Re Comments: a confession & request for help...

Options

Replies

• snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    I just saw a thread about that... lol sorry I don't provide it.. but you could probably find it searching WTG in the search function.
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    Love you Miss Evelyn:love:

You are a great inspiration and remember us september girls need to stick togther:drinker:

I am on EST time but I work 3rd shift, I would most definitely be in bed :yawn: if I was not *suppose* to be working:laugh:
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i usually post \0/

its a cheering little guy

thats all you get and it should be enough, he's magic and ample reward for doing some exercise or not logging a suicide attempt through food for the day.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    A LIST FOR YOU:flowerforyou:

Take a bow! Woop-woop!
    Exceptional! I knew you had it in you!
    Splendid! Kick *kitten*!
    Fabulous! KEEP IT UP
    Stunning! NICE
    GOOD GREAT
    GROOVY WOWSA
    Nice one! WAY 2 GO
    High Five! Spot on!
    Phenomenal! Happy-happy, joy-joy!
    Terrific! WOOT
    WELL DONE *LIKE*
    Bravo!
    Super Duper!
    You're #1!
    Stupendous!
    Outstanding!
    Excellent!
    Superb!
    Spectacular!
    Incredible!
    WTG
    Extraordinary!
    Marvelous!
    Wonderful!
    Keep up the good work!
    Two thumbs up!
    Amazing!
    Great success!
    YAY!!!
    Hooray for you!
    You're inspiring!
    First rate!
    Sensational!
    Breathtaking!
    5 star!
    Out of sight!
    A+!
    Class act!
    WOW!!!
    You should be proud!
    Going the extra mile!
    Magnificent!
    Perfect!
    Shining star
    Beautiful!
    Hats off 2 u!
    SUPER
    Lovely!
    Impressive!
    Wicked!
    Cool!
    Radical!
    Sweet!
    Awesome!
    You ROCK!
    Wowzers!
    Brilliant!
    Alright!
    YES!!!
    That's the way!
    Top notch!

:heart: Thank you so much, Lisa. :heart: That is so kind, and caring, and encouraging. :heart:

I may just print out a bunch of copies of that and put them up all over my house. :happy:
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of offended on behalf of all those you wish to throw emotional jollies at, like throwing fish to dol;phins in a swim tank.

Tell the truth or say nothing. If you think someone did well, say well done. If you think something's amazing, say 'amazing'.

But don't lie and don't manipulate and don't sit there working out how to sound sincere as you lay on the honey with a trowel.

I wish to distance myself from all of you. If I say 'wow, that's fantastic' it's because I, at the age of 42, having lived a life, consider it fantastic. not because I'm trying to feed you an emotional lolly to keep you, you poor failure of a person, going One More Day.

What has this world come to?
  • lisa28115
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
    I'm kind of offended on behalf of all those you wish to throw emotional jollies at, like throwing fish to dol;phins in a swim tank.

Tell the truth or say nothing. If you think someone did well, say well done. If you think something's amazing, say 'amazing'.

But don't lie and don't manipulate and don't sit there working out how to sound sincere as you lay on the honey with a trowel.

I wish to distance myself from all of you. If I say 'wow, that's fantastic' it's because I, at the age of 42, having lived a life, consider it fantastic. not because I'm trying to feed you an emotional lolly to keep you, you poor failure of a person, going One More Day.

No need to be offended...
    If you wish to distance yourself...please do
    maybe you should go have a cookie:bigsmile:
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    I'll be completely honest. I think its a bit awkward when someone says "its awesome!" or "way to go!" on some of my friends diaries who are obviously undereating (500 cal net a day...)... now I don't stick my nose in their business and comment "eat more wth are you doing!" but i think its encouraging very poor habits.
  • lisa28115
    Options
    I'll be completely honest. I think its a bit awkward when someone says "its awesome!" or "way to go!" on some of my friends diaries who are obviously undereating (500 cal net a day...)... now I don't stick my nose in their business and comment "eat more wth are you doing!" but i think its encouraging very poor habits.

