Running slowed down weight loss?

Options
Has anyone found that running has slowed down weightloss? I am going to push through it but I spoke to a young lady yesterday and she said she lost inches but not a lot of lbs? Help! I feel like giving up today to be honest. Really annoyed!

Thank you for your help!
Jasmin x

Replies

• kathyrpa
    kathyrpa Posts: 26
    Options
    same here.... I took up running and the scale doesnt move! lost inches which Im not complaining... lost 75 lbs all together , 5 more to go but the running is buring up tons of calories and I tried upping the calories.. I have a feeling stuck in starvation mode. let me know if youve tried anything to kick it back into gear.... im not going to stop running im now addicted to it
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I just started c25k program, so im hoping this will help me be able to run a 5k and loss some weight. I have 16more to loss.
    So im really hoping this dont slow it down.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    It hasnt slowed down weight loss.
    your body has replenished glycogen and water in your muscles so youll weigh more for a few days.
    If your legs feel tight, youll weigh more.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I spoke to a young lady yesterday and she said she lost inches but not a lot of lbs?
    And this is a problem because...?
  • PrincessNariko
    Options
    The only thing that makes you lose weight is if you eat less then you burn. Running helps the process, but if your diet is wrong exercise won't help you lose weight.

I run and I have very low body fat percentage. I eat very clean I've lost about 6-7 kg.

What do you eat?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Are you looking only to lose weight or are you looking to create a healthier, stronger you?

Even if you didn't lose an extra ounce due to exercise the other benefits a fitness program provides makes it entirely worthwhile. I can tell you from my own experience that running hasn't slowed down my weight loss (I'm confident that it has, along with a modest reduction in caloric intake, contributed to my weight loss - the bonus is my resting heart rate is lower, my aerobic capacity has increased exponentially, my blood pressure is down......it's all good!)
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I would MUCH rather lose a lot of inches than lose on the scale!!!!
  • kaelialyssa
    kaelialyssa Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've been running for years and I know exactly what you mean. Are you just running or doing other types of exercise as well? I make sure to weight train and cross train as well as run and it has helped me get through that slump. Don't give up, you're doing so well!
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Nope, starting the C25K kick started my weight loss. Now on B210K and still losing weight.
    I run mainly for health/fitness, weight loss is, what, 80-90% diet at the end of the day!
  • camilleesqueda
    Options
    I've been running for almost a month now and while my weight loss has slowed down, I still am dropping about a pound a week, maybe a little less. I could care less at this point though. I just like to run, and now it's not really about being skinny or losing weight. I feel healthy for the first time in a very long time and I am eating better and I'm happy. As long as I can break into the 140's (I'm 152 right now) I'll be a happy camper because I can run a mile in 8 minutes, curvy or skinny. :P
  • sammanchester
    sammanchester Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    your body has replenished glycogen and water in your muscles so youll weigh more for a few days.

I just heard about this yesterday, I was pretty relieved seems as I'd worked out hard and apparently gained 4lbs in return (in the space of a day!) :s
  • ramonasowner
    ramonasowner Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I gained during marathon training. I am still running but I don't do only running right now. And I am not doing distance. When I do distance training I maintain or gain. Fast running you should be okay
  • criscricket
    Options

I agree! Do not quit running! If you like it stick with it, you'll be stronger for it :)
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I noticed when I took up running the scale didn't move either. But that was OK because my jeans felt so much better. Inches are WAY more important than what that goofy scale says. Keep running. Don't give up on it. It will pay off :)

And I agree with an earlier comment: you're getting healthier every time you run. It isn't all about what the scale says, but the improvements you're making on a cellular level.

Julie :)
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that muscle weighs more than fat (and burns more calories than fat)...so as you gain muscle and lose fat your weight can go up. two people weigh 156 pounds...the one who runs wears a size 8, the one who doesn't wears a size 14.