Morning cardio with empty stomach

Options

Replies

• billtonkin
    billtonkin Posts: 109
    Options
    I do HIIT on empty stomach first thing in the morning. With excess food in stomach, I feel a bit 'heavier' so to speak. So it's hard.
    BUT if I do weight training, I will eat first before doing it. Empty stomach weight training makes me feel dizzy.

To one his own, I think. =D

I used to do HIIT fasted, until I read this.

http://alanaragon.com/myths-under-the-microscope-part-2-false-hopes-for-fasted-cardio.html
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I go strictly on a day to day basis. If I wake and i'm hungry i make my protein shake, drink a little of it then workout...otherwise i mix aminos in my water and workout....really just depends on how i personally am feeling!
  • murdy745
    murdy745 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I usually work out on an empty stomach!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    wake up 445 and hit the gym by 530, i need more time to work through food than that. I coffee, water, exercise, breakfast. I don't do it for any physiolocial reason, except that if I ate that close to exercise I'd boot (and while that may be someone's idea of a weightloss plan, it's certainly not mine). I've actually gotten so far out of the practice of eating before my morning workout that even on weekends I'll just hold my first meal of the day off until around 11 when I get home from the gym.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    As to this, I'm not sure I agree with that, but its hard to argue with a certified personal trainer,

While I certainly think Ninerbuff knows his stuff, I wouldn't let the personal trainer tag get in the way of any discussion or disagreement. There are plenty of bad trainers out there and I bet Niner would tell you the same.

Reminds me of the old saying that the guy that graduates last in his medical school is still called doctor. In my work I have seen many people that have all the certifications to be a Dr but do not need to be anywhere near a living patient.
  • msfit777
    msfit777 Posts: 9
    Options
    I do a 20 minute primarily cardio work out (sometimes I use light/medium free weights) every a.m. when I first wake up but I always eat w/in 1 hour of getting up. It works for me-I feel that it energizes me and gets my day off to a good start.
  • UntinyDancer
    Options
    One behavioral change I made that helped me off my three-week plateau was doing a walk when I woke up, before eating. I do up to 30 minutes, as hard as I want to push myself before all my muscles have limbered up.

That helped a whole lot.

Figuring if a little was good, a lot would be great, I did a 3-hour walk on an empty stomach first thing on a Saturday morning. Bad idea. My body went into starvation mode, I was hungry all day, and ate a lot more than I would have otherwise.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    As to this, I'm not sure I agree with that, but its hard to argue with a certified personal trainer, my understanding and what has worked for me is to push myself for 30 to 60 minutes HARD, normally its 30 to 40 minutes six times a week and get your heart rate up so that you burn calories even after the workout. I could be wrong, I have no certifications but I need to feel the burn, the sweat, the heart beating hard to feel likeI have accomplished anything. Like I said, I am no expert, just read a lot and try things out. So far, its been good. I try to change up the cardio machines as well although its hard when my favorite one is the teadmill. I am not sure one way is the right way, we are all so different. I have had friends lose a ton of weight doing low intensity but the weight loss was slower. But weight loss is weight loss, get er done no matter what it takes!!!!

Also, I don't know what HIT is? If its intervals then please ignore what I said before. I have been doing 1 minute 4.0, one minute 5.0, one minute 6.0 one minute 7.0, then back down to 4.0, repeat. 30-40 minutes of that I'm a sweating machine
    If the intensity is too high (70% and above of max heart rate) and your glycogen is depleted low enough from a fasted state in the morning, then to comp for that energy needed, the body will catabolize muscle (especially if you're not in positive nitrogen balance) since it's easier for the liver to break down muscle for energy than fat. That's why I believe it's important not to go 65% over max heart rate. But the calorie burn for the duration at this intensity isn't really worth the time put in my opinion which is why I don't really have clients do it unless they really want to.
    And HIIT is kinda of like that but the intensity is usually much higher (unless running at 7.0 is really hard for you). I've had clients go up to 10.0 to 12.0 for 20 to 30 seconds on HIIT.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Are you quoting Km's or miles when you say 10 to 12?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    I eat before cardio and feel fine. I've tried not eating until afterwards but for up to an hour after I'm just not hungry, anyone know why??
    It's normal. Intensity of exercise can have an appetite suppressing effect. That's why if some feel a craving coming on, it's suggested to do a quick hard workout.

