Non-Religious Friends?

Options

Replies

• feb06momma
    feb06momma Posts: 169
    Options
    You are welcome to add me! I am spiritual, but not religious. :)
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Add away, man. I have no patience for magical thinking of any sort.
  • SunshineRox007
    SunshineRox007 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    What about a religious friend who doesn't post things about God on friend's status unless they are religious too?
  • alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    For real, I think it varies with each person, but my understanding is that 'religious' means "I believe in a kind of religious system like christianity, judaism, islam, paganism, whatever, or a specific branch of that, and so I follow the rules they say", and spiritual is more like "I feel I have a personal connection with the world on some spiritual/heart level." Your mileage may vary--!
  • Mel2626
    Mel2626 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    How funny, I was just thinking about this today! I also consider myself very spiritual but am not religious. I'll add you too! :smile:
  • Malrose01
    Malrose01 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I will attempt to explain the difference between religious and spiritual: Religious is when you subscribe to a particular organized religion, and you take that church's word as the law of God and life and whatnot. Being spiritual is when you aren't affiliated with a church, but you do have your own ideas about God- basically, you just believe whatever feels right to you and try to be a good person. People may be more spiritual than religious because they have had bad experiences with organized religion in the past, or because they just can't find a church that matches the beliefs and ideas about morality and what it means to be a good person. That's my take on it, anyway.
  • stacyfoo
    stacyfoo Posts: 47
    Options
    feel free to add me if you like :)
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    i dont beleave in discussing mine so feel free to add me
  • hedleyrocks247
    hedleyrocks247 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    That's me!! Feel free to add me if you like :)
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    oooo add me ... I meditate every morning and am spiritual but not religious
  • GonnaBeAFitMom
    GonnaBeAFitMom Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Oh, and out of respect for myself I am 'allowed' to have male friends lol!

this. so much.

I'm not religious, I don't care if others are, but I don't really like to read about it. I'm digging myself out of this, maybe with a little help from my friends? :) Feel free to add me, I'm a half way decent cheerleader.
  • SaketoKim
    SaketoKim Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Bump and add everyone on this!! :)
  • cindyj7
    cindyj7 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    You've found a kindred spirit. Please feel free to add me. :flowerforyou:
  • 967_1111
    967_1111 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Don't add me. While I attend church and hold my faith as important, I don't shove it down the throats of others. However, if you've decided to pre-judge me based on my faith, all I can do is wish you good luck, and I hope you find whatever you think you are looking for.
  • TheNewo
    TheNewo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Can someone please explain to me what the difference between "spiritual" and "religious" is? This has always confused me.

religious usually entails some kind of code, doctrine, affiliation with a particular church or creed. For example a Catholic person has a specific religion, where as being "spiritual" denotes some kind of belief; whether it is God or the Flying Spaghetti Monster, but does not usually subscribe to a particular denomination.
  • TiffanyDawn79
    TiffanyDawn79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Great topic! Any and all, feel free to add me!
  • thurberj
    thurberj Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I believe that I hold my fate in my hands. I make decisions that affect how my life goes. I find it interesting that no one over 38 years old has stated that they are agnostic or "spiritual"......I'm 57 and my "non beliefs" are a minority in my age group.....get's lonely sometimes:-) At least my husband and children and their spouses are with me on this.....
  • Nucky719
    Nucky719 Posts: 143
    Options
    Spiritual but not religious here. Feel free to add =)
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I believe that I hold my fate in my hands. I make decisions that affect how my life goes. I find it interesting that no one over 38 years old has stated that they are agnostic or "spiritual"......I'm 57 and my "non beliefs" are a minority in my age group.....get's lonely sometimes:-) At least my husband and children and their spouses are with me on this.....

I'm 57, too. I think there are a fair number of closeted 'non-religious' people in our generation. I am not anti-religion, and respect people who benefit by it. But, I am very much secular myself. I do think that we are masters of our destiny, but dumb luck enters in quite a lot.

I don't mean to offend anyone who believes otherwise.
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Don't add me. While I attend church and hold my faith as important, I don't shove it down the throats of others. However, if you've decided to pre-judge me based on my faith, all I can do is wish you good luck, and I hope you find whatever you think you are looking for.

I'm not pre-judging. I'm just asking for the type of motivation that I need at this point in my journey. I specifically thanked my current MFP friends who are religious for their support and positivity - I'm not deleting them if their journey is religious, I'm just looking for people more akin to where I'm at in my own life and spirituality right now. Hope that makes sense.
This discussion has been closed.