burn extra calories during extra awake hours?

Options
In my job, I am sometimes awake extra hours during the night when I would normally be sleeping. My question is, should I account for extra calories burned when I am awake at night or not? I have looked up the difference between sleeping and just sitting and find a difference of 95 cal per hour, but do know that if I am up, I am not just sitting the whole time. Also, how many hours of sleep does mfp assume we are getting normally? I'm just a bundle of questions, but I am trying to do this the right way this time around :smile: Thanks in advance to anyone that has good answers to my questions!

Replies

• shansd
    shansd Posts: 48
    Options
    do you mean that you are awake unusual hours or that you are not sleeping a lot?

It is important to get enough sleep when you are trying to lose weight (and even just for your health)
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    As an RN I work night shifts. When I do that I still eat the same calorie number with the day starting over at midnight. You just shift the numbers around a bit. You do need to eat and you do burn more calories but usually I made up for it with all the eating I did because I was tired. I wouldn't apply anymore calories for awake vs sleep time--I would just call it bonus calories to make you lose that much faster. Of course assuming that you don't eat more because you are tired. That always messed me up. :blushing: :grumble:

:flowerforyou:
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    As an RN I work night shifts. When I do that I still eat the same calorie number with the day starting over at midnight. You just shift the numbers around a bit. You do need to eat and you do burn more calories but usually I made up for it with all the eating I did because I was tired. I wouldn't apply anymore calories for awake vs sleep time--I would just call it bonus calories to make you lose that much faster. Of course assuming that you don't eat more because you are tired. That always messed me up. :blushing: :grumble:

:flowerforyou:

I'm a CRN and starting back to work next week after 2 yrs on a back to work program. Not looking forward to the shifting and the eating changes and less time to work out, nevermind missing :drinker: goin on MFP! You need at least 8 hours of sleep, because that's when your muscles recover and grow!
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I just switched shift this week. I work 23:30-07:30.
    The first day was a little screwy, but after that, I just switched my times.
    Breakfast at 16:00, snack/lunch before work and then snack/dinner/snack at work.

Candace, to answer your question I would treat it as you are awake.
    If you know you are going to be up 3-4 hours, definately have a small meal or snack.
    If it's on the spur of the moment that you might have to stay awake, then keep something handy, some snack bars etc.

hmo4,
    You can do it.
    I still have time to get a workout in, after breakfast 17:00 or when I get home from work 8:00.
    We don't have time because we don't make time, or we get into the old lazy feeling.
    Make it a priority to do, and you'll be fine.
  • CandaceW
    CandaceW Posts: 73
    Options
    Candace, to answer your question I would treat it as you are awake.
    If you know you are going to be up 3-4 hours, definately have a small meal or snack.
    If it's on the spur of the moment that you might have to stay awake, then keep something handy, some snack bars etc.

thanks...that was what i was thinking, but just wanted some backup...nothing like getting that 2 am ambulance call to keep you up during the night. I know that i had to do cpr for about 30 minutes at 2 am a couple of weeks ago...when i got done, i felt as if i could have eaten the northbound end of a southbound cow :bigsmile: controlled myself though, and just went with a little more for breakfast.