For runners/marathoners

Options
I started training for a full marathon in January. I train on a treadmill because I don't have anyone to watch my kids and either my husband is working the day I do my long run or it's pouring. (I live in the NW) I have run one long run outside which was 11.5. I did okay with it, granted I felt it more the next day rather than if I was on the treadmill, but I feel like I went a little faster out there as well. My question is will I have a problem running the marathon on an outside course if I have been training on a treadmill? I use a 1% incline when I use it. I was reading other threads where people say it's much harder outside and that makes me extremely nervous. I plan on doing another long run outside I was just wondering your thoughts. The marathon is May 6th and I ran 14.2 miles this past Sat. Thanks!

Replies

• ginalclark
    Options
    Thanks! :)
  • catweazle12
    catweazle12 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I don't run on a treadmill but I would think you should get outside more. Even once a week for your long run, to get your legs and body used to the road and the weather. It's not so bad running in the rain. It may rain on race day.
    What marathon are you doing? I'm doing Vancouver May 6th.
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Are you planning on doing any shorter races before you complete a full marathon? I am curious if you have been running for a long time or perhaps already run shorter races? you didn't say....

IMHO I would suggest it (running shorter races first) because races are very different than training...the crowds, your pacing, the darn hills, hydration and eating, bathroom issues, it all needs to be 'tested' because each of us handles these issues differently.
  • allisshiney
    allisshiney Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm an active runner and I work at the running room.

Yes, running outdoors will be much harder. The machine helps propel you along. A 1% grade is not enough. I would continue at at least 4 or 5. I also recommend starting hill training. That will help your stamina and strength.
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    I run on a treadmill as well and ran my first 10k this past Saturday on a hilly muddy trail. It was a whole different ballgame! Get outside and run at least once a week to get a real feel for your pace. The treadmill totally helps push you along so it's a bit easier IMHO.
  • gorunjogger
    Options
    Have you run a marathon or a half before? You should definitely run outside more. Your legs/feet need to get used to the pounding of pavement for 26.2 miles and your body needs to withstand several hours outside with possible heat/cold/humidity etc. 6 weeks is plenty of time to build up the mileage and work out your hydration and nutrition strategies. Aim to get in a long run of 20 miles three weeks before the marathon and ~40 mile max during a peak mileage week. Also figure out what shoes, socks, shorts and shirt to wear to avoid chafing. GOOD LUCK!!! When you cross that finish line, it will be the best feeling in the world!

Here is a website with tons of good information:
    http://www.marathontraining.com/marathon/m_sch_2.html
  • Zaria_Athena
    Zaria_Athena Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I think it's great that you are doing the marathon training on the treadmill but
    I would strongly recommend getting outside to get in at least some of your runs. Otherwise marathon day could be miserable.

You need to get used to the elements (headwinds, rain, sun), other people, changes in elevation.
    Outside you need to pay attention to the terrain.
    On the treadmill it's easy to keep a steady pace since the treadmill does this for you. You need to do this on your own when you are outside.
    You need to carry your own water, gels, keys etc. so you'll need to figure out what kind of device works best for you.

All of this is easier to figure out before race day.

Maybe you could trade babysitting services with another runner.
  • ginalclark
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I have never run any other races before as I am totally new to all of this. A marathon is a life goal and my husband and I are doing it together although he is much faster. I will try and get out there to do my long runs for the next several weeks before I take on race day. I am very anxious and appreciate all of your input! Catweazle I too am doing the Vancouver marathon May 6th! :)
  • catweazle12
    catweazle12 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Cool... the new course is going to be good. I did the first 10 miles or so last weekend. You'll love it!
    Last year Vancouver was warm and sunny, the year before (last time I ran it) it was cold and wet. So yes, definitely get outside to get used to the weather among the other logistics others have posted. Good luck:smile:
  • ginalclark
    Options
    Thanks! I'm pretty excited about it as much as I am nervous. My husband and I were going to drive the course but running some of it would be great too. I was think of running around Stanley Park twice for my 16 miler. It seems pretty flat. Any advice minus the weather. I know it can be unpredictable. We just move to Vancouver the end of August so people are telling me what to expect and not to expect but this year they say has been pretty different.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    You will do fine. I would plan on some of those weird TM programs that incorporate hills. I hate TM's, but if that is your best option, not a problem at all. Go for it! You will do great. Good luck!
  • ginalclark
    Options
    Thank you! I've done some of the programs and hills as well. I do want to try and get outside more though but I agree the programs help. Thanks again! :)
  • Dilfster
    Dilfster Posts: 434
    Options
    I run mostly on treadmill these days for the same reason, but I try to do outside runs when i can. there is a huge difference. outside is harder- no doubt.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I run mostly on treadmill these days for the same reason, but I try to do outside runs when i can. there is a huge difference. outside is harder- no doubt.

What he said x2. My issue outside is trying to keep a decent pace. I find myself starting out too fast, and then getting winded too early in a run. Music helps me a little with that as I've found a couple of songs that I can run to the beat of the pace I want to run, so I start my playlist with those.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Outside will definitely present some challenges. Obviously there are the hills and wind. Keeping pace is another, the treadmill keeps you on a constant pace, but you have to work a bit to manage that outdoors. I would definitely try to do some outdoor runs before the marathon, and if you can do it along parts of the course, that's even better.

And on the day of the race, don't worry about all this and remember to enjoy and have fun. Look around, take in the sights and sounds, and have a great time. It feels so amazing to hit the finish line.
  • Dilfster
    Dilfster Posts: 434
    Options
    i totally agree with the pacing. i use music too...and i also have an app on my phone that uses GPS to show me the pace I am going, how far, etc... that helps me. i haven't done a race in a REALLY long time, but when i used to race I would run behind someone else and use them as my "pace car" lol
  • ginalclark
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I know the outside can be harder as I did an 11.5 miler in some killer wind where even surfers were out and this is Vancouver! haha Picked the wrong day to do it, but I did it and on my course ran through almost all types of conditions. I think I did pretty well with pace but did up my time outside a little. I will run my 17 miler next weekend outside along some of the course of the marathon. Should be interesting to see how I do. I am quite nervous! haha Thanks again for all the tips! :)
  • la_flaca
    la_flaca Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Great idea to at least try doing most long runs outside....besides the issues mentioned by others, you want your joints and ligaments to get used to running on the less-forgiving paved surfaces. Doing a marathon after only running on a treadmill could mess up your knees or hips.

My favorite marathon mantra comes from a guy in his 70's who I met at a starting line, when I was really nervous. He said, "I just shuffle along as usual, and sooner or later I get there" :)
  • ginalclark
    Options
    I really like that mantra! Thank you! I don't plan on over doing it as I am not that fast to begin with. I might even have to walk half of it, who knows, but my goal is to just finish no matter how I get there! :)