IDEA Fitness member
  • suziecue66
    Options
    I eat before cardio and feel fine. I've tried not eating until afterwards but for up to an hour after I'm just not hungry, anyone know why??
    It's normal. Intensity of exercise can have an appetite suppressing effect. That's why if some feel a craving coming on, it's suggested to do a quick hard workout.

IDEA Fitness member

That's good to know!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    As to this, I'm not sure I agree with that, but its hard to argue with a certified personal trainer,

While I certainly think Ninerbuff knows his stuff, I wouldn't let the personal trainer tag get in the way of any discussion or disagreement. There are plenty of bad trainers out there and I bet Niner would tell you the same.
    Yep. A cert doesn't ensure true knowledge. Luckily I don't just sit back and accept a lot of the Fitness Industry myths that circulate. I look at actual Journals of Study that have peer reviewed information. So Sidesteal is right, don't just take the word of a PT. Experience and knowledge I have on my side.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    As to this, I'm not sure I agree with that, but its hard to argue with a certified personal trainer, my understanding and what has worked for me is to push myself for 30 to 60 minutes HARD, normally its 30 to 40 minutes six times a week and get your heart rate up so that you burn calories even after the workout. I could be wrong, I have no certifications but I need to feel the burn, the sweat, the heart beating hard to feel likeI have accomplished anything. Like I said, I am no expert, just read a lot and try things out. So far, its been good. I try to change up the cardio machines as well although its hard when my favorite one is the teadmill. I am not sure one way is the right way, we are all so different. I have had friends lose a ton of weight doing low intensity but the weight loss was slower. But weight loss is weight loss, get er done no matter what it takes!!!!

Also, I don't know what HIT is? If its intervals then please ignore what I said before. I have been doing 1 minute 4.0, one minute 5.0, one minute 6.0 one minute 7.0, then back down to 4.0, repeat. 30-40 minutes of that I'm a sweating machine
    If the intensity is too high (70% and above of max heart rate) and your glycogen is depleted low enough from a fasted state in the morning, then to comp for that energy needed, the body will catabolize muscle (especially if you're not in positive nitrogen balance) since it's easier for the liver to break down muscle for energy than fat. That's why I believe it's important not to go 65% over max heart rate. But the calorie burn for the duration at this intensity isn't really worth the time put in my opinion which is why I don't really have clients do it unless they really want to.
    And HIIT is kinda of like that but the intensity is usually much higher (unless running at 7.0 is really hard for you). I've had clients go up to 10.0 to 12.0 for 20 to 30 seconds on HIIT.

IDEA Fitness member

Are you quoting Km's or miles when you say 10 to 12?
    MPH.

IDEA Fitness member
  • billtonkin
    billtonkin Posts: 109
    Options
    Careful doing that on a treadmill, too. When I get up to 10mph, I feel like I'm going to fly off the thing. It's going to happen eventually I fear. When it does happen, I just hope someone's there to capture it on video and put it up on YouTube.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    It won't make a difference fasted or not.

2000 calories minus 500 calories for cardio is 1500.
    -500 calories doing cardio on empty stomch then eating 2000 is 1500.

Same sum, different way of getting to it.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i use it for maintenance; i do my first 20 minutes right before breakfast.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Careful doing that on a treadmill, too. When I get up to 10mph, I feel like I'm going to fly off the thing. It's going to happen eventually I fear. When it does happen, I just hope someone's there to capture it on video and put it up on YouTube.
    Yes. It's not something that you just "try". You have to work up to it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • suziecue66
    Options
    Yes. It's not something that you just "try". You have to work up to it.

IDEA Fitness member

That is FAST. I don't think I'd ever reach that level. Too scared to even try it.
    If you are shorter would you be running harder at that speed compared to someone taller with longer legs?
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I really just don't understand how people can function without eating first thing in the morning. I must eat before I do anything!
    Me & you both sister. I have to eat…, I need the fuel.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    That is FAST. I don't think I'd ever reach that level. Too scared to even try it.
    If you are shorter would you be running harder at that speed compared to someone taller with longer legs?
    Yes because the you'd have to move your feet at a faster pace to keep up.

IDEA Fitness member
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I've been having a protein shake in the mornings before gym and it's working pretty good.