What is "skinny fat"?

? I keep seeing this. I thought it was just when you are skinny but eat unhealthy and dont workout. If that is the case though then why would cardio lead to skinny fat?

Replies

• Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    The correct term is "Finny" ,hahahaha. That said just like our diet should be balanced, so should our exercise. Equal cardio to strength training should be the best, theoretically...
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    It's when someone is "skinny" yet has a high body fat percentage (little muscle).
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    skinny fat is where you have poor muscle tone ... cardio can lead to this IF you don't also do strength building moves (lunges, squats, push ups, and pull ups count too)

I was skinny fat at my lowest weight because i was losing muscle as a result of not consuming enough calories and protein. Now, I eat more and I lift...I weigh more but I'm 2 sizes smaller and 8% lower in body fat...

9fe0cb22.jpg

e8d60f22.jpg

me initially (front and back) , just doing lots of cardio and being a veggie

2012-03-20214552.jpg

me now as a CrossFitter and on a Paleo Diet at 160 lbs (that is ONLY a 5 lb loss!!!!!!)
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Ohhhhh ok.
    Well I do Insanity and dont think I am skinny fat at all. I just wanted to make sure though. :tongue:
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    It's when someone is "skinny" yet has a high body fat percentage (little muscle).

This. It's being skinny, with high body fat. All flab and no muscle, which is why it's more common in people that mainly do cardio and no strength training.

My picture might be a good example of skinny fat.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,446 Member
    ? I keep seeing this. I thought it was just when you are skinny but eat unhealthy and dont workout. If that is the case though then why would cardio lead to skinny fat?

There are 2 attributes of skinny fat:
    low weight unhealthy habits (crappy eating, no exercise....)
    low weight, high body fat percentage

low weight, high body fat percentage is rectified with strength training. Doing only cardio will give you a similar body composition at a lower weight, so you won''t look very "toned"
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    skinny fat implies that one is thin with low muscle mass.
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Wow, you look great. Thanks for sharing.
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    i was watching a movie called Day Zero. That Elija Wood or whatever his name is in the movie. ( The kid from Lord of the Rings)

Anywho, in one part of the movie, hes checking himself out in the mirror and says, " How can i be skinny and fat at the same time!? Thats almost physically impossible!"

Made me laugh. and think of MFP since we all know its definitely possible.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    I am considered skinny fat at 135 pounds and 27% BF...my reason is because I have PCOS,IR, and hypothyroidism..so it takes me FOREVER to lose body fat. I lost 40 pounds..but only 6% BF...I now have cut down on carbs..try to stick to complex carbs..and am 1/2 way through Stage 1 of NROL4W
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,247 Member

This. It's being skinny, with high body fat. All flab and no muscle, which is why it's more common in people that mainly do cardio and no strength training.

People who do cardio DO use their muscles, they are not skinny fat - whatever the hell that means.

People who do cardio will not have a high body fat, they will not have flab and WILL have muscle.

Muscle is always there, it is quite clever actually and will adapt to whatever way is best for the person's activities. Hence a marathon runner will be sleek, a sprinter will be bulkier/more muscle. A rower will have amazonian shoulders, a skiier will be extremely fit and strong.

All have muscles, all are different due to the various activities.

Weight lifting is not the be all and end all, even though many people on MFP seem to think it is.

I defy anybody to tell a marathon runner who does no weight training that they are "skinny fat" and they will laugh in your face ;)
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    I am currently skinny fat. Skinny based on the scale, but I have no muscle tone so I look squishy.
  • countdowntotarget
    countdowntotarget Posts: 108 Member
    skinny fat is when you are underweight and inactive, what fat you do have in your body accumulates around your vital organs - you can be overweight and active and your fat will be under the skin rather than around your organs which is actually healthier
  • cbl40
    cbl40 Posts: 281 Member
    Hmmmmm....is Lance Armstrong skinny fat? I don't know his workout routine, but he sure does cycle a lot! ; )
  • For those of you that are interested in the Bible, I used this phrase to assemble a sermon. The outline can be viewed here: http://www.wordsoftruth.net/ahealthyexteriorbut2012byeager.htm
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    ...better than being fat-fat.
  • mslindsay
    mslindsay Posts: 93 Member
    ...better than being fat-fat.

LOL! Where you have fat around your organs and under your skin.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Weight lifting is not the be all and end all, even though many people on MFP seem to think it is.

I agree with you. A lot of people on here think that everyone should be lifting weights and not only lifting weights, but lifting heavy. A person doesn't have to lift weights period to get results.
  • BlaireV
    BlaireV Posts: 137

People who do cardio DO use their muscles, they are not skinny fat - whatever the hell that means.

People who do cardio will not have a high body fat, they will not have flab and WILL have muscle.

Muscle is always there, it is quite clever actually and will adapt to whatever way is best for the person's activities. Hence a marathon runner will be sleek, a sprinter will be bulkier/more muscle. A rower will have amazonian shoulders, a skiier will be extremely fit and strong.

All have muscles, all are different due to the various activities.

I defy anybody to tell a marathon runner who does no weight training that they are "skinny fat" and they will laugh in your face ;)

This.