"Barefoot" running

Options
2»

Replies

• SamiRose
    SamiRose Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    What's the benefit to running barefoot or with minimalist shoes? On a run last week, I saw a girl running barefoot on a paved path and thought it looked painful. I don't think I'll ever transition, but I'm curious to know what you think.

I was in a biomechanics course last year and saw a research presentation on this subject.

The simplest reason I took away was that with shoes you will land harder on your heal because of the padding.

This sends alot of force up your leg and joints. By going barefoot/ less padding you change how your run to reduce painful heel strikes. And Therefore less overall forces which results in a healthier long term running strategy.

Well defined, simplest and very accurate explanation.
  • strunkm4
    strunkm4 Posts: 266
    Options
    I run in Vibrams. I bought my first pair at the end of Novemeber, and I can 100% say I am STILL getting used to running barefoot. Don't get me wrong I absolutely LOVE IT, and I know it's doing a remarkable job in strengtheing up everything down there and improving the way I run. When I bought them, they told me it would probably take a good 6 months to get transitioned. I started the first 2 weeks and did feet exercises and everything!
  • ljohnson1112
    ljohnson1112 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of Merrell Vibram's and I LOVE THEM! I must admit it took some time for the transition for me, and my calves KILLED!! Also had some nasty shin splints for awhile, however about three months in now and I LOVE THEM and will never go back. All I can say is it does take some time and remember to work into it, but as far as I'm concerned its worth it ;) Good luck to you!
  • rebeccask
    rebeccask Posts: 170
    Options
    What's the benefit to running barefoot or with minimalist shoes? On a run last week, I saw a girl running barefoot on a paved path and thought it looked painful. I don't think I'll ever transition, but I'm curious to know what you think.

I was in a biomechanics course last year and saw a research presentation on this subject.

The simplest reason I took away was that with shoes you will land harder on your heal because of the padding.

This sends alot of force up your leg and joints. By going barefoot/ less padding you change how your run to reduce painful heel strikes. And Therefore less overall forces which results in a healthier long term running strategy.

This is what I was looking for. Thank you!
  • cyndist
    cyndist Posts: 43
    Options
    I don't run but I did buy a pair of VFF KSO and all I can say is after 3 days of working out in them my feet do not hurt. Typically when I wear shoes (fitness tennis shoes) and do any type of workout like Kickboxing or any thing that requires a lot of movement my feet would be killing me within 5 mins of the workout and I would have to lower my intensity or stop the workout. Now I don't have pain with the VFF I can actually workout to my full potential. My knee, hip pain and foot pain are all most gone since wearing VFF. I should also let you all know that if I do wear thick soled cushiony insole shoes I tend to get a bad case of Retrocalcaneal Bursitis and also again with wearing my Vans daily and working out in the Vibrams I have been bursitis free for over a year now.
    Just my two cents worth =)
    Cindy
    ETA: love my new VFF!
  • Resalyn
    Resalyn Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I have been wearing my VFFs for strength training and cardio (either treadmill or stationary bike) since the beginning of January. The last few weeks or so I have had what I thought was a flare-up in left foot plantar fasciitis, but turns out my gastrocnemius (calf) and tibialis anterior (along the shin) muscles are pretty tight and a bit inflamed, probably from trying to transition too quickly. The muscles were so tight that I almost had no dorsiflexion at all.

I am a massage therapy student, and my instructor worked on my left leg for about an hour last night, and low and behold my dorsiflexion is back to almost normal and the heel pain wasn't there this morning when I got up. Now just need to keep working those muscles to keep them loose enough to avoid the pain.

My advice to anyone transitioning to minimalist footwear - just take it slow and easy and don't overdo it - it's much easier to prevent injury than try to recover from it!
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I have been wearing my VFFs for strength training and cardio (either treadmill or stationary bike) since the beginning of January. The last few weeks or so I have had what I thought was a flare-up in left foot plantar fasciitis, but turns out my gastrocnemius (calf) and tibialis anterior (along the shin) muscles are pretty tight and a bit inflamed, probably from trying to transition too quickly. The muscles were so tight that I almost had no dorsiflexion at all.

I am a massage therapy student, and my instructor worked on my left leg for about an hour last night, and low and behold my dorsiflexion is back to almost normal and the heel pain wasn't there this morning when I got up. Now just need to keep working those muscles to keep them loose enough to avoid the pain.

My advice to anyone transitioning to minimalist footwear - just take it slow and easy and don't overdo it - it's much easier to prevent injury than try to recover from it!

Interesting, thanks for sharing. I've also had a flare-up in the same area (even left foot!) so maybe I will try this! I also switched my work shoes recently (I have to wear steel toes), so it may be a result of that, too. But, the PAIN in my foot, UGH! :angry:
  • Resalyn
    Resalyn Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Interesting, thanks for sharing. I've also had a flare-up in the same area (even left foot!) so maybe I will try this! I also switched my work shoes recently (I have to wear steel toes), so it may be a result of that, too. But, the PAIN in my foot, UGH! :angry:

You're welcome! He also suggested that I do stretches several times a day - and/or get a tennis ball or maybe one of those knobby dryer balls - and roll it around under my foot - lightly and slowly, to help break up any adhesions, that it will also do light stretching of that tissue.....