Getting ready to do the warrior dash in two months. What sho

Options
It's a 3.08 mile run with obstacles along the way. Mostly climing and balance stuff. I'm not in running shape and I haven't done weight training in ages. What kind of exercises should I do to get prepaired? I have two months to get ready.

http://warriordash.com/register2012_north_carolina.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l67GOuFDRik

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QNL39jGXp8

Replies

• golferd
    golferd Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Push ups, running, pull-ups, short-burst runs.

Completed savage race twice and tough mudder once
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    thanks. Anything I could do in the gym? which machines or weights?
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Trail running might help the most, but work on deadlifts, squats, bench press, shoulder press, and pull-ups. Don't do isolation exercises, just focus on compound exercises.
  • Destinie589
    Destinie589 Posts: 211
    Options
    Cool!! I am doing it on April 21! Go us! Anyway the course really isn't bad just be sure you are fit enough to run a 5k. :drinker:
  • Becca308
    Becca308 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm doing one in May and one in July, so these tips are super useful - thanks!
  • RedFeffer
    RedFeffer Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    LOL STAIRS!!! I am running it for the second time this year in Ontario, and can hardly wait!! It was the MOST FUN of last year, don't forget to dress up! :) Trail running is good for sure, and honestly - you should try doing Jillian Michaels' videos - she'll kick your butt into shape pretty quick! :) What you need is endurance!
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Same here. Get running, get lifting and may the odds be ever in your favor.
  • Suz_w8loss
    Suz_w8loss Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Glad I found this. My race is in May & I have been running. I really need to get some more upper body strength. I have Jillian's 30 DS but is that enough?
  • KristenStone
    KristenStone Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Same here. Get running, get lifting and may the odds be ever in your favor.

Bahaha NICE!

#Hungergamesinreallife
  • ochi79
    ochi79 Posts: 3
    Options
    THATS FAB! I wish you luck and kick some *kitten* ! :smile:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I did it last June, and the only "strength" training I'd done at the time was body weight and 5# dumbbell stuff. People of every athletic level were there... it's challenging, but more fun than anything.

I did Couch to 5k to prepare for the running, but the obstacles broke up the running segments so much that there was never more than a quarter to maybe a half mile or so running at a time. There were bottlenecks at some of the obstacles where we had to wait our turn, and a few areas where it was so muddy that we had to hike instead of run. And it would have been a blast even if we hiked the whole thing instead.
  • CCChaos625
    CCChaos625 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    The site has workouts and a plan for you. Friends and family are doing it with me In August in NY. I am so looking forward to it.

There is also an ipod app- C25K, couch to 5K to get you to work up to a 5 k run.

The warrior dash site gives you the workout suggestions starting 8 weeks out or so. Check it out!

GOOD LUCK & HAVE FUN!
  • Tkdrocks66
    Tkdrocks66 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My wife are planning to participate in May also. This is our first real excursion and can't wait. Mud, Sweat and Beer!!!!! Arggggh.
  • ochi79
    ochi79 Posts: 3
    Options
    #Hungergamesinreallife
    [/quote]

Total HUNGER GAMES! SO AWESOME!!
  • wmsiegrist
    wmsiegrist Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My wife did it last year with no training prior. We both are in gym now-a-days though. She'll probably do it again this year and she just told me when I read this to her, "do lots of cardio and upper body stuff". Good luck!!
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    Pull ups, trail running. Be prepared to pull yourself over a 15 foot wall.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Cool!! I am doing it on April 21! Go us! Anyway the course really isn't bad just be sure you are fit enough to run a 5k. :drinker:

I'm doing one April 21st. Is yours in Jackson, Miss? That's where mine is.:drinker:
  • Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Its not really that difficult. If you are remotely fit and can run the distance you will be fine. Just remember to bring a change of clothes and extra water to clean the mud off yourself. Their "showers" don't really do the trick. You'll be finding mud for days! LOL!

Have fun!
  • PoochPottery
    Options
    Wear tight shorts or shirt. something that will stay on when in mud! And wear old shoes. Something you don't mind donating
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options

I'm doing one April 21st. Is yours in Jackson, Miss? That's where mine is.:drinker:

I'm running this one too!