weighing food, seriously?

Options
I'm confused how people do this. If I am about to eat greek yoghurt the last thing i want to do is weigh it... that causes washing up and wastes the bit of yoghurt that is left in the scale when i'm finished weighing. And cheese... i tried weighing 4 small slices of cheese the other day, and then 1 slice, the scale hardly moved.. what is that supposed to tell me? And my scale measures lb's, so how do i know how many cups of something that is? etc etc

Replies

• MelHoneyRocks
    Options
    Are you using a food scale?
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    1. Get a food scale.
    2. 'Tare'
  • lschuttem
    lschuttem Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    first, a good food scale should be able to tell you what something weighs down to the gram or fraction of an ounce.
    when you weigh something u arent measuring it in cups (cups are volume) weight is grams/ounces/lbs.
    if you dont want to weigh something, then use measuring cups. Hope that helps a bit!
    weighing just helps make ur calorie estimating a whole lot more accurate
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Why are you weighing yogurt and cheese? I weigh meat. Everything else has a calorie count on the back of the packaging. If you eat half, log half.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    measure in grams not pounds. and put your plate, cup whatever on the scale then zero it...then add your food. digital scales are much better.
  • rookmb
    rookmb Posts: 84
    Options
    For those who weigh their food, I doubt if they're weighing servings that state "per cup" or "per half cup". Most will weigh meats and cheeses or anything that say's "per ounce". A good food scale will be very small and will measure the weight in ounces. Good Luck!!
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    Why are you weighing yogurt and cheese? I weigh meat. Everything else has a calorie count on the back of the packaging. If you eat half, log half.

you buy everything in single serving containers? i buy big tubs of greek yogurt and bags of shredded cheese. i have to weight whatever portion i am going to use.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    when i weigh my greek yogurt, i just put the bowl im going to eat it out of on the scale, zero it, and then weigh out 227 grams (my greek yogurt says 1 cup [227g] for a serving size)..
    but my scale does grams, or oz/lbs .. and fractions of an oz
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I weigh mine out.. it was very sad to see how little one ounce of nuts is..... = (
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Yogurt & other liquidy items I would measure using a measuring cup not by the ounce. If the package lists the nutritionals by the slice/cup/whatever I would use that information. Meat or nutritionals by the ounce (or whatever unit) I would weigh on the scale.

A digital food scale would help.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Measuring cups, spoons, and a digital food scale are your friends. It sucks at first but once it's part of your routine you'll be fine. It's the only way to accurately figure out how much you're eating. If you want some rice and you only want one 2/3 cup or ## grams serving how would you know without a measuring cup or scale?
  • billtonkin
    billtonkin Posts: 109
    Options
    I'm confused how people do this. If I am about to eat greek yoghurt the last thing i want to do is weigh it... that causes washing up and wastes the bit of yoghurt that is left in the scale when i'm finished weighing. And cheese... i tried weighing 4 small slices of cheese the other day, and then 1 slice, the scale hardly moved.. what is that supposed to tell me? And my scale measures lb's, so how do i know how many cups of something that is? etc etc

U0wsP.jpg
  • LindaDomico
    Options
    i would go to walmart and buy a 20.00 digital scale. it measures grams, lbs, oz and kg. you can also use the "tare" so if you set a cup on it and it weighs 13g you can hit the button called "tare" and it will ZERO the scale then you can put the correct amount of say cereal or whatever. it's the best thing i ever used besides of course "myfitnesspal" Hope this helps:smile:
  • PixelTreason
    PixelTreason Posts: 226 Member
    Options

U0wsP.jpg

Pretty much!

I use a digital food scale and I weigh everything, for the most part. The only things I don't weigh are things like the 6oz greek yogurt cup (when I eat the whole thing - if I split it up, I weigh it!).
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    The main reason to weigh food is that we tend to have "lying eyes". Most of us over estimate our calories burned and under estimate our calories eaten (usually due to underestimating portion sizes).

However, if you're eating something that's premeasured like a tub of Greek yogurt, there's no need to weigh it - just use the facts on the container. If you're scooping it out of a big tub, scoop it into a measuring cup, weigh it once and you know how much that cupful weighs...then just use that to scoop it out all the time. I also generally don't weigh or measure things I'm splitting into a specific number of portions all for myself. Example: If I eat "half" of something one day and "half" the next day, it doesn't really matter that one day may be a little more than half and the other less. I just log half each day.

I do weigh stuff that I have no other way of determining serving size, but it only takes a second. Set bowl/plate on scale and note weight. Add food. Note weight. Subtract.
  • nk17
    nk17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I bought my food scale at WalMart. It was a Biggest Loser scale. It measures in oz. or metric and has a memory and zeroes out with whatever you put on top of it before adding to it. I love it.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Wondering where some of these people come from.. lol

First get yourself a digital kitchen scale. For about $10-$15 you can get one that weighs in oz/lb or grams. Most will subtract the dish if you put it on the scale before turning the scale on (this is known as tare). Then whatever you put in the dish is the only thing weighed. Then measure foods like pieces of meat, vegetables, flour, sugar.. etc. You don't measure a cup of yogurt if you are eating the whole thing. It should have the weight already on it. You can use that as a reference in MFP database when you log your food to make sure you have the right product chosen.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I do weigh stuff that I have no other way of determining serving size, but it only takes a second. Set bowl/plate on scale and note weight. Add food. Note weight. Subtract.

I'm spoiled, my digital scale does that for me. :embarassed:
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    I weigh lots of things, not if the are prepackaged in individual units though...my yogurt is 6 ounces so no need to way.

My meat-weighing for sure!