What is "skinny fat"?

Options
2»

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Skinny fat isn't just the absence of muscle. That's just plain skinny.

Skinny fat is when someone is a normal body weight, but a high body fat percentage. I'm sure you've seen men and women who don't weight a lot, and might have little spindly arms and legs, but a mushy gut or droopy butt. That's skinny fat.

Last time I lost weight, with a large calorie deficit, I became skinny fat. I weighed the same as I do now, but I still had a muffin top, back fat rolls, double chin, etc. I didn't retain my muscle mass as I lost weight, and it wasn't pretty.

Photos: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/494091-i-just-don-t-care-anymore
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Skinny fat isn't just the absence of muscle. That's just plain skinny.

Skinny fat is when someone is a normal body weight, but a high body fat percentage. I'm sure you've seen men and women who don't weight a lot, and might have little spindly arms and legs, but a mushy gut or droopy butt. That's skinny fat.

Last time I lost weight, with a large calorie deficit, I became skinny fat. I weighed the same as I do now, but I still had a muffin top, back fat rolls, double chin, etc. I didn't retain my muscle mass as I lost weight, and it wasn't pretty.

Photos: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/494091-i-just-don-t-care-anymore
    ^^^This. I had the same issue. I lost a ton of fat doing Insanity and "thought" I was eating enough, but ended up "flabby fit." That's why I'm working at balancing the cardio with strength training and making sure I am fueling my muscles!
  • london_chick
    london_chick Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    just like everyone has said, it's being skinny, but with no muscle. i used to be very skinny 'fat'. i lost weight in my first year out of high school, going out a lot, drinking, but not eating properly. i did this for a couple of years and i dropped about 20-25kgs. got as low as 49. but i had no muscle, and my stomach and thighs still had those ugly ripples. the moment i started eating normally, i piled on the kgs.

whilst your still skinny, its not the way to go. you can't sustain the weight and lead a healthy lifestyle. ideally you need to build muscle (which involves both cardio and strength training), eat substantially and healthily, and your body will to turn into a calorie burning machine. the weight also becomes much harder to put on.

i'm not an expert by any means, and still to this day struggle with my weight, but i can talk from experience.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    From what I understand it's when someone looks skinny/thin but really has no muscle definition or tone. :)
  • mmklinemm
    mmklinemm Posts: 58 Member
    Options

People who do cardio DO use their muscles, they are not skinny fat - whatever the hell that means.

People who do cardio will not have a high body fat, they will not have flab and WILL have muscle.

Muscle is always there, it is quite clever actually and will adapt to whatever way is best for the person's activities. Hence a marathon runner will be sleek, a sprinter will be bulkier/more muscle. A rower will have amazonian shoulders, a skiier will be extremely fit and strong.

All have muscles, all are different due to the various activities.

Weight lifting is not the be all and end all, even though many people on MFP seem to think it is.

I defy anybody to tell a marathon runner who does no weight training that they are "skinny fat" and they will laugh in your face ;)

Thank you!
  • siobhano_
    siobhano_ Posts: 101
    Options
    Lol I think i'm a pretty good example of it. I'm 5'9 and about 143lbs, yet my bf% is 27%.
    It's being small according to the scale and when clothed, but looking wobbly, having no muscle tone, and having a high bf%.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    It's when someone is "skinny" yet has a high body fat percentage (little muscle).

This. It's being skinny, with high body fat. All flab and no muscle, which is why it's more common in people that mainly do cardio and no strength training.

My picture might be a good example of skinny fat.

People who do cardio DO use their muscles, they are not skinny fat - whatever the hell that means.

People who do cardio will not have a high body fat, they will not have flab and WILL have muscle.

Muscle is always there, it is quite clever actually and will adapt to whatever way is best for the person's activities. Hence a marathon runner will be sleek, a sprinter will be bulkier/more muscle. A rower will have amazonian shoulders, a skiier will be extremely fit and strong.

Weight lifting is not the be all and end all, even though many people on MFP seem to think it is.

I defy anybody to tell a marathon runner who does no weight training that they are "skinny fat" and they will laugh in your face ;)

I agree with you about cardio not leading to being skinny fat, but just want to point out that sprinters and rowers probably spend some time in the weights room as well to get the strength they need.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    and what's with 27% being a high percentage body fat? I thought 25 - 30 % was average for women.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    It's when someone is "skinny" yet has a high body fat percentage (little muscle).

This. It's being skinny, with high body fat. All flab and no muscle, which is why it's more common in people that mainly do cardio and no strength training.

My picture might be a good example of skinny fat.

I'd like you to find me a legitimate marathon runner with good times that actually is "skinny fat". Nobody said its ALWAYS the result of only cardio... and most people don't do that much cardio.
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    just saying... I used to do only cardio (I think i did my weights circuit two or three times, lol) and I definitely did not end up skinnyfat. I had toned runners legs that looked like they could kick down buildings (I have really large lower body muscles, for some reason, lol). my bf was supposedly 16%. every time you push off the ground you're lifting your entire body weight. ;)

i want to do weights to get strong and sculpt... not to burn cals. o_O