Runny shoes

Options
I'm looking for some suggestions on some good and inexpensive running shoes.

I'm briskly walking about 4 miles right now but I'd like to add some running/jogging into that mix in the future and I've been having a lot of issues with my feet lately. Lots of heel pain in the morning and after sitting. It's probably more to do with the fact that I walk around barefoot on my hardwood floored apartment as opposed to the actual exercise I've been getting in but I know that some shoes with good cushion and support will help this issue.

So any suggestions?

Replies

• algiampolo
    Options
    I love my Asics
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    You defiantly need to go to a running store. They watch you run or walk whichever you will be doing and fit with with a good shoe. If you have a fleetfeet around you I would suggest that but most running stores hire experts so that they can help you find the right shoe. I run in brooks and I love them, also sacrony and new balance are good. Good luck! :happy: :happy:

~Leash :heart:
  • mniana
    mniana Posts: 2
    Options
    I love my Asics
    Me Too! Asics Rock!
  • cboehm
    cboehm Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I love my new balance runners they keep my feet cool and give me just the right support. By far my favorite running shoes.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

I'm briskly walking about 4 miles right now but I'd like to add some running/jogging into that mix in the future and I've been having a lot of issues with my feet lately. Lots of heel pain in the morning and after sitting. It's probably more to do with the fact that I walk around barefoot on my hardwood floored apartment as opposed to the actual exercise I've been getting in but I know that some shoes with good cushion and support will help this issue.

So any suggestions?

If you are already having feet/heel issues and you are only walking, I would resolve them before I worried about running. What shoes are you now using to walk in? It is unlikely that walking on a hardwood floor barefoot is going to give you heel pain, but walking 4 miles on cement or asphalt in the wrong shoe can cause you all kinds of grief.:grumble:

I am a walker and have had good luck with Adidas, and Rebok shoes. Depending upon what is the best deal at the time, I sometimes get a shoe intended for running. I know there are "shoe snobs" out there who insist you "can't walk" in a running shoe, and vice versa, but both provide good support for your foot. Since I am not in training to be an Olympian, I don't stress over it. The last pair of shoes I purchased was for $25 at Sears on clearance. They are a women's Reebok running shoe and I have walked up to 7 miles at a time in them and could have gone further, but for time constraints.

If you are already walking in appropriate footwear, take a look at what else you are wearing. If, for example, you are spending the rest of your time in flip flops or something else w/no support, or heaven forbid, heels, (I am assuming you are female:smile: ) take a look at some Birkenstocks. They are not cheap, but if you care for them properly, they will will last you a LONG time. Right now I am wearing the first pair I ever bought. They are 15 years old this summer and on their 3rd resole, but the upper and footbed are going strong.

I use to work in my friend Birk store, so I admit to having a closet full of them. I no longer wear them exclusively, but if my feet begin to tell me they are not happy, a few days of constantly wearing them and all is well.

One other thing I thought of as far as heels, assuming the pain in your heel persists, consider the possibility that you have a "heel spur" which is a calcification that can form on the heel bone and cause all kinds of misery. Only a doctor could determine if that is the problem.
    Good luck with your running and your fitness program :flowerforyou:
  • kasch
    kasch Posts: 35
    Options
    everyone has a different foot and what works for one may not work for another. go to the running store and have them help you. also........i have found that most supportive running shoes are an investment. they are usually good for around 400 miles so they're worth it...................so are your joints!
    good luck.

also remember as you start running not to try to increase your weekly mileage by more than 10% per week to stave off injuries!!

enjoy!
  • jesp1216
    jesp1216 Posts: 100
    Options
    i definatly love my asics hahaha :D and i usualy run in them, sometimes i walk but i usualy run walkingg is too slow for me :laugh:
  • ldbenincasa
    Options
    I am flat-footed and over-pronate (roll my feet inward) and I love my Brooks shoes. I would absolutely agree that you need to go to a running store to be fitted. My shoes cost about $100, but they are worth every penny!! If you think about running, shoes are really the only "expensive" piece of equipment you need, so it's a pretty cheap sport. You can go 300-500 miles before replacing your shoes.
  • Lindsey83
    Options

So any suggestions?

If you are already having feet/heel issues and you are only walking, I would resolve them before I worried about running. What shoes are you now using to walk in? It is unlikely that walking on a hardwood floor barefoot is going to give you heel pain, but walking 4 miles on cement or asphalt in the wrong shoe can cause you all kinds of grief.:grumble:

I am a walker and have had good luck with Adidas, and Rebok shoes. Depending upon what is the best deal at the time, I sometimes get a shoe intended for running. I know there are "shoe snobs" out there who insist you "can't walk" in a running shoe, and vice versa, but both provide good support for your foot. Since I am not in training to be an Olympian, I don't stress over it. The last pair of shoes I purchased was for $25 at Sears on clearance. They are a women's Reebok running shoe and I have walked up to 7 miles at a time in them and could have gone further, but for time constraints.

If you are already walking in appropriate footwear, take a look at what else you are wearing. If, for example, you are spending the rest of your time in flip flops or something else w/no support, or heaven forbid, heels, (I am assuming you are female:smile: ) take a look at some Birkenstocks. They are not cheap, but if you care for them properly, they will will last you a LONG time. Right now I am wearing the first pair I ever bought. They are 15 years old this summer and on their 3rd resole, but the upper and footbed are going strong.

I use to work in my friend Birk store, so I admit to having a closet full of them. I no longer wear them exclusively, but if my feet begin to tell me they are not happy, a few days of constantly wearing them and all is well.

One other thing I thought of as far as heels, assuming the pain in your heel persists, consider the possibility that you have a "heel spur" which is a calcification that can form on the heel bone and cause all kinds of misery. Only a doctor could determine if that is the problem.
    Good luck with your running and your fitness program :flowerforyou:

I'm a sahm, and since I usually don't clean my house, feed the kids, etc with heels on, that's not my problem:happy: . I am barefoot nearly all day and that really does kill my feet. (I really hate shoes) I also wear $5 flip flops from Old Navy and I'm sure your right, that doesn't help. My foot problems started before I even started walking, now its just a tad bit worse than it was before.

I don't own any real sports sneakers. I have an old pair of saucony's that I usually wear but they aren't running/walking sneakers. When I have shoes on my feet are fine, when I'm barefoot that's when I'm limping around. The saucony's are find for now for walking but I know when I'm ready to step it up with joggin/running that I'm going to need a more appropriate shoe.

Thank you all for all the suggestions!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    First off, quit walking around barefoot. With heel pain already that is a signal to start protecting and healing that area. Plantar fasciatis is usually the cause of heel pain and if you don't start taking care of it NOW you may end up not even being able to walk, yet alone run.

Second, each persons foot is different. I thought I had one type of foot until I went to the foot doctor for my plantar fasciatis and found out that I have a normal arch and I overpronate. Armed with this information I was able to go to several shoe websites and hunt out each brands shoes that might work best for my foot. I made a little chart (yes geeky, but it worked) and took my inexpensive orthotic I purchased from the foot doc and went and tried on about 25 or 30 pairs of shoes.

I personally Love my asics but I have had great brooks as well. I don't like nike, I think they run small and narrow and high on the ankle and I suffered through many ankle back of the foot blisters thanks to those darn things.

Side note, if your heels hurt upon waking and striking the floor you most likely have PF. You need to ice, stretch and protect your feet with supportive shoes that keep your arch in position (no flip flops or house slippers or other dumb girl shoes) My foot doc encouraged me to continue walking and running along with a strict ice, aleve, and stretching routine. Inactivity can be just as bad for PF as not wearing the proper shoes.

Good luck in your shoe search! :flowerforyou: