How til my butts not squishy?

Options
ojell
ojell Posts: 749 Member
I've been walking daily, doing 100 squats a day and lunges, and walking upstairs 2 at a time, riding my kids scooter (lol) and even riding bikes a little. I lost my booty muscle when I lost weight I think. So, how long will it take to build it back up? Will it build back up if I eat regular or will I only get it if I eat tons of protein? I want my butt back. I never had to work for it ever. I always had a butt even as a kid. I thought it was just something I would always have, then all the sudden it deflated on me. It's driving me nuts. :(

Oops...I meant how LONG til my butt's not squishy anymore...hehe

Replies

• amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I have never had a booty and always wanted one. I have been doing turbo fire and yesterday when I was taking my walk I noticed in my shadow I had a booty! I reached back and I could feel actual muscle there. Lol I think I even laughed out loud and as soon as I got home checked myself out in the mirror.

Don't worry it will come back just keep working at it.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    You need resistance to build bum muscles. Squat and lunge with heavy weights, do step-ups holding heavy dumbbells, cycle up steep hills, add high resistance on cardio machines. Even marathon training didn't tone up my bum until I started weight training!
  • kaydensmom12
    Options
    Mine has really started to come back since I have started heavy lifting. After pregnancy it was sagging and also looked generally deflated. I still have some work left on it but I am already seeing progress in the right direction.
  • kaydensmom12
    Options
    You need resistance to build bum muscles. Squat and lunge with heavy weights, do step-ups holding heavy dumbbells, cycle up steep hills, add high resistance on cardio machines. Even marathon training didn't tone up my bum until I started weight training!

Exactly
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing everything right. I agree with the lady who said riding a bike uphill. I live near a park where I ride frequently, and it is very hilly. I'm pretty partial to bike riding, but i do think it is probably the best for a tight bottom!
  • ojell
    Options
    Well, I was already planning to start riding my bike a lot this summer. I need to find a good cheap bike rack that won't tear up my car. Anyway, when you guys say "heavy" weights...how heavy?
  • Anelda
    Anelda Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Heavier than you think. To stimulate the muscle to grow, you need to progressively load up on the weights. For example, when I first started weight training, a 45 lb empty olympic barbell was heavy. Now, I regularly squat 180-190 lbs and that empty olympic barbell is a piece of cake.

To give you perspective, I'm 5'4" and 150 lbs and have lost weight since I've started heavy lifting.
  • ojell
    Options
    WOW! That's AMAZING!!
  • BerryH
    Options
    Well, I was already planning to start riding my bike a lot this summer. I need to find a good cheap bike rack that won't tear up my car. Anyway, when you guys say "heavy" weights...how heavy?
    Just what you find heavy for you, don't use someone else's settings. Something you can do 8 reps with but would struggle to do any more is about right. You'll find that weight you can lift goes up rapidly! Don't hurt yourself, and if in doubt go lighter and see if you can increase next time.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Heavy enough where you have trouble getting the last 1-2 reps of each set with good form with sets ranging of no more than 8-12 reps. If you can do 10-12 reps with good form, increase the weight.
  • ojell
    Options
    Ok. That sounds good. Now is there a certain type of squat I should be doing? I just do basic open legs, and basic closed legs. I can go all the way down. I feel like my legs are building muscles...what would really help me focus on my butt and build the actual butt bigger?
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • timbowatts79
    Options
    Lunging exercises in different directions will hit the glute muscles. There are multiple muscles in the butt that need hitting from different angles to stimulate muscle tone/growth. Think about how the hips can move - all different directions right? So then there must be a few muscles that extend, a few that flex and a few muscles that rotate the hip - so hit them all!

There are two things to bear in mind for muscle stimulation/growth:

1. The muscle group in question (ii the glutes) will need to be placed under stress for approximately 90 secs where a degree of soreness is experienced in the muscle group. This is known as hypertrophy training (otherwise know as body building).
    Choose a weight heavy enough to make 12 very slow (and I emphasise slow) repetions of a squat or lunge, feel difficult. Repeat 2-4 sets, with a maximum rest period of 90 secs in between each set.
    :smile:
    2. In order to maintain muscle tone, the nervous system needs jacking up. The nerve endings that go from the spinal chord to the ends of the muscles, need to be excited. To do this you would need to go much heavier (choose heavier weight) and do fewer (3-5 reps) with about 2-5 minutes rest in between.

I would combine some sprints on the bike, up a hill that last about 30 secs, with some lunges, and some heavy squats for all round butt kicking booty shaping goodness!

Don't do them all on the same day though - you could burn out! Just work them in to an existing exercise program.

Enjoy - and let me know how you get on

Tim:smile:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Ok. That sounds good. Now is there a certain type of squat I should be doing? I just do basic open legs, and basic closed legs. I can go all the way down. I feel like my legs are building muscles...what would really help me focus on my butt and build the actual butt bigger?

breaking parallel on squats with a shoulder width or slightly wide stance will put more focus on the glutes (butt) and hamstrings, vs the quads.
  • timbowatts79
    Options
    Also, having a strong set of glutes will help with improving posture, walking patterns, help clear up knee issues and more....

So, healthy bum, healthy body! :happy:
  • BerryH
    Options
    No need to go all the way down, stop when your thighs are parallel to the floor. I found concentrating on squeezing my bum muscles as I came up made me use them instead of my thigh muscles.

Oh, and also try two- and one-handed kettlebell swings, they are all kinds of awesome!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I don't do really heavy squats and lunges because my gym sucks, but I go heavy & deep on the leg press, and all the other leg, back and butt weight machines and it's made a big difference.

Edit: I had improvement in a few months, major improvement in about 6 months.
  • ojell
    Options
    hehe Thanks everyone. This is great info! :)
  • timbowatts79
    Options
    Do Good Morning Squats - this will take the emphasis off building the quads and will hit the hamstrings aswell as the glutes:

Here is a fairly good instructional video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=Z2chGiYPVIc
  • timbowatts79
    Options
    Yes ! Grab yourself a kettlebell and get swinging! Fantastic butt shaper and back strengthener.