What did u do to lose besides count calories?

Options
jsugihara86
jsugihara86 Posts: 71 Member
I am about 3 weeks in and have lost 7 lbs or so. I am eating better and less and running on the ellipticle, walking, jumping on the trampoline, and doing some p90x. I was wondering if some of you who have posted before and after pics would mind giving a break down of what worked for you and how you stayed motivated.

Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• Emili03
    Emili03 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm only 20# down but I have been doing Zumba and really enjoy it....most days :)
  • cartea01
    cartea01 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I just posted my story on this board if you want to look :)http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/536322-10kg-lost-in-100-days
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I cut sugars and carbs down, to lose weight.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    All I do is lift weights 3-4 times per week, get adequate macros, and I am in the Army ROTC
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Run and lift weights. Was just running when I actually lost the weight, lifting is newer for me. I think it really just came down to watching what I ate.
  • ArynnOctavia
    Options
    Weight training, cardio (LOVE the heavy bag most of all!!!), limiting (not eliminating) processed foods and carbs. Most importantly, NEVER SKIP MEALS (kills metabolism and fosters overeating), and make sure you allow yourself to be bad once in a while.

Nobody's perfect, and when we start expecting perfection from ourselves, we set ourselves up for failure. I have seen too many people (including myself, a few times) look at one indulgence (or a weeks worth of indulgences) as a sign that we couldn't do it, and use it as an excuse to give up. Then someone explained to me that I should imagine all my meals as drops of water. Together they make a giant lake. One bad drop (or even a hundred) will not taint the whole lake. I just need to strive to make most of my drops wholesome ones. No one will EVER become overweight (or stay overweight) over one meal.

Another bit of advice that might seem counter intuitive: When stuck in a plateau, our reaction is often to try to cut even MORE calories, or kill ourselves at the gym. Sometimes, increasing calories (by only a few hundred, not thousands) for a few days will stimulate movement on the scale, and not in the direction you might think.
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    For me, counting the calories was key. Turned out it was the mayo, dressing, too large portions, etc. Once I figured out 'how' to eat and taught my stomach what a proper portion was, things got easier. Now, I run and cycle mostly. So I guess the best answer would be 'good fitness habits'.
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 120 pounds since August 2011. I didn't just cut calories, I did a total diet makeover! I used to drink coca-cola all day. Now I drink green tea all day. I used to eat fast food several times a week. Now i prepare all meals at home with organic ingredients. I used to eat maybe one serving of vegetables per day. Now I get as least 4 servings, and often more. I used to be a hamburger sort of gal. Now I eat no red meat at all, and have gone to smaller portions of free-range chicken and wild-caught salmon (maybe 2 ounces, and not every day), plus vegetarian meals with beans or lentils or quinoa. I used to eat junk food daily. Now I eat no sugar at all, not even as an ingredient in anything I cook with. Occassionally I will use a SMALL amount of acacia honey or agave nectar.

In addition, I have added exercise. I wasn't a couch potato before -- no, I was more of a "couch boulder"! At first, I couldn't do a fifteen minute workout! It took awhile, and I still have a long way to go, but I at LEAST walk for 45 minutes most days. I intend to add strength training soon.

I am 56 years old and have been a very heavy junk food junkie all my life. I made these changes for medical reasons. Just goes to show you what you really can do, if you are MOTIVATED enough!
  • Dojjin
    Dojjin Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Like you, I've lost about 7 pounds in about 3 weeks. I haven't started working out yet just been counting calories, watching what I eat plus eating multiple snacks through-out the day and drinking my 64+ Ounces of Water each day. I can tell you this has made a HUGE difference in my life thus far.

I do plan on doing the TABATA (google or youtube it if you don't know what I'm talking about). It's intrigued me because i'm "lazy" and this is a very short yet effective exercise that I can do 2 times daily. Once I drop pounds and get to a lower weight working out will become much easier and self-motivating for me.

I definitely plan to start going on walks daily with my daughter, wife and 2 pups extremely soon.

That's my plan on my weight loss goal ^_^.
  • babareeba
    babareeba Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    When I lost my first 10 kg (in three months) I wasn't counting calories. Just eating healthy, fruits, veggies, lean meat, no sugar, no white flour, white rice, no frosted meals juts cooked, boiled and steamed. I paid special attention to my sodium intake. And did some kind of home version of cardio and strength training 30 to 45 min/day. Nothing much.

when I hit plateau, I joined MFP and counted calories for the first time in my life. After two months here I am trying to loose last 3 kg and I found that for me works better if I keep focusing on my fat/protein/carbs intake, rather than on calories itself. I never starve myself and taking between 1350 and 1500 calories in zig-zag fashion and work out heavy or do some serious cardio every day. Now I 'm not loosing kilograms, but centimeters. (but still wish to reach my kg goal :-)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!