She asked what about me?

Options

Replies

• cuatromommy
    cuatromommy Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    The key is to not tell them it's a diet meal...just cook it and be excited about it and they will follow. It's all about perception!
  • mzjandiace
    mzjandiace Posts: 162
    Options
    Hi mom of 6 here! First off get rid of the lean c. You can cook everything that they sell. Now you know we went from soul food to healthy soul food. My kids eat everything i cook. There are sooooo many recipes out there, and its all in the seasoning. Trust me she will eat it or be hungry. My husband said i tricked him cause the food taste even better, but i still buy them treats like ice cream but i buy skinny cow, so just plan it all out. My oldest kids are very fit and athletic, now they appreciate it, and my grandson lovessss broccoli and skinny cow ice cream
  • muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    My hubby doesn't think he needs to eat healthier, so I've just been making substitutions to make my normal meals healthier. Turns out, we weren't eating all that badly, mostly too big portions. I've cut back (or even completely out) the salt, started replacing ground beef for ground turkey, and swapped canned veggies for frozen veggies. Hubby doesn't cook most of the time, so he has no idea that I've made the changes.
  • LFDBabs
    LFDBabs Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Cook real, healthy food and eat less of it.

^^ This.........look at the Lean Cuisine Labels!! The sodium content is insane and NOT healthy for you, especially if this is a main staple in your "diet". You could cook the same stuff at home and be able to have possibly more of it and it'll taste a heck of a lot better and not have nearly as much sodium and other crap your body doesn't need!

This isn't about "dieting", it's about learning sustainable changes. If you can't keep real food in your dietary plan, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Eat Fresh!!
  • samandlucysmum
    Options
    One word,,SALT...ready made meals have a really hogh salt content, try using the meal ideas, adapt them to suit your family, and then put into freezable containers, a healthier option.
  • Dlynndavis
    Dlynndavis Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Cook Real Food! Most people turn to lean cuisine/healthy choice meals to try to establish portion control but it simply doesn't work because the food is not tasty enough to squash any cravings you may have and it certainly doesn't fill you up. You end up feeling like you just ate 320 calories of nothing! There are a lot of healthy eating options and start with no fried foods and smaller portions. Those two adjustments make a world of difference. Counting your calories on MFP really helps to put things in perspective too. I always have a calorie deficit and I'm always pleasantly full and satisfied by eating regular, healthy, well portioned meals. Once you're done with this batch of lean cuisine meals, get cooking to get and keep the whole family healthy! Good Luck!
  • sthrnspirit
    Options

Exactly! No trick to it. Log what you eat. Those 'frozen' dinners have TONS of sodium. Be very careful. It only took one month of me eating those before I was asking my doc why my hands were so thick....build up on the sodium. Quit eating the frozens and it dropped off in a couple of weeks.
    Cook healthy meals for you AND your family. They will benefit and continue to benefit....with you.
  • _Iffer_
    _Iffer_ Posts: 13
    Options

I agree with this!
  • faylenechung
    faylenechung Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    My children's doctor said that I can cook healthy for everyone and just give the kids more of what I am eating. she said they need more servings of veggies and fruit a day.
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    First off, I love your initiative here! the fact that you are asking for help and thinking about things like this shows that you will be successful!

I'll try and keep this short. Health is not only about the scale and the mirror, but your ability to fight off sickness, have a healthy heart, all the things you cannot see.

Anything in a package is not ideal. We weren't meant to eat it.
    Go with natural foods. Head down to the farmer's market and see what is in season. I've heard it said, don't cook the things your mom made you, cook the things your grandma made!

For weight loss, cut back on the carbs. This includes: sugar, bread, pasta, rice, oats. Eat more natural fats (ones from animals or plants) and really eat protein. Protein will help you feel full longer and not be snacky so much.

good luck with everything! We wish you and your family the best!
  • jaimesuefit
    Options
    I have nothing new to add - just want to say that I too am facing that same discussion at home. My daughter is 13 and is used to eating what she has always has. She's not overweight so she doesn't understand why she has to alter what she is eating. I keep telling her that it's about nutrition...it's a slow battle. I don't think constantly creating multiple meals so that everyone can have something different is a good long term solution.
  • rfarinha
    rfarinha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Remember that this is a lifestyle change... something to be maintained for the long haul. While Lean Cuisine may be convenient for the occassional meal, it's not something that you want to live on for the rest of your life.

