Need Help w/ Kicking Sugar and Upping Protein

Options
Since I started tracking my calories, I started adding sugar back into my diet by treating myself at the end of the day when I had leftover calories. I even met with a dietician who said small desserts are fine and can even help stay on track because you don't feel deprived. The problem is that now I can't seem to stop eating it and craving it. My small dessert at night, has turned into a big one along with smaller ones throughout the night. So, I know cold turkey is probably the best way, but I'll take any suggestions because it is derailing my progress. Also, I'm a vegetarian and I'm having a hard time meeting my protein goal for the day of 94 grams. I'm getting about 20-23g at each main meal (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) and a handful more for snacks, but I'm still coming up short. Any suggestions to up that number without adding in a lot of calories? I'm thinking the extra protein will also be helpful in kicking the sugar habit. Thanks :smile:

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I eat Egg White omelets with veggies ( Spinach and Tomatoes, Salsa or Peppers and Onions). You can eat a ton without a lot of calories and it's all protein. Add a little cheese if you have extra calories. I put mine on Thomas's Sahara Mini Pita,

Cal, Carb, Fat, Protein, Sodium, Choles
    All Whites - 100% Liquid Egg Whites, 0.33 cup 44 0 0 9 132 0
    Aldi Happy Farms - Butter - Sweet Cream, Salted , 0.5 Tablespoon (14g) 50 0 6 0 45 15
    Homemade - Sauteed Onion & Sweet Pepper, 1/8 cup cooked 11 1 1 0 1 0
    Thomas' - Sahara Whole Wheat Mini Pita Pockets, 1 Loaf (28g) 70 14 1 3 160 0
  • fatzombiegirl
    Options
    Low-Fat Cottage Cheese - It has higher protein than yogurt and is great to add to tomato soup or tomato-based pasta sauce. I use zucchini instead of noodles to cut my carbs.

Greek yogurt has higher protein than regular yogurt. Watch the sugar content.

I have Jay Robb Whey Protein (vanilla) with skim milk, unsweetened cocoa powder, and flax meal for a tasty breakfast shake.

Not sure if you do dairy, but those things keep my protein high.

The problem with sugar is that it makes you crave more sugar. The less you have in your system, the better. I find that my best sweet treats are yogurts and nuts (protein again), low-sugar or unsweetened apple sauce, and my guilty pleasure, Fiber One Brownies. They are 90 calories and sweet enough to satisfy my terrible cravings for sugar.
  • FightGirl83
    Options
    As far as protein goes, make sure your snacks are a complex carb plus a protein. ie. a fruit. veggie, or whole grain plus a handful of nuts, a nut butter (peanut, almond), or dairy (cottage cheese, millk, cheese string, etc.). If you're really struggling with the protein maybe make one snack a protein shake.

I am also a sugar addict, and I found the same thing. If I had 4 Mike and Ikes it would undoubtedly turn in to 40 before the end of the night. I had to give up refined sugars, and when I eat them now I immediately feel unwell and crash really hard. Try satisfying your sweet tooth with natural sugars, fruit and berries, honey, real maple syrup. If you go overboard with a bowl of blueberries you probably won't feel too bad about it.
  • LittleElephant
    LittleElephant Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, you've made me think hard. My evening sweet treat is also getting bigger and bigger. Maybe I need to quit before it gets silly.

Bumping for protein ideas cos I'm always under too!
  • Caniacgirl59
    Options
    Thank you all for the really great ideas and for breaking down the omelet recipe! I will definitely be trying that :)
  • ark155
    ark155 Posts: 1
    Options
    I was going through pretty much the same thing with sugar, and I made myself give up candy/cookies/cake for Lent. It has been really hard since there are always treats in my office, but I honestly don't even miss the sugar anymore. Last week I walked past a bowl of min-Snickers and kept going :)

It'll be hard at first, but try to wean yourself off of sugar.....switch in all-natural (no sugar added!) applesauce, yogurt....I eat Craisins when I'm craving sugar, or SunSweet Ones (individually-wrapped prunes). Yes, I know....prunes. But they are sooooooo good. Good luck!