Stretching -- Before, after or none at all?

Options
Hey guys,
I recently started my path on weight lifting / strength training. I've been working out 6 times a week and last night I woke up in the middle of the night with the worst muscular pain in my life -- coincidentally (or not) one day after I forgot to stretch after a particularly rough session of exercising.
Despite of that, I've read before that not stretching isn't really bad for you and it could actually improve your results. Also, not every trainer I've had agreed if the stretching should be done before, after, before and after or not done at all, It's always been kinda confusing to me.

What do you guys think? What do you usually do? Do you know of particularly good researches on the subject?

Thank you very much!

Replies

• Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I usually don't do any stretching before lifting, but I've tried to make a habit of doing it after. I've tried to get in the habit of foam rolling afterward too. I've heard people foam roll before their lifting as well to help open up their hips and things like that.
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Dynamic stretching.snd s wsrm up beore ( ex 5-10 minutes on elliptical) I also spend a decent smount of time stretching after or I hurt a lote worse and for longer. :-)
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do but the majority of the time I suffer from impatience.
  • Pistol_Pete_53
    Pistol_Pete_53 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I used to play college football, hence a lot of heavy weight training. I never had a strength coach that didn't agree on stretching both before and after. Before working out doing a kinetic stretching sesh (moving stretches), and post workout doing static stretching (still stretches like your typical sit on your butt and touch your toes type stuff). The pre stretch helps prevent injury, looses up and warms up your muscles. The post workout static stretch really helps your flexibility because your muscles are nice and warm and is a big factor in making you less sore the next day. As far as strength goes, flexibility plays an important part.. being flexible really helps with gains.
  • SinkTheBismarck
    Options
    Thank you very much!
  • LaVieEnRaw
    Options
    I actually do a session of hatha [flow] yoga before my actual workout! Not only does it burn a few calories, but it really makes my workout a lot smoother, and my endurance goes way up.
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I never used to stretch before doing any exercise but nowadays as I'm starting to get a bit older I spend at least a few minutes stretching if I'm starting cold. These days as well instead of driving to the courts I walk the 2.5km which enough of a stretch/warm up in my opinion as my body has loosened up and all.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Dynamic stretching.snd s wsrm up beore ( ex 5-10 minutes on elliptical) I also spend a decent smount of time stretching after or I hurt a lote worse and for longer. :-)

^^This^^
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I like to stretch only when the muscles are warm
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    The type of stretching you should do before is the kind that warms up your muscles. ")
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i never stretch..it doesnt seem to bother me. i think there are conflicting studies..just like most things fitness
  • SinkTheBismarck
    Options
    Thank you all, it's greatly appreciated!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    YESYESYESYESYES!
    Dynamic before && static after!
  • lionwes59
    lionwes59 Posts: 11
    Options
    i usually warm up first with an easy walk on the treadmill then a light stretch before working out. during the workout i will stretch the muscles i just finished working, but nothing to deep. afterwards i do a pretty thorough stretch while the muscles are still warm from the workout. hope that helps.