I don't do that....if i see they are eating below 1200 calories my comment is...EAT:bigsmile:
  • lisa28115
    Options

I don't do that....if i see they are eating below 1200 calories my comment is...EAT:bigsmile:

Same goes for someone I see eating ice cream and browinies and going way over their goal...i try to encorage them to make better choices
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Options

You are a great inspiration and remember us september girls need to stick togther:drinker:

I am on EST time but I work 3rd shift, I would most definitely be in bed :yawn: if I was not *suppose* to be working:laugh:

Thanks so much, LIsa. :flowerforyou: You are such a wonderful sweetheart of a friend. :heart:

I had a very dear friend from Tennesee who used to call me "Miss Evelyn" - it really touches my heart to hear it again. :flowerforyou:

I didn't count you among those who are "probably quite sensibly alseep" because you were the first in the rush to tell me that you loved all my comments no matter how trite or repetitive they were ( <= my own wording: you put it much more nicely than that :bigsmile: ), and because, well, I did say "sensibly." :smile:
    (Maybe you were sensible before they stuck you on graveyards, but now... :wink: )

(Oh, and, not for nothing, but - I do kind of hope you're on EDT (Eastern *Daylight* Time) by now :laugh: )
  • lisa28115
    Options

Thanks so much, LIsa. :flowerforyou: You are such a wonderful sweetheart of a friend. :heart:

I had a very dear friend from Tennesee who used to call me "Miss Evelyn" - it really touches my heart to hear it again. :flowerforyou:

I didn't count you among those who are "probably quite sensibly alseep" because you were the first in the rush to tell me that you loved all my comments no matter how trite or repetitive they were ( <= my own wording: you put it much more nicely than that :bigsmile: ), and because, well, I did say "sensibly." :smile:
    (Maybe you were sensible before they stuck you on graveyards, but now... :wink: )

(Oh, and, not for nothing, but - I do kind of hope you're on EDT (Eastern *Daylight* Time) by now :laugh: )

yes I am on EDT time now

I am in North Carolina and all the drivers here call me Miss Lisa
    I guess it is a "SOUTHERN THANG":laugh:
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I do feel like a parrot sometimes. I don't comment on everything but I always comment on weight loss because I genuinely am pleased for my friends and I like to congratulate them. However, it probably sounds a little insincere because I use the same phrases all the time 'sweet' , 'nice one', 'well done' etc.

I have about 50 friends and if several of them weigh in on the same day it looks like I'm just churning out the words but I genuinely mean them, I think (hope) my friends know that and so I don't sweat it too much. I mean what else is there to say without being a human thesaurus?
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Options
    @KrisyKat
    I also created a post on this topic!!!
    Great list - thanks! :)

@elisabat
    I do my encouragements in a different language everyday thanks to google translate. Today it's Croatian.

Nevjerojatan!
    LOL!
    Or, seeing as there's nothing like Latvian on a Thursday -
    "Smejas skaļi!" :happy:

@chairless
    i usually post \0/

its a cheering little guy

thats all you get and it should be enough, he's magic and ample reward for doing some exercise or not logging a suicide attempt through food for the day.
    Thanks. Cheering Little Guy is great, and I can feel the magic already.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Options

Well, see, those are some of the problems I have. I don't want to lie or misrepresent myself, or to find myself working hard at "faking sincerity."

If someone's burned 112 calories doing 16.5 minutes of "Something Almost Like Exercise," I'm not going to say "WTG!!! Awesome Burn!!!"
    But what am I gonna say? "Nice try"? "Good Start"? "E for Effort?"

And if someone's food diary is full of food choices that, while not truly "bad" ala Doritos and ice cream served over pastrami, aren't choices I would want to make for myself, I'm not going to say "Excellent day!"
    But what am I going to say?
    (...okay, I got nothing... ....I can't even think up some ridiculous fake thing that I'd never actually say to go here...)

And logging another day under one's calorie goal is an accomplishment, but not really one of full "Yip-yippitty yippee kai-yai-ay!!!" magnitude. "Well done" does work nicely, but how many times?
    ...Too many "Well done" 's ( <= okay, I have no idea how I should be punctuating that), and I start to feel like I'm ordering a steak. (And I like mine medium rare, anyway ;).

For things that *are* awesome, I do use "Awesome." But, again, if I use it too many times; I'm afraid I'll revert to the youth I wasted on the early 1980's in California, and start saying things like: "TOT-ally mega-b****in', dude! I mean, like, se-e-eriously!"
    (Well, okay - I just might use that one :)
    (ETA: Oops - since the "b-word" is prohibited, I just might not. :)

(The thing is that any word, repeated enough times, starts to sound nonsensical. Try it - take some utterly unsilly-sounding word, like "incandescent" or "adept," and repeat it over and over and over. By the time you've done fifty repeats, I bet you'll think it'd fit right in with something like "Twas bryllyg, and ye slythy toves; Did gyre and gymble in ye wabe...")

So I can't do "one reponse fits all," because one response *doesn't* fit all. (And because too much repetition leads to me quoting Lewis Carroll in the middle of the night....)

