Guys in Zumba Classes??

Options
So I've been reading about all these calories being burned in Zumba class. My gym has it, but I've never seen a guy take the class there. I'm kind of thinking I want to give it a try. I'm just worried I'll make a fool out of myself. So what's an overweight guy with no rhythm to do??

Replies

• jenaissance
    jenaissance Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    go for it! :) my husband does it, but only at home with the kinect.
  • tinahelton
    tinahelton Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Go for it! I have had 2 different instructors in 2 different locations... it is mostly female but, there have been a few brave souls to come to the classes! It's fun & not everyone (myself included) is coordinated...lol. Good luck!
  • jennie0918
    jennie0918 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    So I've been reading about all these calories being burned in Zumba class. My gym has it, but I've never seen a guy take the class there. I'm kind of thinking I want to give it a try. I'm just worried I'll make a fool out of myself. So what's an overweight guy with no rhythm to do??

trust me.. you can't do worse than i can.. .. and there are some guys maybe the majority is girls but i've seen a couple guys there. but just so YOU know. i do everything backwards. i try so hard to do it the right way but the dyslexia gets to me and i look retarded. it's really embarrassing. so .. keep your head up at least you'll go the RIGHT way!
  • ssweet1020
    ssweet1020 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My hubby went to a class with me and now we are both signing up for the next session!!
  • jdrapersr
    jdrapersr Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think that's great it will help you lose weight and hopfully make you want to learn how to dance too. My wife and I love to dance and have taken lessons too it's a great way to learn how to work as a team and allows you both excersise too..
  • reb6672
    reb6672 Posts: 21
    Options
    I'm trying to talk myself into it. Being overweight comes with it's insecurities....but then again everyone at the gym is pretty much there for the same purpose, to better themselves. I could use some more rhythm too :)

I've never taken any type of class before. I'm assuming I'd want to stay in the back to not get in anyone's way?
  • jjnt007
    jjnt007 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    My very first Zumba class was today and there was a man in our class. Go for it. If you are like me I could not keep up with every step but I always marched in place if I felt lost so I did not stand still. It was fun, but I did not feel very coordinated.
  • laur425
    laur425 Posts: 13
    Options
    Try it out! There are usually 1 or 2 guys in my classes, one comes with his wife I think... They don't usually do ALL of the moves full out (ie: a little less hip swinging usually... Figure out what's comfortable for you). Definitely go for it, it's a great workout!!
  • laur425
    laur425 Posts: 13
    Options
    PS- stick with it for a few classes! You're bound to feel uncoordinated and silly the first couple classes, but you'll catch on... And everyone is wrapped up in their own workout, not focusing on anyone else's moves!
  • reb6672
    reb6672 Posts: 21
    Options
    Thanks everyone. You're all giving me that push I need. I think I'll spy in on the class tomorrow.

So if I can't keep up the pace, I won't get stuff thrown at me or anything? lol I've really been kind of intimidated by the whole class thing. I guess I just have to jump in and see how it goes.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Yes! Just jump in. We all have to start somewhere. You'll love it.
  • armywife081209
    Options
    :wink: I go to my gyms classes and there are a few guys in there. I say go for it and don't be afraid to act a fool Its fun and energic. Gets your heart pumping
  • sourkeys
    sourkeys Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Iv'e been thinking about taking one too. Again I'll probably be like the only guy in there but... I might just give it a shot.