Planks

Options
I had been reading about planks on here and had no clue what they were. So I looked it up to see what they were and how they are done. After watching a YouTube video I thought "how hard could this possibly be?" WOW - I tried them last night and lasted TEN seconds!!!

Kudos to all of you that do them - I have a brand new respect for you :) I am going to keep at it and build myself up though, it is like a new challenge for me!

Replies

• seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    I do planks daily... usually for a minute at least. Keep going!!!!
  • KPainter70
    KPainter70 Posts: 152
    Options
    I added side planks a few weeks ago when I do my obliques. Now those are fun. ;o)
  • hiswifetheirmommy
    hiswifetheirmommy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I added side planks a few weeks ago when I do my obliques. Now those are fun. ;o)

Side planks are the devil!! :devil:
  • LittleD311
    LittleD311 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    i love planks, just keep practicing, you'll be a pro before you know it!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    LOL. They look so easy don't they.
  • mocoworm
    mocoworm Posts: 31
    Options
    What are the benefits ?
  • amycool
    amycool Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I do quite a lot of planks, you know there is a level one where you do it on your knees instead of your toes and that's a good way to start, you can still feel it working if you keep your back straight and your bum down but it's easier than the proper level 2 plank. Maybe you could do 30 seconds level one then 30 seconds level 2 for a while until you get up to a full minute on level 2 :-)
  • greenmm25
    greenmm25 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Plank switches were the devil but now I have been working on them not so bad now
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Rotational planks.....pure evil (or inclined planks using a balance ball......)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xe9r0v_learn-how-to-do-a-rotational-plank_sport
  • hikerjen
    hikerjen Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Planks rock! Once you get the basics down pat, try some of the many variations out there. Trying out different kinds of exercies help keep your work out fresh and you less likely to be bored. Best of luck!:smile:
  • sportyskylar
    Options
    planks are wayyyy better (in my opinion!!!) than crunches.
  • mama2shi
    mama2shi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the ideas and motivation. I will definitely try some of the alternatives and work my way up. Like I said, it is like a challenge now and I am hellbent on making it happen!
  • DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,471
    Options
    Planks are awesome. You can start out on your forearms and toes, then pop your plank up to your hands one side at a time. Then you can try a one handed plank by raising one arm towards the ceiling. Or you can be on your hands and your toes and try to walk your plank a couple of feet to one side and back. The possibilites are endless, plank on my friend!
  • daffy_girl
    Options
    Planks are good. I'm up to a minute where as when i first started, I only lasted 30 seconds. I've hit my stride with side planks. I say far more better than crunches.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    According to my personal trainer ... it's a great core abdominal exercise for strength & stability. I can do about a minute, and I'm 65yo. :)
  • perdie7
    perdie7 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    been working on my plank...did 3 min 5 seconds today, planning on challenging my sons when i get to 4 min. they have no idea I'm practicing, and that it will be a set up :bigsmile: last time they had a competition, the winner got to 3 min.
  • jaric01
    jaric01 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I like the plank to chaturanga. First time I saw it was in the P90x core dvd. Alternate 10 seconds plank and 10 seconds chaturanga. Best I ever did was about a minute of each. Now I can only do about 20-30 seconds each. :-(
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I do quite a lot of planks, you know there is a level one where you do it on your knees instead of your toes and that's a good way to start, you can still feel it working if you keep your back straight and your bum down but it's easier than the proper level 2 plank. Maybe you could do 30 seconds level one then 30 seconds level 2 for a while until you get up to a full minute on level 2 :-)

^This
    I've been starting on my knees as when I tried to go right into it on my toes I couldn't keep my posture correct. Now I'm getting my posture correct and have built up a bit more strength I do both.