How do you make sweet potato fries?

Options
Alexstrasza
Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
I tried to once before and they came out all wrong! Lol.

How do I make them? I was thinking of having some with some steamed carrots for dinner. =D

Replies

• Faye10
    Faye10 Posts: 2
    Options
    :smile: Make them in the oven on a cookie sheet. Peel and cut them however you want them to look. Spray with cooking spray or lightly coat with Olive oil. Use high temperature, somewhere around 400 degrees. Check often, turning them. They get done quickly if cut thinly. let me know how they turn out.
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    How long do you cook them? Can you put cinnamon and splenda on them before you cook them?
  • Faye10
    Faye10 Posts: 2
    Options
    Try it. Cooking depends on the thickness of the fries.
  • kegonzales
    Options
    Mine are chopped into fry shapes, drizzled in olive oil, cooked at 400 degrees for about 20-25 mins. I turn mid way through. I have never added sugar or sweetener or cinnamon but you can try.
  • bgmomof3boys
    Options
    I always roast mine with a little olive oil and salt and pepper (old bay seasoning is good too) spray a cookie sheet with pam cut into "fries" and roast at about 400 for 10-20 min (it varies on your oven and how thick you cut the wedges) enjoy! I dip in ketchup and the kids LOVE them! ENJOY!!
  • josery1630
    josery1630 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    About 30 minutes at 350 or 15-20 minutes at 400. There's a recipe on Allrecipes.com that has you microwave them first, then bake them. Think I'll try that next time as I like mine thicker but they tend to burn on the outside before cooking on the inside.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/ts-sweet-potato-fries/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=sweet potato fries&e8=Quick Search&event10=1&e7=Home Page

I toss mine with olive oil and season with salt & pepper. You could definitely add the seasonings before you cook them. Just make sure you add some kind of oil.
  • Calipalm
    Calipalm Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I've made them once like this...

http://www.theartofdoingstuff.com/guaranteed-crispy-sweet-potato-fries-sriracha-mayo-dip/

and they were AMAZING!!!!!!!! So honestly I would give this a try and see what you think! Keep in mind that the recipe has you soak the chopped sweet potato in water for like 2 hours! but Its definitely yummy and worth it!
  • tessa209
    tessa209 Posts: 3
    Options
    My Dad owned a cafe where I learned and trained up to be a sous chef :)
    This is our famous recipe for sweet potato or (yam fries)
    Peel the sweet potato and cut into small fries
    Then arrange them onto a cookie sheet and spritz with cooking oil
    sprinkle spice rub on them ( recipe to follow)
    Then bake
    Simple easy and they come out soooo delicious they were our hot ticket item! My Dad used to serve them with mayo, but since we are trying to lose weight I think greek yogurt might make a good substitute
    Spice rub recipe ( I cut this down for a small recipe but you can make more with these ratios)
    1tsp and 1/2 salt
    1tsp sugar
    1tsp nutmeg
    1 tsp cinnamon
    Mix these all together and evenly distribute on the fries
  • lk27
    lk27 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I love sweet potato fries and make them a couple times a week. I usually peel the skin off and cut into french fry shape. Then I microwave them for about 4-5 minutes, stirring half way thru. I toss them with a little evoo (don't use too much), seasoned salt and cayenne pepper. Then I line the rack of my toaster oven with tin foil and bake at 450 for 10 min. If they are still a little soft, I will broil them for 3-4 more minutes.
  • jessielynn25
    Options
    I heard that after you cut the potato that if you put them in cold water with a little salt and let them soke for like 10-15 minutes the dry them off and bake them it will help to get them crunchy. i dont know how true that is...im making my first batch tomorrow actually..lol
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    bump
  • katglaze
    katglaze Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Dr Oz allows for frozen sweet potato fries, I buy them and bake them. As always I watch the sodium on the brand to try and get the lowest number.
  • 99cherrypie99
    99cherrypie99 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I do much the same as everyone else, but if you soak in saltwater for 1 hour it takes the starch out and they bake better...
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Do you have a cast iron skillet? Then use it. Anything that you want browned cooks *so* much better in cast iron. I mean SOOO much better. I once had to cook some in pyrex...they didn't even taste like the same food.

So...even if you don't have a cast iron skillet, use a baking sheet or something...just don't use a pyrex/glass container. They won't cook well.

Otherwise, I'm not sure there's any magic to it. I just cut them up, put in a little bit of oil (really, just a little), and bake until they are as done as I want them to be. I've made them as "fries", or as wedges or pieces. Yummy any way I slice them.

...and if you cook them long enough, there is absolutely no need for sugar. I'm not being a puritan about it either. They are SWEET all on their own, when properly cooked. When I feed them to other people, they almost accuse me of lying when I say there is absolutely nothing added except a little oil.
  • Babsvii
    Babsvii Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    i made them today

cut into fry size med thickness. but in a bowl of water for 30mins - half a day to let soak

Pre heat oven 425

in a bag put 1-2 tablespoons of corn starch, drain your fries throw them in the bag, fill bag with air shake around till all fries are coated.

Place on cookie sheet, drizzle 1-2 teaspoons of oil over fries, mix around with your hands till all fries are coved in oil.
    Spread out, don't let them touch each other or the end up just steaming and don't get crispy.

bake for 15 flip and bake again for another 10 mins or till they are as crispy as you like.
  • Cathy7794
    Cathy7794 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I like to toss them in a little bit of olive oil and a package of french onion soup/dip mix. Just sprinkle it on dry, toss to coat and spread the potatoes on a baking sheet. So good that way!
  • jopalis
    jopalis Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I read to get them actually crispy...cut and blot dry... shake in cornstarch...lay on cookie sheet...spray with some oil and season... bake..... The cornstarch is supposed to be the key to crispy.

Yes...like babsvi says above!
  • Annafly3
    Annafly3 Posts: 63
    Options
    bump
  • Britt2Fitjrny
    Britt2Fitjrny Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kbugsmeemaw
    kbugsmeemaw Posts: 107 Member
    Options