No, I'm not going to say what I don't mean. But sometimes it's tough figuring out how to say what I do mean.
  • kailaburch89
    kailaburch89 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I googled it and got this
    Wow! Great job! Now you've got it!
    Awesome! Outrageous! You have a lot of talent
    Superior! Fantastic! Very much improved.
    Right on! Outstanding! You're the best!
    Nice job. I'll take that. That's a commendable job.
    Wonderful. Fabulous! You can do it!
    Good going! You're great! That's thoughtful of you.
    Groovy! Hang ten! You're good at this.
    Good job. Good work. Keep up the good work.
    Clever! Correct! I liked the way Mat cleaned his desk.
    Incredible! Impressive! I like the way Mark raised his hand.
    Nice work. I'm proud of you. Now that's creative!
    Bravo! Applause. It's been a pleasure to be with you.
    Hug. Hot dog! Hamburger, two fries and a shake!
    Shaka sign. Give me five! You are very precious!
    :) Smile! Kawabanga dudes!
    Laugh! That's hip! That was BAD! :)
    That's nice. I'm touched. That's so funny! Ha Ha Ha!
    Terrific! Thank you. I can see you enjoy learning.
    Great! Good cooperation. You were very courageous.
    Whoopie! That was fun. I like your enthusiasm.
    Aha! Great! You really outdid yourself.
    Artistic! Chicken skin You are very intelligent.
    Cool! I like malama too!
    That's Incredible! How Extraordinary! Far Out! Outstanding Performance! I can't get over it! Great! Amazing Effort! Unbelievable Work! Wonderful! Marvelous! Phenomenal! You've Got It! Superb! Cool! Excellent! You're Special! Your work is out of sight! Your projectis first rate! You've outdone yourself! Way To Go! Thumbs Up! You're a good friend! You came through! Terrific! You tried hard! Your help counts! You made it happen! It coun't be better! Fantastic work! You're a real trooper! Fabulous! Bravo! Exceptional! You're Unique! Awesome! Breathtaking! The time you put in really shows! You're a great example for others! Keep up the good work! I knew you had it in you! Dynamite! Its everything I hoped for! You should be proud of yourself! What an imagination! You made the difference! Well Done!

You're Sensational! Very Good! A plus work! Super Job! Good for you! Take a bow! You figured it out! Great answer! You're doing a lot better! Thanks for being honest! How artistic! Hooray for you! You're a Joy! How thoughtful of you! You're amazing! You're getting there! What a great idea! You deserve a hug! Thanks for trying! You've made great progress! You're getting better! You're a big help! You're neat! You've got what it takes! You're #1! You're a shining star! You can be trusted! Wow! Remarkable! Beautiful! I'm so proud of you! Very impressive! You're sharp! You're a winner! Hot Dog! Spectacular word! You're so kind! You've really grown up! What a great listener! Thanks for helping! great Discovery! You've earned my respect! Thanks for caring! You're A-Okay! You're a great kid! How original! You're a champ! You're a pleasure to know! Very brave! What a genius! You're very talented! You're the greatest! You're very special! You're super! You on target! I love you!

LOL :) hope that helps :)
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Options
    ...I had a very dear friend from Tennesee who used to call me "Miss Evelyn" - it really touches my heart to hear it again. :flowerforyou:
    ....I am in North Carolina and all the drivers here call me Miss Lisa
    I guess it is a "SOUTHERN THANG" :laugh:
    It's a "Southern Thang" that I feel very fond of, Miss Lisa :smile:

"Southern Thangs" being not all that thick on the ground here in the upper left-hand corner of the US, I try to latch onto the ones I like. :love:
  • kailaburch89
    kailaburch89 Posts: 69 Member
    Options

Wow thats kind of sad that you feel the need to say these nasty things, this lady was only asking to help find motivational words so she can continue to motivate her friends to keep going and keep losing weight, if you cant see this then you seriously do NOT understand what MFP is all about :(
  • Cobehale
    Cobehale Posts: 54 Member
    Options

Wow thats kind of sad that you feel the need to say these nasty things, this lady was only asking to help find motivational words so she can continue to motivate her friends to keep going and keep losing weight, if you cant see this then you seriously do NOT understand what MFP is all about :(

I agree, I think it is great that people put effort into being encouraging and supportive. Good for you OP! I hope I can be as supportive to my friends.

remember what Thumper's mom told him....If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Reading through this thread, I understand what you say Evelyn, and I too try and vary my responses - often write several lines (yes I talk too much :laugh: ).

But I have to say, after reading your posts, you have a great imagination and a great way with words, and I am sure whatever you write is appreciated by your friends. :flowerforyou:

I love getting little geeups each day :happy:
  • MommaFuhrer
    MommaFuhrer Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    :heart: