Healthy snacks to take to the movies?

Options
LaurenAOK
LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
So I'm going to the Hunger Games midnight premiere tonight (SOOOO EXCITED AAHHH), and I know I'm going to be so tempted to get popcorn! I hardly ever go to the movies so it's a treat for me. But I'm going to try to resist by sneaking in my own snacks! Last time I brought my own popcorn from the store, which I thought would be better than the stuff at the theater, but I ended up eating almost the whole bag so it turned out to be even worse :( Basically, if something is in front of me during a movie, I will eat it nonstop.

Any ideas of healthier "treats" I can take this time? What do you guys do? I always appreciate a good blend of sweet and salty :)

Replies

• cmayfield3
    cmayfield3 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Pop chips, dried cranberries, grapes, and granola bars! Have fun!
  • V3ggieL0vinGinger
    Options
    Awwe you're so lucky! I'm busy and can't go to the midnight showing :( I always pop about 2 tbsp of popcorn in a pot with a bit of oil (I use coconut) and then take a yummy drink like almond milk. You could also pick up some healthy cookies like Quinoa cookies. There's these delicious orange ones you can get at health food stores :)
  • LaurenAOK
    Options
    Thanks guys! I will have to try pop chips, I've heard a lot about them. Also popping my own popcorn sounds like a great idea!
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    can I ask why you can't have the popcorn there? that's one of the best parts of the whole experience is movie theater popcorn. and I've gotten used to is minus the butter now, I think, and it is still pretty good. add a large diet coke and you're golden.
  • LaurenAOK
    Options
    can I ask why you can't have the popcorn there? that's one of the best parts of the whole experience is movie theater popcorn. and I've gotten used to is minus the butter now, I think, and it is still pretty good. add a large diet coke and you're golden.

It's just so many calories :/ You must have stronger will power than I do. If I get popcorn there, I HAVE to get butter - I just love buttery popcorn. MMmmm. Also it's SO expensive, that's a big part of it!
  • EvaJ20
    EvaJ20 Posts: 33
    Options
    Even before I was counting calories I took (2) 100 calorie packs (pre-popped) and a diet green tea in my bag...because the prices at the movies are RIDICULOUS! But that is just me.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    definitely expensive. but, like I said, it's part of the experience.

make yourself say no butter. it isn't that bad. and get a small if you aren't able to quit munching. small is a shade under 700 calories. medium is 900. the extra time at the gym, for me, is definitely worth the treat.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Even before I was counting calories I took (2) 100 calorie packs (pre-popped) and a diet green tea in my bag...because the prices at the movies are RIDICULOUS! But that is just me.

^^^^this is a GREAT idea!!!
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Ppp chips would prob be good, considering you're used to crunchy flavorful popcorn. Another suggestion is rice cakes, Quaker has a ranch flavor that is pretty good. I worked at a theatre in high school and remain totally turned off to popcorn.
  • luvnthenewme
    luvnthenewme Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I am going to the midnight premier tonight, too!! I am bringing apple slices and bottled water with me. Not exciting, but at least it will be healthy :)
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Congrats on skipping the movie popcorn...a news report last night said a large popcorn at the movies along with a medium coke was almost 2,000 calories...OUCH not to mention your wallet crying.

I buy the 100 cal bags of micro-wave popcorn. It is all measured out for me...a good walk will burn enough calories for two bags! Cost next to nothing.
  • htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    When I went to the movies, I'd bring goldfish crackers. Anything salty satisfies the craving for popcorn for me. Or chew some gum, I do that too. If I do get popcorn I get it without butter and I get a small. I can't even stand all that butter anyway.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I just went to an advanced screening tonight (it was awesome!) and I got the lowest calorie/fat option they have at the theatre - I got the kids pack which is a few cups of popcorn (no butter), a Diet Coke to drink, and it came with a box of Smarties. I feel good about it because I still got to enjoy all the good stuff, but with reasonable portions.
  • LadyBeryl
    LadyBeryl Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    grapes & sunflower seeds

Maybe you can sneak in a zero calorie butter spray, some flavor sprinkles and eat the theater popcorn.
  • jenomaha
    jenomaha Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I usually do the 100 cal pack of popcorn, water, a coke zero and a 100 cal pack of cocoa roasted almonds! Thats the plan for me when I go this Sunday! Enjoy!
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I buy a bottle of water and sip it during the movie.

That's it.
  • gimmewellness
    gimmewellness Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    trail mix. Limit yourself as you said you will munch mindlessly while watching the movie. Pretzels, M&M's, raisins, almonds, coconut. throw in whatever you like. Take a small zip loc bag so your portion is already controlled. Enjoy yourself at the movie!!
  • jlebert716
    jlebert716 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Depending what theater you are at its really not that bad to eat the popcorn. Without butter at the ones near me a small popcorn is about 400 calories. Popcorn in general is a low calorie snack
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I get this stuff called smart pop...it comes in cute little 100 cal bags <3 it! But for popcorn, I will take 2 tbsp of popcorn, a bit of olive oil, and pop it in a brown paper bag...it comes out to like 20ish cals a cup, then spray it with light butter spray & a bit of salt
  • onlyhalfcrazy
    onlyhalfcrazy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    1 bag of 100 calorie popcorn and 1/2 a cup of peanut butter cheerios. Perfect!! Its salty and sweet and the crunch is satisfing!! Enjoy the show and know that your doing good!!