What to do with cabbage?

Options
2»

Replies

• naddel02
    naddel02 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Chop up raw cabbage with some shredder carrot dice onion, sweet pepper then squeeze some lime and salt mix and enjoy . Or You can boil some chicken with cabbage in it. Enjoy :-)
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Shred it, add it to soups, saute it with diced back bacon and onions, Mix some in with your salad, make some Borscht with it. Make some coleslaw. :smile:
  • hwjssc
    hwjssc Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Google cabbage soup diet...it's yummy and low fat:)
  • PeggyWoodson
    PeggyWoodson Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I bought two heads because they were on sale. I shredded them in the processor and froze them in gallon zip loc bags. Later that week, I threw some in a pot and made that Cabbage Soup Diet soup with it. Delicious. Once frozen it can only be served cooked since freezing it makes it go limp. It will get limp when you cook it anyway so what the heck. Another way to cook it is to quarter it and roast it in the oven. Cut it in nice chunks and line them up on a cookie sheet. Spray with cooking spray rather than using oil to save 120 calories. Season with a little Mrs Dash and roast till browned. Enjoy.
  • PeggyWoodson
    PeggyWoodson Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Google cabbage soup diet...it's yummy and low fat:)
    Yes this soup is good.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I like to slice it really thin and stringy and steam it. Then I eat spaghetti sauce on it. :)

It's also good added to soups. *LOVE* soup, so it's an easy add for me.

I like this idea - never thought of it!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I bought two heads because they were on sale. I shredded them in the processor and froze them in gallon zip loc bags. Later that week, I threw some in a pot and made that Cabbage Soup Diet soup with it. Delicious. Once frozen it can only be served cooked since freezing it makes it go limp. It will get limp when you cook it anyway so what the heck. Another way to cook it is to quarter it and roast it in the oven. Cut it in nice chunks and line them up on a cookie sheet. Spray with cooking spray rather than using oil to save 120 calories. Season with a little Mrs Dash and roast till browned. Enjoy.
  • claudiandw
    claudiandw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Roasted Cabbage Wedges

Ingredients

1 tablespoon plus 2 more tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1 medium head green cabbage, cut into 1-inch-thick rounds
    Coarse salt and ground pepper
    1 teaspoon caraway or fennel seeds

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brush a rimmed baking sheet with 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil. Place 1 medium head green cabbage, cut into 1-inch-thick rounds, in a single layer on sheet and brush with 2 tablespoons oil. Season with coarse salt and ground pepper and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon caraway or fennel seeds. Roast until cabbage is tender and edges are golden, 40 to 45 minutes.

RBKVw.jpg
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Roasted Cabbage Wedges

Ingredients

1 tablespoon plus 2 more tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1 medium head green cabbage, cut into 1-inch-thick rounds
    Coarse salt and ground pepper
    1 teaspoon caraway or fennel seeds

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brush a rimmed baking sheet with 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil. Place 1 medium head green cabbage, cut into 1-inch-thick rounds, in a single layer on sheet and brush with 2 tablespoons oil. Season with coarse salt and ground pepper and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon caraway or fennel seeds. Roast until cabbage is tender and edges are golden, 40 to 45 minutes.

RBKVw.jpg

I was gonna suggest this too! YUM!
  • ericalynn104
    ericalynn104 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Not very healthy.. But the German part of me LOVES Runza! I brown ground beef with pepper and wilt in the cabbage. I could eat the filling by itself, but I put some in bread dough too... Mmmmm.... That's sounding really good! lol
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    1/4 cabbage?

slice it finely and then grate a carrot or 2 over it, mix together with grated cheese, some raisins, and coleslaw dressing.
  • GraemePayne
    GraemePayne Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    1. Make coleslaw!

2. Make sauerkraut or kimchi

3. My favorite - chop it coarsely, and make it onto a casserole with sweet Italian sausage and cream of mushroom soup.

4. Steam it with some Mrs. Dash for seasoning, and serve with your favorite butter-like product.
  • kami726
    kami726 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Bump...
  • kittymoney
    kittymoney Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    cut it up and put on tinfoil and add some butter spray, salt, pepper - wrap it up and grill it for about an hour on low. good side dish to a grill out. also good to do potatoes this way too.
  • sheilsun
    sheilsun Posts: 47
    Options
    I cook my cabbage with a whole bunch of veggies and seasonings like lots of garlic, diill, and thyme and use it as a side dish!