Protein question...

Options
Hi! I've only been here for a few days and can't seem to find much information about protein guidelines. MFP " allows" me to have 165 carbs, 34 fat, and 45 protein. I didn't do so well today but I always seem to be over my protein guideline by 10-20 . Also gives me 1200 cal and it's an effort to make that goal.. it's always under by 100 or so. Any help or advise? TIA! ~Becky

Replies

• FungusTrooper
    FungusTrooper Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Protein, unlike carbs/fat/cals, is not a STAY UNDER target, it is, like fibre/iron, a "try to meet this" target.

If you go over on protein, it is no big deal at all - unless you go over every day by a huge margin (like 100+) your body will just get rid of the excess.

Edit: As for calories, you do need to get at least 1200 a day or your body will go into starvation mode, which will make it harder to shed the pounds. Just uh.. eat more? Have some healthy snacks, eat some chicken or some raisins or something? It's not hard finding more calories to eat :D. Have an egg! Have some toast! Have a banana!
  • BeckyFisher1954
    BeckyFisher1954 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Protein, unlike carbs/fat/cals, is not a STAY UNDER target, it is, like fibre/iron, a "try to meet this" target.

If you go over on protein, it is no big deal at all - unless you go over every day by a huge margin (like 100+) your body will just get rid of the excess.

Edit: As for calories, you do need to get at least 1200 a day or your body will go into starvation mode, which will make it harder to shed the pounds. Just uh.. eat more? Have some healthy snacks, eat some chicken or some raisins or something? It's not hard finding more calories to eat :D. Have an egg! Have some toast! Have a banana!
  • BeckyFisher1954
    BeckyFisher1954 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input! Congrats on your weight loss!
  • JoCam127
    JoCam127 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yep, you'll be surprised how many calories are in a piece of fruit or vegetable & it won't do you too much harm ;) Eat 'em up !!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    You can change your protein/fat/carb levels under the "goals" section at the top under the my home tab.
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I didn't start seeing results until I increased my protein. I also do a lot of weight lifting so protein does help performance.
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I didn't start seeing results until I increased my protein. I also do a lot of weight lifting so protein does help performance.

ETA - don't worry so much about the calories, the macros are where it counts ;)
  • dono1323
    dono1323 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I try and take in 100-130g. This is the calculation I use

weight in pounds x .37 = protein in grams

I also hit the elliptical for an hr every day and lift 4 days a week