Also... echoing what everyone else is saying... cook good food, pay attention to your portion size, and you will be good! The bottom line is you shouldn't be a "short-order cook".... your kitchen is not a "diner". Your family eats what you eat and vice versa.

Good luck to you!
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options

Yes!!!

This!

I make real, good, healthy food and my family eats it. My kids are 3 and 7 and eat it, shouldn't be a problem for a 14 year old, who is capable of cooking something else if she dislikes it. There are tons of recipes and website suggestions here, lots of great recipes.
  • Slice1
    Slice1 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I cook a meal but make variations for my bf and my son.

For example, recently I cooked chicken breasts in a sauce of salsa and honey dijon mustard, with some mushrooms and onions tossed in. And cut them into pieces.

My bf ate his as a wrap on flat bread (and ate 3 or 4 wraps). My son ate the chicken with some raw veggies as a side (which I keep plenty of raw, cut up veggies lately and just place them on the table at meal time)

I had a wrap, but I used a lettuce leaf for the wrap instead of flat bread because I'm limiting my carbs.

As others have said, eat the frozen meals occasionally. Cook a meal that's good for you and for your whole family.
    We should be encouraging our children to eat the clean foods that we're eating too.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I make all of our meals and they eat what I make. Even if they don't have an issue now (that you can see) they could develop one later so why not instill a love of healthy foods early? Another thing with those Lean Cuisine's is they tend to have a lot of sodium. I never go over on my sodium unless I eat out. We make almost all of our food from scratch so sodium just isn't an issue.

A lot of your favorite recipes can be slimmed down with a few substitutions. No reason you have to give up all the foods you love (or make your family do it.)
  • msradio
    msradio Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Again I just want to say thank everyone for their input I will def cut back on the frozen meals I usally just have them for lunch at work. So many good ideas! I'm so thankful to have found this site, U all ROCK as my daughter would say lol!
  • msradio
    msradio Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Again I just want to say thank everyone for their input I will def cut back on the frozen meals I usally just have them for lunch at work. So many good ideas! I'm so thankful to have found this site, U all ROCK as my daughter would say lol!
  • 2kidsandadonut
    2kidsandadonut Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I eat early before I cook for my family so I'm not tempted to eat what they do. (I have two boys and my hubby who are all twigs) Then I save points for splurge days when I have pizza with them. Other than that I go to the gym right after dinner so eating a big meal doesn't sound good if I know I have to work it off right away. If you are looking for healthier quick meals I suggest Schwan's they are a little pricier (not much tho) but their salt and fat content is much less. Plus they have meals for the whole family that are healthy for those who aren't very good at cooking and most of their stuff is around 10-15 dollars per meal which is cheaper than going out to eat! I also make healthier food for my family I replaced all the chips and crackers in my house with apples but if they want something sweet there is caramel dip or yogurt dip for them. Just little changes help.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Ok so I started dieting, my daughter and boyfriend are fit as a fiddle! To start off my weight loss I brought alot of lean cuisine meals and snacks. My 14 yr old daughter was like what about me? She eats some what healthy and i feel guilty making her eat what she's not use to. So how do I still cook for my family without getting tempted with what their eating? Someone please help!

I cook everything I always did just in healthy form and my loved ones LOVE it! Ground Turkey is awesome! My daughter would not eat poultry at all before I started this change and now she doesn;t want hamburger, she want's turkey burger as well as veggie burgers and has even tried chicken.

My SO found out when I made 2 styles of tacos one night, 1 hamburger, 1 turkey burger....My tacos tasted better, he hasn;t asked for beef since.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Get the Clean Eating cookbooks and cook from those. They are healthy, low calorie and taste like they should be adding pounds onto your body....