HRM Vs. Treadmill?

Options
This may be a silly question. I have been doing the Insanity workouts and I just recently bought a heart rate monitor. According to it, I was burning A LOT of calories. I wanted to see how accurate it was so I decided to test it tonight. I wore it while on my treadmill and the calories burnt according to my treadmill were WAY lower than what my hrm was reading. But this is where I'm confused. The hrm I was wearing and the treadmill were both reading the exact same heart rate. SO WHICH ONE IS RIGHT??!! I'd like to think it's the one with the highest calories burnt, but that might be too good to be true haha. Any advice for a newbie? I'd appreciate it.
[=

Replies

• cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    hmm weird. Usually my HRM is lower than what the gym equipment says. But I would go with what YOUR hrm say because you entered all your data in in ex: your birthday, weight, height, gender... and on the gym equipment you just enter weight and age. Just double check the user settings on your HRM to make sure you entered it in right :))
  • akester
    akester Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ok I'll reset my HRM. Thanks for he advice! :smile:
  • irishrose22
    irishrose22 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    HRM all the way! Every person is different, and calorie burn should be as well. just make sure you record the ups in heartrate and the lows for accuracy.
  • BrenB150
    BrenB150 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I agree.. But my heart rate monitor cals are lower than what the treadmill says, but the heart rate is always the me when I look at it.. Glad you got a heart rate monitor.. I always go off my HRM.. Great job
  • akester
    akester Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I reset my HRM today and got the same results. I guess it's right. Thanks guys! :heart: :smile:
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    That's odd. If you have a good quality HRM I would trust it.

But make sure it has your correct weight. If you have lost alot since you set it the first time you may be confusing it. Good luck!
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Many (if not most, but not all) pieces of exercise equipment will read your heart rate from the HRM, so it's no surprise the heart rates are the same. The calories will be calculated independently, and the HRM is most likely going to be more correct. The treadmill probably also does not take into account weight, which has a big impact on calorie consumption.
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    The machines never estimate your calorie burn accurately. Go with the HRM. The HRM has a chest strap and your personal info like height weight age etc entered so it will give you a more accurate number.