Sorry GUYS....Breastfeeding Mommies and MFP

Options
Not sure if this is in the right thread.....but, I am getting ready to have a baby on Monday and I am wanting to continue with a healthy lifestyle, logging calories, and exercise. However, I am going to add a new component to the equation, breastfeeding. I am unsure what I should do. Should I log the calories as "exercise" because I want to be sure I am eating enough to produce milk and still lose. HELP!!!:noway:

Replies

• StarryEyed500
    StarryEyed500 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    There is a food 'breastfeeding' or you could manually add a 300-500 calorie exercise.
    Don't get too wrapped up with keeping on top of your eating in the first few weeks. Give yourself time to adjust to the new person who will be entirely dependant on you.

Hope all goes well next week :smile:
  • lvng_lf
    lvng_lf Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I agree. I always suggest giving yourself 6-8 weeks to get the milk supply established. then make sure your adding in those extra 300-500 calories in addition to what MFP gives you for weightloss. Many woman "couldn't" breastfeed in the past for lack of supply beause they didn't have this information. your body needs fuel to make the milk :)

good luck!! :D
  • bellefille
    bellefille Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I agree. I always suggest giving yourself 6-8 weeks to get the milk supply established. then make sure your adding in those extra 300-500 calories in addition to what MFP gives you for weightloss. Many woman "couldn't" breastfeed in the past for lack of supply beause they didn't have this information. your body needs fuel to make the milk :)

I agree with this advice. I think the first 6 - 8 weeks you should focus on listening to your body and ensuring you are able to get a regular supply of milk flowing. Do not worry too much about the calories, and focus instead on eating healthy and getting some exercise when you can.

With a new baby and all the changes that brings, and all the changes that will be going on with your body, allowing yourself time and flexibility to make adjustments are important.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Ooooh, congrats! The first 6-8 weeks are CRITICAL to developing your milk supply. Do not restrict your calories during this time frame, and any time your baby seems to want to nurse, nurse. Even if they just nursed an hour ago. Go for a walk, even just around the block, everyday. Definitely add the extra calories for breastfeeding into your food log, then eat them. If you cut too many calories out, you will affect your milk supply, and odds are, you will not lose weight.
  • mmckee10
    mmckee10 Posts: 405 Member
    Options

I agree with this advice. I think the first 6 - 8 weeks you should focus on listening to your body and ensuring you are able to get a regular supply of milk flowing. Do not worry too much about the calories, and focus instead on eating healthy and getting some exercise when you can.

With a new baby and all the changes that brings, and all the changes that will be going on with your body, allowing yourself time and flexibility to make adjustments are important.

i agree! don't worry about calories the first 6-8 weeks. your little one will thank you =] try drinking cranberry juice ( it helps your milk come in.. or it seemed to help mine). I've been exclusively breastfeeding my son for 10 months with no issues. good luck and congrats on the new little one! feel free to add me if you want. and if you have any questions let me know =]
  • ruthechesney
    ruthechesney Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies for the encouragement. I have high standards for myself. My philosophy is I am the only one who can change me. If I can run a half-marathon then I can breast feed. I know with WW they had you eat about 500 more calories a day. I think I am going to make my settings to lose 1 lb a week. If I feel like I am starving and not getting enough calories, then I will change it. With my first son, I lost all of my prego weight asap and I am a professional now, so I don't want to hold on to it. I want to look like I did before I was pregnant when I go back to work in 6 weeks. Obviously, my child is the most important part and I am looking forward to meeting him, but not forward to the transition:)