Struggling with afternoon pangs! :(

Options
Hi All

I have been on here for just over a week now and Im getting on ok except for afternoons at work in the week. (I have a desk job)
I have breakfast at 9am, then lunch at 1.30. But from 2.30 to 5.30 Im starving! :( but I dare not eat anything else I will over eat.
I crave crisps and chocolate from the vending machine, but I have been resisting... normally I would easily buy crisps and chocolate in the afternoon the relieve my cravings.
Today after my lunch I have only 739 calories left for the rest of the day but I do plan to do some exercise tonight.
Any tips?!?

Replies

• abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I just started eating almonds. They really seem to fill me up. I also have a desk job.
  • Jessiciaf
    Options
    I do the same thing I am starving after I get home from work at 3pm and my will power is wittled down from the day. So I TRY to eat an apple or something decent. Then I go and find something contructive to do for a bit so I stop thinking about it. Go for a walk, take my son to the park, etc. Whatever keeps me away from the pantry for the next hour till I can start making dinner.
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I structure my day around 3 meals and 3 snacks. I eat breakfast around 7:30, morning snack at 10, lunch at 12:30, afternoon snack at 3, dinner around 5:30-6, then nighttime snack around 8:30 or right after I workout. Snacks with protein really fill me up - peanut butter with crackers, nuts, Greek yogurt, etc.
  • TwinMumCork
    TwinMumCork Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Have something like a laughing cow triangle only 25 cals and will keep you full or a fat free yogurt the danone vitalinea are only 48 cals.

I have afternoon pangs too and today there were cakes in the canteen left over from a meeting took all my strength to resist. by the time I gave in only the bad ones were left so a lot easier to resist.
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Why will you over eat? If you have almost 800 calories left for the day that is more than enough for a healthy dinner and a snack. Plus if you exercise you will have even more calories to work with. If you get hungry it is important that you eat. Otherwise you will probable over eat at dinner!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you need a snack. Bring something healthy, like vegetables, almonds, cheese, air popped popcorn (microwave popcorn contains chemicals that can affect your endocrine system), fruit, crackers, etc.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Try opening your diary so we can see what you're eating and whats causing it. Within one hour of lunch you shouldnt be hungry unless you're not taking in enough calories
  • marywanoKC
    marywanoKC Posts: 176
    Options
    There are many things you can keep in your desk drawer: an already sliced apple or some grapes, almonds, protein bars, 100 Cal snack packs, carrots and celery (did you know that you can make your own low cal ranch dip from the Hidden Valley Ranch dry packet and low fat sour cream??), keep yogurt in your office fridge...

Your work schedule and mine are nearly identical, but I have breakfast in the morning (always microwavable oatmeal), a mid morning snack (usually plain yogurt with a bit of crunchy dry cereal mixed in for flavor and texture), or a handful of almonds. Also, be sure to keep water with you!!! I go through at least 34 oz of water in a work day - sometimes water is enough to take away hunger pangs for a little while, too.
  • StephC74
    StephC74 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    plan for a snack, preferably something high in protein. Weigh or measure it out and bring it with you so you know exactly how many calories you are consuming and then eat it. You may have to cut back a little on dinner to stay within your calories goals but if you are hungry in the afternoons all the time then you will find it hard to stick with your new diet. Check and make sure you have enough protein in your lunch too, that should help you feel more full.
  • amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    carry a protien bar for that time of the day.
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    Sometimes its boring, but I eat an apple and drink some water. After I feel ten times better and once I start eating the apple rather than something unhealthy, I remember how tasty they really are!!
  • Jostring73
    Jostring73 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I have opened my diary (didnt realise it wasnt public) Im not the best eater by the way!
    I do drink as much water at work as possible as its free (weekends I dont! bad of me!)
    We dont have a work fridge as we have a coffee shop, so bringing in chilled things is difficult.
    I think I need to find some good snacking food.
    Thannks for your advice! :happy:
  • Samer1Q
    Samer1Q Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when I just started out! I went by the rule that most of the time your body says your hungry, you're actually thirsty. So, I would drink two glasses of water and see if I was still hungry afterward. Most of the time, I wasn't! If I was I would munch on some cashews (almonds are better but I don't like the taste) or a 100 calorie pack snack. I agree with the comments above that 700 calories is more than enough for a snack AND dinner! Most of my home-cooked dinners are around 500-600 calories (and that's not skimping on food, that's like 2-3 slices of homemade pizza!) - you just have to get creative and do your research for a good recipe :-) Good luck! I'm pulling for you! We're all in this together!
  • Jostring73
    Jostring73 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Ive just eaten some raisens (approx 45 cals) and 6 marshmallows (84cals) which are in the office! LOL
    I only have half an hour to go until hometime!
    :wink: