Benihanas

Options
I'm going out to Benihanas tonight with my best friend because they sent me a $30 gift certificate for my birthday. I'm as frugal as they come, so I absolutely cannot let the certificate go unused.

So, for those of you familiar with the restaurant, what would you order that's both delicious and won't kill you calorie-wise?

Replies

• kdrew1
    kdrew1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    bump- I love this restaurant and am curious to know the answers!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    fish and beef? I've never been as I don't eat Sushi and am such a picky eater, but either choice is good for the protein aspect of it, I would also say since I don't see a nutrition list on their website to find similar matches in the database, but make sure whatever you get is yummy :) enjoy it, and have a happy birthday

oh and on battered items, ask for light batter
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I would think that you could really have anything, its pretty healthy stuff. Watch rice and keep the serving small. But they have pretty reasonable serving sizes if I remember correctly. I went to the web site and there was no calorie information. Sorry I could be more help.
  • nesman89
    nesman89 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    New York City required Benihana's to put the Calorie count on the menu. Here is the link. scroll to the bottom and all the menu's are on the left it takes you to a PDF and has the calories listed under each item.

http://www.benihana.com/locations/newyorkwest-ny-we

I used this menu the last time I went. Hope this helps.
  • nesman89
    nesman89 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Shrimp, chicken &/or scallops. You can tell them to not bring you any rice. Reasonable this way. I love it and do eat there. Plus you can bring some home for a second meal. Enjoy!
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I personally like the chicken and/or beef but ask them to make it "dry" and then just add the sauce yourself. That stuff really adds up and is LOADED with sodium. Most of the stuff there is actually decent for you (barring dessert and drinks, of course)

**EDIT - I've seen a couple people mention rice. Ask for brown rice (some have it, some don't) - if not, just be smart in your portion size (carbs are not the enemy!)... remember you could always bring half (of rice and protein) home, so that $30 got you TWO meals :smile:
  • TopazCarey
    TopazCarey Posts: 263
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! You all listed some good ideas. And a special thanks to the poster that listed the link with all the calorie info! That's exactly what I was looking for.