Hungry before bed. What can I eat? Can I eat?

Options
iuali81
iuali81 Posts: 47 Member
So, I don't normally eat my exercise calories back. I know this is kind of a no-no, but I feel like I'm getting plenty to eat. If anything, I do tend to be hungry at night right before bed. I exercise at night, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. I generally tend to avoid eating anything right before bed. What are some things that it would be ok to eat before bed if I'm feeling hungry? Fruit?

Replies

• kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    If your feeling hungry before bed and after your workout maybe a banana or an apple?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You can eat anything, just make sure it fits your caloric intake and preferably your macros
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If you were getting plenty to eat without your exercise calories, you wouldn't be hungry at bedtime. :wink:

That said, I like a glass of chocolate milk before bed.
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Maybe a protein shake?
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    You can eat anything, just make sure it fits your caloric intake and preferably your macros

Yup.
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I used to have this problem. Now I exercise and then go straight to bed so I have no time to think about being peckish. I also find brushing my teeth directly after dinner helps. Or having a fat free yoghurt after dinner as dessert.
  • roshart
    roshart Posts: 18
    Options
    A small jacket potato but with no protein, so either a small blob of butter or mayo.. Not only does it stop the hunger but it stops sugar cravings too!
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you want as long as it fits within your calories and macros.
  • salxtai
    salxtai Posts: 341 Member
    Options

^^ This.

I personally go for protein drink + milk combo. Usually fills me up long enough to go to sleep.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    A small jacket potato but with no protein, so either a small blob of butter or mayo.. Not only does it stop the hunger but it stops sugar cravings too!

FYI: mayo has next to no protein and butter doesn't have any.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    a small snack 2 hours or so before bed is recommended by a lot of doctors, since it helps you no wake up STARVING.... some dr's have suggest like a yogurt, even a string cheese, or perhaps some celery and peanut butter, since celery has enzymes or something of that nature that help you sleep, and pb has lots of protein that will help you not feel hungry
  • Meatsies
    Meatsies Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of a spoonful of peanut butter (about a tbsp) and a sliced apple before bed. I read somewhere that eating before bed can actually give your metabolism a little boost to keep it burning a bit more throughout the night. Not sure how accurate that is, but it sounds good to me! :)
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry before bed, eat. Eat whatever fits with your macros and calories that you have left for the day. You are hungry because you need fuel for those workouts and to repair your muscles.
  • cilla1182
    cilla1182 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you can avoid food right before bedtime that's a plus. Try a protein drink. That's what I do. A scoop of Casein or whey protein with some water or almond milk. It's actually pretty filling.
    Here is some info on Casein...

How you should use Casein protein.

As previously mentioned, micellar casein is best used in conjunction with whey. Because casein is slow digesting, it’s not suitable for post workout. For post workout shakes, stick to whey. The best time to use casein protein is before bed and during the day. Casein is known as “night time” protein, as many strength athletes and bodybuilders use it before bed. Casein is also great for meal replacements, where it can be mixed with complex carbs and essential oils for a nutritious shake.

This is off this link...
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/supplements/ingredients/casein-protein.html
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I used to do chocolate protein shake - nothing added except ice to make it more like a smoothie. Only 110 calories and the water and protein help you after working out.
  • santent
    santent Posts: 7
    Options
    I eat about 1/4 a cup of fat free cottage cheese before i go to sleep every night. Keeps my metabolism up. I put the cottage cheese in my mouth, then some water, and swallow it all like a pill. Takes longer to digest :-D

*edit* Cottage cheese is almost entirely casein protein, thats why its advantageous to eat before you go to sleep!
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    if you're really hungry (and not just "wanna eat something") lots of weight lifters recommend lean protein like a shake or low-fat milk. the strategy is supposed to help prevent any attempt by your body to feed off your muscle mass while you are sleeping.

LorinaLynn has it right: if you're hungry, you're not eating enough
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    If you were getting plenty to eat without your exercise calories, you wouldn't be hungry at bedtime. :wink:

That said, I like a glass of chocolate milk before bed.
    Perfect point right here!
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    For me, eating before bed doesn't have as much to do with caloric intake (although it IS still a factor) as much as eating something that digests easily and doesn't sit like a rock in my stomach. I usually have a small serving of fruit, a glass of milk, a yogurt cup, some raw veggies, or one cup of plain popcorn (no salt or butter, I just like the crunchy texture :smile: ).
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    So, I don't normally eat my exercise calories back. I know this is kind of a no-no, but I feel like I'm getting plenty to eat. If anything, I do tend to be hungry at night right before bed. I exercise at night, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. I generally tend to avoid eating anything right before bed. What are some things that it would be ok to eat before bed if I'm feeling hungry? Fruit?

I eat all my exercise calories back. I have hot chocolate almost every night before I got to bed.