Healthy Lunch Ideas?

Options
So this week, I am trying to stay away from the frozen and canned foods. So far, so good. However, although I'm usually okay for breakfast and dinner (I usually have a salad or eggs for dinner), I'm usually out of ideas as to what to have for lunch. I need something I can bring to work with me. I've been having to go out and buy something and I'm trying to prevent that. Any ideas? Something quick, portable, and non processed. Thanks! Oh also, trying to stay away from carbs such as bread and pasta.

Replies

• Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Sandwiches
    Wraps

Just add any lean meats, some veggies and maybe a little bit of mayo so it doesn't feel like it's too dry.
  • Kedralea
    Kedralea Posts: 15
    Options
    I was going to suggest the same thing as Zichu... lean meats with a pita pocket or something is my fav... I usually will load it with veggies like spinach, peppers, and onions. a light mayo or even hummus is great to add in as well.
  • shalinimunjal
    shalinimunjal Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Wheat bread sandwich with hummus or avocados as the dressing, veggies, cheese slice. You can add meat if you like. I'm vegetarian so I don't but it's a pretty good sandwich.
  • monaghme
    monaghme Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    today I'm having bowtie pasta with a ton of roasted veggies (leftover from last nights dinner). I made a full pound of pasta and two big cookies sheets full of vggies so my daughter and I will probably each have 5 servings of this over the next few days. I posted the recipe but I don't think it worked....if you're interested you can find it at allrecipes.com as well. I just took it easy on the olive oil and altered the veggies to suit my tastes.
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Sandwiches
    Wraps

Just add any lean meats, some veggies and maybe a little bit of mayo so it doesn't feel like it's too dry.
    Oh I forgot to mention I'm also trying to stay away from carbs. I have completely cut bread and pasta out of my diet. That's probably why I'm feeling so restricted! :-/
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com....look for the low-carb options. Even if they are dinner meals you can pack up the rest for lunch
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Damn... Lol.

If you are able to warm food up you could bring in soup. Just make some the day before, put it in a plastic container and warm it up the next day.

Lettuce Roll Ups. Just use lettuce as your "wrap", use fillings that are soft and will easily stick. Tuna Mayo, Scrambled Egg, Chicken Salad, any other veggies you could add. Make sure the lettuce leaves are pretty big.

Meat roll ups. The same as lettuce, but use deli meats as your wraps. Put in cheese and veggies.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    So this week, I am trying to stay away from the frozen and canned foods. So far, so good. However, although I'm usually okay for breakfast and dinner (I usually have a salad or eggs for dinner), I'm usually out of ideas as to what to have for lunch. I need something I can bring to work with me. I've been having to go out and buy something and I'm trying to prevent that. Any ideas? Something quick, portable, and non processed. Thanks!

I have salmon and cucumber sandwiches or if I run out of salmon, I have tuna and cucumber sandwiches. I haven't run out of both yet, but if I did, I would have egg sandwiches and then if I had no eggs, I would have cheese but I would weigh everything.

I am rambling on and am going now......
  • smurvine
    smurvine Posts: 7
    Options
    I had never heard of skinytaste.com. Thanks for the info - it is a great resource. The food looks oh so good!!!! Good food doesn't have to taste awfut to be good for you!
  • phillieschic
    Options
    I LOVE tuna pouches and raw veggies with fat-free ranch dressing and ALWAYS a piece of fruit. I also usually have a container of Greek yogurt about an hour after I eat lunch.

Today, I'm going to go a little nuts and have a salad with grilled chicken. I'm a crazy one, eh? ;)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Qunioa salad with tomatoes, celery, onions, broccoli, carrots, black olives and a lemon vinegarette.
  • Shamrock_me
    Shamrock_me Posts: 161
    Options
    What about a Zucchini Lasagna? Thin Zuchinni slices instead of pasta might work to break out the monotony of daily lunch. My standard is a homemade grilled chicken breast, celery sticks, a green leafy salad and a sugarfree pudding cup, usually I add in an apple.
    Can't imagine no carbs though. I switched to brand called Healthy Life its 45 calories per slice which isn't too bad plus its a reserve for me to draw on for a little energy for after meal exercises.

Allrecipes.com has a few good recipes just switch out for the nonfat mozzarella and reduced fat parmesean, and of course 93% lean beef or better. Now I'm think I might try this one soon myself :oD
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Try making extra dinner servings and packing those for lunch the next day. It's worked great for me with Paleo where the lunch sandwich can be a pitfall. It's really no extra work to make extra and takes a huge stress offf wondering what to pack for lunch.
  • TS143
    TS143 Posts: 5
    Options
    Steamed salmon and veggies :)
  • jutymo
    jutymo Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    My lunches this week:
    Tomato Seafood Chowder (Amy's Tomato Bisque + shrimp + baby clams) + Cheese sandwich (sandwich thin + center cut bacon + FF american cheese slice)
    Angel hair pasta with red clam sauce and garlic toast
    Baked potato soup + Boca Chicken patty with swiss cheese sandwich on sandwich thin
    Leftover Chicken and Broccoli Parmesan pasta + veggie
    Shrimp wonton soup with noodles + brussels sprouts

I pack my lunch the night before and have it ready to go when I get up in the morning. I get sick of frozen lunches and sandwiches so I try to have leftovers in the freezer too. I get lots of positive comments on my lunches most of the time. People think they look so good compared to what most people bring in to eat.
  • candctaber
    candctaber Posts: 274
    Options
    I am tired of the same stuff too. I done the lettuce/meat wraps, fruit & veggies, yogert, ect... I also like Progresso Light Chicken Vegetable Rotini soup- 70 cal 10 carb. Good luck!
  • AprilShore
    AprilShore Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I make a crock pot of soup (usually veggie) and portion it out into individual containers then freeze it. I just grab one before I head out the door and defrost it for lunch. It is very tasty and filling. My vegetable beef comes in at 261 calories. I also bring fruit and yogurt for a snack. For breakfast, I make homemade apple banana pancakes ahead and freeze them. They reheat very well in a toaster! Good luck!
  • natachan
    natachan Posts: 149
    Options
    Fruit. Lots and lots of fruit. I've been keeping a bag of it in my car, and it seems to work well for me. Plenty of fiber, and quick carbs.
  • CuteMonkeyGal
    CuteMonkeyGal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I usually make a big salad with lean turkey, and tons of veggies. I add some fruit and a light Laughing Cow to the side. Good stuff. :)
  • Flyer615
    Flyer615 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I LOVE tuna pouches and raw veggies with fat-free ranch dressing and ALWAYS a piece of fruit. I also usually have a container of Greek yogurt about an hour after I eat lunch.

Today, I'm going to go a little nuts and have a salad with grilled chicken. I'm a crazy one, eh? ;)

Yep, you're livin' on the edge, philliesgirl. :tongue: