Information Overload...a bit overwhelming.

Options
The more I read on here the more complicated and difficult it seems to get in touch with how my body works and what it needs in order for me to reach my goal.

I see people responding to questions saying: "according to your BMR you need to eat this number, if you go over you're screwed, if you go under you're screwed. You need this percentage of protein, you need this percentage of carbs, etc., etc. Careful or you're end up skinny-fat" What the heck does that mean????

I'm eating very healthy and off to a good start. I'm not eating anything processed, no junk food and no sugar. I'm feeling great and I've dropped 4 pounds in 11 days.
But then I need to start assigning numbers to what I eat. I get to the end of the day and the food diary pretty much tells me I did it all wrong that day. Seriously? Sigh.

Anyone else feeling overwhelmed?

Replies

• Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Everything you ever need to know, simplified and laid out in a single page right here:
    http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/

It takes about an hour to read but pour yourself a coffee and settle down with it and you won't regret it. I wish I'd found this page DECADES ago.
  • Jamiewoodle
    Jamiewoodle Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    It took me awhile to find a good groove as well! As long as you're eating healthy and including a variety of foods, I wouldn't necessarily focus on the percentage of carbs, protein, etc at first. I'd just continue to eat health, watch portion sizes and eat your BMR plus exercise. After a few weeks I would re evaluate and do "tweeking" as needed. I personally have found that higher protein meals really help me feel satisfied and keep me fuller longer.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    The more I read on here the more complicated and difficult it seems to get in touch with how my body works and what it needs in order for me to reach my goal.

I see people responding to questions saying: "according to your BMR you need to eat this number, if you go over you're screwed, if you go under you're screwed. You need this percentage of protein, you need this percentage of carbs, etc., etc. Careful or you're end up skinny-fat" What the heck does that mean????

I'm eating very healthy and off to a good start. I'm not eating anything processed, no junk food and no sugar. I'm feeling great and I've dropped 4 pounds in 11 days.
    But then I need to start assigning numbers to what I eat. I get to the end of the day and the food diary pretty much tells me I did it all wrong that day. Seriously? Sigh.

You've lost 4lbs, you're doing great.

There is a TON of information out there, a lot of it bad. Knowing the difference isn't always easy.

Here's what you need to do. Eat right. Move more. That's all. Keeping it simple is a wonderful thing.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I actually also find it overwhelming... but the more you hang around, the more you can decipher the good from the bad, and what fits your lifestyle. Be patient :) I'm trying too... We'll all get there eventually.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    You know what? Here's an easy one. Eat if you're hungry. That's it. Every time you feel hungry, stop and ask yourself why. If it is because you haven't eaten in a while and your body is craving fuel, eat! If it comes back as an emotion or thirsty, drink some water. How about that? It's going to take a lot of practice, but you can learn to fuel your body properly this way! Just log it so you know what you've had and can get more protein/carbs/fat if you're too low in that area.
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Eat right. Move more. That's all. Keeping it simple is a wonderful thing.

^^ This. No need to rush to learn everything.

Congrats on your weight loss so far. :flowerforyou:
  • awolf2011
    awolf2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    When I first started using MFP, I kept looking at all of the numbers and driving myself crazy. It took me forever to just decide on a meal or snack to have. I am on my 60th day and it got a lot easier the more I relaxed and learned what is good for my body and what isn't. It will take time, but you will finally get to the point where you will log in your foods and watch your calories and you will find that you will just know what foods you should eat and those you should stay away from. It can be very overwhelming, but well worth it!!
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    Here's what you need to do. Eat right. Move more. That's all. Keeping it simple is a wonderful thing.

perfect advice. how you eat less and how you move more are up to you. everyone has things that work for them, find what works for you.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Information overload? Okay! Let's give you more information!

No. Seriously. LISTEN to your body. If you feel good doing what you're doing then keep doing it!!!! Don't worry about getting the 'perfect' numbers, just focus on learning to monitor your calories in and calories out for now...

Maybe later when you've settled down you can gradually start changing this or that (say, upping your protein, downing your carb, whatever you decide) but don't worry about what you SHOULD be doing. Worry about how you FEEL and if this is making you feel good then stick with it!
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    PS: To the people saying: eat right. Move more.

That's the PROBLEM. What is EATING right? That's where the confusion lies. With all the information out there it seems there are a million ways claiming to be the RIGHT way to eat so how does one decide what is the REAL right way?
  • kenny_johnson
    kenny_johnson Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I think it's actually incredibly simple, but people like to complicate things. You want to eat enough that your providing proper nutrition to your body. But outside that, I think it's as simple as calories in/calories out. Burn more calories than you consume and you will lose weight. Cardio will help you burn more calories and strength training will help to build muscle while you lose fat (which can also help with your metabolism).

While I've only lost 14 pounds (in 3 weeks) since joining MFP, I've kept it simple. I use MFP's calorie goals as a guidelines, not gospel. In fact, I tend to try to hit 2000 calories a day, no matter how much exercise I do. But I also try to eat (snack) when I'm hungry -- usually cuties or nuts or something.

So what do I do? I try to consume less calories than I burn, but try not starve myself or let myself get too hungry. I try to make better choices in what I eat, but I don't necessarily avoid any foods. Since starting, I've had things like soda, juice, carrot cake, pizza, etc. But I try to make it rare and small.

I do 3 days of cardio for ~30 mins and 3 days of strength/resistance training for 3 days with 1 day off. But I also try to walk more, climb more stairs, etc. My goal is to average about 2 lbs a week weight loss, which I think it both doable and healthy at my current weight.

So far it's been working... when it stops working, I'll adjust.
  • wwww1199
    wwww1199 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    You know what? Here's an easy one. Eat if you're hungry. That's it. Every time you feel hungry, stop and ask yourself why. If it is because you haven't eaten in a while and your body is craving fuel, eat! If it comes back as an emotion or thirsty, drink some water. How about that? It's going to take a lot of practice, but you can learn to fuel your body properly this way! Just log it so you know what you've had and can get more protein/carbs/fat if you're too low in that area.

This is exactly what I do.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    PS: To the people saying: eat right. Move more.

That's the PROBLEM. What is EATING right? That's where the confusion lies. With all the information out there it seems there are a million ways claiming to be the RIGHT way to eat so how does one decide what is the REAL right way?

Well I would suggest to a person wondering what they should be eating that they should be counting their calories and keeping a food journal. Since we're on a site that does that I figured it was pretty much covered.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Bump....

16043484.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • PeeTeePee
    PeeTeePee Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    1. Let MFP work out your calorie allowance for the day.
    2. Let MFP work out your exercise allowance for the day.
    3. Add 1 and 2 together to give you total calories you can eat for the day.
    4. Eat the total in 3.

Simples
  • Slice1
    Slice1 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    You people rock. Thank you so much. This is why I'm here. I need to be kept grounded sometimes.

I guess just starting out, it needs to be simple.

I used to live like this:
    Pepsi all day every day, from the time I woke up until the time I went to bed.
    Take out every day, burgers, fries, gravy, etc.
    Chips and Pepsi every night while I sat on the couch watching t.v.
    Eat until I was beyond full.

Now, I do not go anywhere near Pepsi or take out.
    I make my own meals and pack my lunches. I eat clean. Nothing processed.
    And I'm loving it.
    I walk every day on my lunch break.
    And my son and I walk our dogs when I get home from work.

I feel good. I feel energetic.
    I just worry that I'm doing it wrong.
    Knowledge is power. Thanks everyone.
  • LaylaSparkles
    Options

I totally feel this way as well.

Good Carbs vs. bad Carbs
    Good Fats vs. Bad Fats.
    What exercises to do, what to eat, how to eat, when to eat. How much cardio vs. strength training....it is starting to make my head spin.

My friend looked at me today and told me I am becoming obsessed trying to figure out the perfect formula to get this weight off. I am going to give myself an ulcer....lol

I realized all i have been doing for the past 15 days since I started my journey was researching non stop day and night. I am even dreaming about diet and nutrition.

I think this site is so helpful but so overwhelming sometimes. I know I will figure it out eventually but I think I have to read whats here and then not obsess over it and do what feels right for my body.

Also, my food diary keeps telling me I am not eating enough calories each day but i am stuffed to the fullest almost every day...dont know what i am supposed to do about that.

So obviously you are not alone with all the confusing and overwhelming but well meaning info on here!!
  • dawnagetsfit
    Options
    You people rock. Thank you so much. This is why I'm here. I need to be kept grounded sometimes.

I guess just starting out, it needs to be simple.

I used to live like this:
    Pepsi all day every day, from the time I woke up until the time I went to bed.
    Take out every day, burgers, fries, gravy, etc.
    Chips and Pepsi every night while I sat on the couch watching t.v.
    Eat until I was beyond full.

Now, I do not go anywhere near Pepsi or take out.
    I make my own meals and pack my lunches. I eat clean. Nothing processed.
    And I'm loving it.
    I walk every day on my lunch break.
    And my son and I walk our dogs when I get home from work.

I feel good. I feel energetic.
    I just worry that I'm doing it wrong.
    Knowledge is power. Thanks everyone.

That's perfect, keep it up!
  • Slice1
    Slice1 Posts: 193 Member
    Options

I totally feel this way as well.

Good Carbs vs. bad Carbs
    Good Fats vs. Bad Fats.
    What exercises to do, what to eat, how to eat, when to eat. How much cardio vs. strength training....it is starting to make my head spin.

My friend looked at me today and told me I am becoming obsessed trying to figure out the perfect formula to get this weight off. I am going to give myself an ulcer....lol

I realized all i have been doing for the past 15 days since I started my journey was researching non stop day and night. I am even dreaming about diet and nutrition.

I think this site is so helpful but so overwhelming sometimes. I know I will figure it out eventually but I think I have to read whats here and then not obsess over it and do what feels right for my body.

Also, my food diary keeps telling me I am not eating enough calories each day but i am stuffed to the fullest almost every day...dont know what i am supposed to do about that.

So obviously you are not alone with all the confusing and overwhelming but well meaning info on here!!

I hear ya! I'm doing the same thing with the research, etc. But the good news is that it's keeping me so busy, that I'm succeeding with quitting smoking (I quit 3 weeks ago today!)

We'll get there, and I think MFP is a good place to start. Lots of knowledgeable and successful people here.