Exercises w/a Torn Ligament?

Options
KLo924
KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
So, apparently me + wedge sandals + cobblestone walkway = super bad idea lol I fell on Thurs. night and partially tore ligaments on the outside/arch of my left foot, or so the doctor suspects. At the moment I'm hobbling along with a cane, icing my foot all the time, etc. The doctor expects it to take 2-3 weeks to feel major improvement, but advises against pushing my usual exercise routine (lots of jazzercise/aerobics). I can do crunches, modified pushups, etc. but am at a loss otherwise.

So - What do I do?!? I don't want to fall off track cardio wise but can barely walk for now. Any suggestions? Many thanks in advance :)

- Kristin

Replies

• DrAJ84
    DrAJ84 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    So, apparently me + wedge sandals + cobblestone walkway = super bad idea lol I fell on Thurs. night and partially tore ligaments on the outside/arch of my left foot, or so the doctor suspects. At the moment I'm hobbling along with a cane, icing my foot all the time, etc. The doctor expects it to take 2-3 weeks to feel major improvement, but advises against pushing my usual exercise routine (lots of jazzercise/aerobics). I can do crunches, modified pushups, etc. but am at a loss otherwise.

So - What do I do?!? I don't want to fall off track cardio wise but can barely walk for now. Any suggestions? Many thanks in advance :)

- Kristin
    Theraband (resistance band) exercises sidelying, on your back (supine), or on your tummy(prone) for unaffected areas like your hip and knee. Terminal knee extensions while laying on your back with a roll or pillow supporting the knee.....seated hip flexion.......sidelying hip abduction/adduction.......prone hip extension exercises (look up online).
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Please... allow your body to heal. Don't keep pushing and pushing it - you'll be sorry later. I ignored pain in my hip and kept going... ended up with a stress fracture in my hip. Had I just stopped and let it heal -- (the initial injury was bursitis which would have healed in a couple weeks had I just STOPPED) it wouldn't have cause me all the issues it did. I know it is hard to drop back on your workout, but please... let it heal.

You can swim or work your upper body, but let that foot heal.
  • campb2ti
    campb2ti Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    You could sit in a chair and do some punches, those seem to get the heart rate up pretty good!
  • DrAJ84
    DrAJ84 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Also maybe some bosu ball exercises and stability ball (core work, pectoral exercise (with freeweight) while laying with your back on the ball, situps, contralateral/ipsilateral leg and arm raise on your stomach ( the superman) if you can tolerate it).
  • ajfranzen77
    ajfranzen77 Posts: 118
    Options
    water! swim, walk whatever! doesn't put strain on joints or tendons, but walking a mile in the water is like walking 2 on land! or if you like to swim laps that would be great for you too! Good Luck and I hope you feel better soon!
  • akunce
    akunce Posts: 29
    Options
    Water therapy in a pool does wonders. Do strength training with upper body for now too! Let healing take place or you may have more severe injuries later! Good luck and heal soon!
  • lovejoydavid
    lovejoydavid Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    If he did not ask for an air splint, or similar degree of immobilization, I assume he does not think the sprain too very severe. However, in any sprain, the first week or so is mostly about reducing the swelling, which requires a great of time spent with the foot actually elevated above the heart. After that, you can weight bear as tolerated, and in fact, avoiding activities on the foot may increase the duration of the pain syndrome associated with sprains. Frankly, all closed kinetic activites (ones with the feet planted) are liable to increase the edema. You can, I suppose, goof around in the pool, but swimming that involves kicks is going to hurt, walking will still require a push off you may not be prepared for, etc. Rest.
  • lovejoydavid
    Options
    If he did not ask for an air splint, or similar degree of immobilization, I assume he does not think the sprain too very severe. However, in any sprain, the first week or so is mostly about reducing the swelling, which requires a great of time spent with the foot actually elevated above the heart. After that, you can weight bear as tolerated, and in fact, avoiding activities on the foot may increase the duration of the pain syndrome associated with sprains. Frankly, all closed kinetic activites (ones with the feet planted) are liable to increase the edema. You can, I suppose, goof around in the pool, but swimming that involves kicks is going to hurt, walking will still require a push off you may not be prepared for, etc. Rest.

I need to amend that, if the swelling is not significant, you can return much faster. A day or two of rest and elevation, and then weight bearing as tolerated with a fairly rapid return to harder activities. As well, even in the presence of swelling in the first week, you need to be doing range of motion activity for the affected joint, all of which can be found online. Oh, and all activity must be done in a supportive shoe. If the swelling is too severe to wear said shoe, you are not ready for the activity.
  • Francineirene
    Options
    As a Chiropractic Nurse and Physical Therapist I would strongly advise you to not do any wieght bearing on that foot. You could really end up off track of you push an injury. If you have to be up alot and are using a cane watch your posture; remember belly button to back to protect your spine. A walker is usually better to balance your gait while you heal but younger patients don't or won't use one so if you fall into that group be careful and listen to your back and be adjusted on an as needed basis. If you really need to work out get in the pool with your foot wrapped or taped and stay in the deep end where there is no impact. No access to a pool? Try a Sit-and-fit type of program... my knee replacement patients seem to enjoy this and it keeps them safe. What is really important here is not make a temporary problem into a permanent one. Adjust your caloric intake, lower your carbs stack your lean protines. Be kind and understanding with yourself and listen to what your body is saying to you. Good Luck! Heal fast...
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options

Yeah, I get the impression it's not too severe. He just said to have it reevaluated after 2-3 weeks if there's no improvement, and to use crutches or a cane to help with walking as needed. He also encouraged me to try to put a little more pressure on it walking short distances little by little after the first 48 hours (suggested rest, elevation, ice, and ibuprofen for now) - so I think you're right on.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!!
  • lovejoydavid
    Options

Yeah, I get the impression it's not too severe. He just said to have it reevaluated after 2-3 weeks if there's no improvement, and to use crutches or a cane to help with walking as needed. He also encouraged me to try to put a little more pressure on it walking short distances little by little after the first 48 hours (suggested rest, elevation, ice, and ibuprofen for now) - so I think you're right on.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!!

I, personally, wish they still graded them (I like numbers), but no one does anymore! So we have to guess at severity, in the absence of definitive radiological studies. Oh well.
  • digit78
    digit78 Posts: 177
    Options
    some great tips and advice here - I just suffered a Grade 2 tear in my ankle during training this morning.

No boxing for me for a few weeks!!!
  • shannonahenderson
    Options

I just found out that I sprained a ligament in my foot and your information was more helpful than what the doctor told me...lol! Thanks