To Increase or Decrease?

Options
2»

Replies

• Michelle650
    Michelle650 Posts: 218
    Options
    I just rechecked my HRM and in that particular day it was 2200 calls burned not 2400 so I decreased it by 500 which is 1700 cala. I have just changed my food diary to this too! Fingers crossed it works!
  • angelicazaldivar
    angelicazaldivar Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Good luck!!! Just make sure u give it time! dont get discouraged/upset if u see a GAIN on the scale (which isnt the best way to determine success ne ways, measurements and progress pics are best!). at first ur body will have to readjust to the intake, so it might take a week or two to start seeing drop in numbers :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I just rechecked my HRM and in that particular day it was 2200 calls burned not 2400 so I decreased it by 500 which is 1700 cala. I have just changed my food diary to this too! Fingers crossed it works!

Sounds sensible - the calculators that MFP and other sites use are really just math for an 'average' person that does not take into account an individual's specifics. Isn't it great when you realize you can eat more!!
  • Michelle650
    Michelle650 Posts: 218
    Options
    It. Does feel great. I was just afraid to up them because i don't exercise a huge amount!b
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    It. Does feel great. I was just afraid to up them because i don't exercise a huge amount!b

The great thing about the tool is that you can track your exercise calories - if you exercise, try to eat them back to stay at the same equivalent deficit. Iyou don't exercise, you just have less that you can eat - but you still should eat 1600 - 1700 calories without working out.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Just so you know, HRM estimates of calories are based on formulas that are ONLY valid in the aerobic range of HR, about 90-150, outside that range they are very inaccurate.
    http://www.braydenwm.com/cal_vs_hr_ref_paper.pdf

So forget wearing it outside of exercise, those numbers are meaningless.

You actually had a great routine of eating slightly above your estimated BMR and eating back your exercise. Might have been too fine a line, because your true BMR may indeed be higher than estimated, when allowed to fly.

That would not have prevented weight loss though, just makes it easier.

What you may also be experiencing is the fact you could be dropping fat and inches, but storing more glucose/water in your muscle, expanding your muscle.

You are eating at a level that would allow your body to repair and recover well from your workouts.

Do clothes fit better, are measurements better?
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I think you made the right decision to up your calorie goal at least for awhile. I agree don't go below your BMR in fact you should stay above it depending on your activity level. I haven't tried it but I think zigzaging is worth a try to shake things up sometimes too. I am now spending a few weeks on maintenance to get my metabolism back up again. Best wishes.