Going out to eat and figuring out calories

Options
2»

Replies

• dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    The hardest part is sticking to the plan when I get there and everyone else starts ordering yummy stuff. ;)
    Maybe you should try ordering something yummy? What's the point of going out if you're going to get crap you don't like?

Im sure what shes eating is yummy. She probably ment while others are ordering fried calamari we are ordering steamed shrimp.
  • sparklefly74
    sparklefly74 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Do you know what a serving size looks like? That's probably a biggie, since you won't have anything to measure with even if you do order healthy.
    Here's a site with serving sizes compared to real life items (there are tons of sites like this, I just googled it and picked one):
    http://www.fitsugar.com/What-Serving-Sizes-Look-Like-762806

I also have this same problem. A couple weeks ago I went to an Italian restaurant and ordered fish, but all of the sides were carb heavy. Even the veggie option was corn! The girl was totally flabbergasted when I told her that I didn't want a side other than my salad (in the end I asked for a "double" order of the salad instead).
  • FunandFitMom
    FunandFitMom Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    If you know where you're going, there's a website (www.dwlz.com) that's helpful. She's a lifetime Weight Watchers member, so the info is WW points based, but can put a lot of restaurant choices in context for you.
  • Zabbie13
    Zabbie13 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Here's my trick for managing pleasure days (restaurant outings, family gatherings centered around food, etc): I eat what I want at the event (without going overboard ;) ) and for the following three days I eat a maximum of 50g of carbohydrates per day (this means no grains, no processed foods, no legumes, no sugar, no fruit, no milk, no nuts, no seeds... basically just animal products and low carb veggies). By doing this, my insulin (the fat hormone) level is very low for the three days after. This provides my pancreas with a much needed rest following the pleasure day and my body will begin to use up stored fat again. Don't exercise too much during your low carb days (you need glycogen energy for exercise which you won't have if you are not eating carbs). If you are like me, you will find that despite your pleasure day, you have lost a pound by the end of the three days. Once you reach your weight goal you should be able to have one pleasure day a week (followed by three low carb days) and maintain your weight. So, enjoy the full menu!