I have a limit of 1,730.
    From these numbers I would say sticking to 1,500 calories a day would be a pretty accurate amount for you,

MFP calculated that if I want a loss of 1 and a 1/2 pounds a week
    Did you select a lower rate of loss per week? This would increase your allowed calorie limit per day.
  • HittingHerStride
    Options
    I have mine set at 1700, I am averaging a lb a week
  • chunkymonkey414
    chunkymonkey414 Posts: 21 Member
    Options

Sorry, I was counting how much i've lost. i'm down to like 1600 or something I believe.