Seriously doubting.....

Options
the process. I just went to this website, as reccomended by helloitsdan (on his page). I calculated my BMR, which it says is 1726 (same as what MFP says) Ok, so I should burn more than that to lose weight right? I have been eating 1500 cals or less, and I always try to eat more than 1200. According to this website, I should eat 1800 minimum. I'm confused. If I have a fairly sendentary lifestyle. Mostly desk job, with some moving around and standing. (I'd say the time spent sitting is about 75% of the time)

I have been on this site for months, I lost intitially, 8lbs. I have been stuck for months now. I could definately be more active, so far this week I have only worked out twice. Not to make excuses, but I feel like I have been so exausted all the time! I work a stressful job, and by the time I come home, i just wanna curl up with a book, and go to bed early. I get plenty of sleep, 7 or 8 hours at least.

So, my question is, should I really up my calories to lose weight? The math just doesn't add up for me. Really hope someone can explain how eating more than my BMR will help me lose!? I am terrified of moving backwards....Advice please?

Here are my stats:
Height: 5ft 9 in
Weight: 202
Goal Weight: 160

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• cgraylyon
    cgraylyon Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how this site has you eating 1800 when it says your BMR is 1726. Do you have it set up to maintain or to lose a lb. per week?
  • StarryEyed500
    StarryEyed500 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is what you'd burn if you stayed in bed all day, not moving. Once you get out of bed, you burn extra calories. To lose weight, you should eat between your BMR and the amount you burn out of bed.
    If you're stuck, it can't hurt to try for a few weeks. If you up your intake to 1750ish, you may start to see the weight come off again.

Multiply your BMR by 1.275-1.35 (depending on how much moving you do in a day) to see what you could be burning in a day. That's the figure you need to eat less than.
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    Did you add the multiplier for sedentary to the 1726?

I just ran your stats and got 2077 for sedentary.
  • plzlbsbegone
    Options
    I copied this from the website....Maybe this will clarify what I just saw....

Entered information: 28 year old female, 69 inches tall, weighing 202 pounds.

From the information that you entered, you'd like to weigh 160 lbs.

Harris-Benedict Formula

There are a few different methods to calculating yourbasal metabolic rate (BMR). One of the most popular, developed in the early 1900's is called the Harris-Benedict formula. Based on this formula, your current BMR is 1726 calories.

How Many Calories Should I Eat?

Based on your goal weight, the following chart was generated. The chart shows the number of calories that you should eat on a daily basis to reach your goal weight. At Fat 2 Fit Radio we advocate eating like the thin, healthy person that you want to become. The calorie levels you see in the chart are not extreme, but they do create that all important caloric deficit that is required to get you to your goal weight in a safe manner. Once you reach your goal weight, you will continue eating the same number of calories for the rest of your life to maintain that weight. You'll never be on a diet again.

Based on how much activity you do on an average day, the calories in the right column will be the number of calories that you will be able to eat at your goal weight. If you start eating those calories right now (eating like the thinner you), you will eventually become that thinner person. As you get closer to your goal weight, your weight loss will start to slow down. It is OK to eat a few hundred calories less per day (200-300) to speed up your weight loss at this point.

Activity Level

Daily Calories

Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job)

Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk)

Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk)

Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk)

Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.)

• dg09
    Options
    That's confusing.

Those numbers are for your goal weight (160 lbs) with the multipliers.

I would just get the number for sedentary with your current stats, subtract 500 calories (1lb/wk), and go with that.
  • plzlbsbegone
    Options
    so around 1500 should be right?
  • dg09
    Options

Yep. I think 1,500 is right.

If your weight loss has stalled, it could be just a plateau you would have to wait out. I don't think it has anything to do with the 1500 calories you've been eating.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

If your weight loss has stalled, it could be just a plateau you would have to wait out. I don't think it has anything to do with the 1500 calories you've been eating.

I read it that you shoud be eating 1853 to lose weight (the stats bake in the deficit needed for weight loss) assuming you are sedentary. If your MBR is 1726 you should not be eating below this.

dg09 - sorry to contradict:flowerforyou:
  • dg09
    Options

I read it that you shoud be eating 1853 to lose weight (the stats bake in the deficit needed for weight loss) assuming you are sedentary. If your MBR is 1726 you should not be eating below this.

That 1853 is her maintain weight for 160lbs at sedentary. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't think so.

1726 is just the base number waiting for the multiplier, when added it comes to 2071. If she ate at 1726, that would only be 345 calories a day below maintenance, or 2416 a week... not even 1 lb.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

That 1853 is her maintain weight for 160lbs at sedentary. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't think so.

1726 is just the base number waiting for the multiplier, when added it comes to 2071. If she ate at 1726, that would only be 345 calories a day below maintenance, or 2416 a week... not even 1 lb.

If you read the 'blurb' in the calcs is states that is is the amount she needs to eat to achieve her weight loss goal - therefore it already includes the deficit.
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Based on how much activity you do on an average day, the calories in the right column will be the number of calories that you will be able to eat at your goal weight. If you start eating those calories right now (eating like the thinner you), you will eventually become that thinner person. As you get closer to your goal weight, your weight loss will start to slow down. It is OK to eat a few hundred calories less per day (200-300) to speed up your weight loss at this point.

You should be eating at the calorie level that coincides with your activity level in the chart that was given to you.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

You should be eating at the calorie level that coincides with your activity level in the chart that was given to you.

^^this
  • dg09
    Options

If you read the 'blurb' in the calcs is states that is is the amount she needs to eat to achieve her weight loss goal - therefore it already includes the deficit.
    Based on how much activity you do on an average day, the calories in the right column will be the number of calories that you will be able to eat at your goal weight. If you start eating those calories right now (eating like the thinner you), you will eventually become that thinner person.

"You will eventually become that thinner person". It's true you will, because that 1800 calories is about 200 calories less than her current TDEE, she'll get to her goal in 4 years. Think about that.

She's burning 2000 calories now at her current weight, but she shouldn't eat no less than 1853 calories?
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    No, the Fat2Fit calculator is set up differently. It is giving you what your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) would be at your goal weight, based on a specific activity level. With this calculator, you are supposed to factor in all activities, so exercise would be included, and eat at that calorie goal, exercise, and eat no exercise calories back. So if you exercise, you would not be sedentary.

Your BMR is what you would burn if you were laying around all day, basically. You need to eat more this because I assume you do more than lay down all day. You should not eat below your BMR.

What I would do is set MFP up to lose 1 lb per week, set your activity level to sedentary or lightly active (sedentary on here is a little low for most people), and see what it gives you. Eat most/all exercise calories. This will likely set you up to eat over 2,000 calories per day total on days you exercise.

This is probably the more sustainable way to lose weight (fat), maintain your muscle mass, and fuel your daily activities and workouts.

Awesome group on MFP, if you are interested: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/17-women-eating-2-000-calories-per-day
  • plzlbsbegone
    Options
    No, the Fat2Fit calculator is set up differently. It is giving you what your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) would be at your goal weight, based on a specific activity level. With this calculator, you are supposed to factor in all activities, so exercise would be included, and eat at that calorie goal, exercise, and eat no exercise calories back. So if you exercise, you would not be sedentary.

Your BMR is what you would burn if you were laying around all day, basically. You need to eat more this because I assume you do more than lay down all day. You should not eat below your BMR.

What I would do is set MFP up to lose 1 lb per week, set your activity level to sedentary or lightly active (sedentary on here is a little low for most people), and see what it gives you. Eat most/all exercise calories. This will likely set you up to eat over 2,000 calories per day total on days you exercise.

This is probably the more sustainable way to lose weight (fat), maintain your muscle mass, and fuel your daily activities and workouts.

Awesome group on MFP, if you are interested: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/17-women-eating-2-000-calories-per-day

On MFP, set at sendentary, my goal is 1620. I workout apx. 3 times a week. I typically do not eat those calories back. Maybe thats where I am going wrong?
  • dg09
    Options
    Yes, at worst eat half of them back.

I'd recommend a HRM so you have a better idea about how much you're burning in your workouts... if you don't already have one.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Based on how much activity you do on an average day, the calories in the right column will be the number of calories that you will be able to eat at your goal weight. If you start eating those calories right now (eating like the thinner you), you will eventually become that thinner person.

"You will eventually become that thinner person". It's true you will, because that 1800 calories is about 200 calories less than her current TDEE, she'll get to her goal in 4 years. Think about that.

She's burning 2000 calories now at her current weight, but she shouldn't eat no less than 1853 calories?

Her BMR is 1726 so she should not be eating 1500.

Also, the 'blurb' also states "Based on your goal weight, the following chart was generated. The chart shows the number of calories that you should eat on a daily basis to reach your goal weight"
  • x0blacksails0x
    Options
    A big factor could be WHAT you are eating as well. I could eat 1500 calories of junk and still not lose weight though I have a deficit. A lot of it will depend of what type of body you have as to how your body burns best. Some people won't lose weight without consuming dairy, while some can't lose without a low carb diet. I would change your diet and try different workout routines in addition to fixing the calorie consumption to the proper number.
  • dg09
    Options

Also, the 'blurb' also states "Based on your goal weight, the following chart was generated. The chart shows the number of calories that you should eat on a daily basis to reach your goal weight"

http://www.fitwatch.com/qkcalc/caloriedeficitcalculator.php

My BMR is 2257, MFP has me at 1880 daily. You're saying that's wrong?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

http://www.fitwatch.com/qkcalc/caloriedeficitcalculator.php

My BMR is 2257, MFP has me at 1880 daily. You're saying that's wrong?

If that is you BMR, then yes, thats what I am saying. It is my understanding that it is not recommended to eat below your BMR.