Limiting carbs...

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    I started eating around 25 NET carbs a day on January 5th of this year. I've lost 30 lbs as a result and I find it very do-able. AND I'm vegetarian, so I don't use meat as a food option. It's an adjustment at first but gets much easier as you go along. Other people might disagree but it's what's been most effective for me, and it's the healthiest I've ever eaten in my life. Before, I filled my day with sugars and empty carbs. I hardly got any protein, healthy fats or vegetables. You'd be surprised at what you are capable of. Anyway, that's just my opinion. Good luck.

How has your body fat% changed in comparison to your lean mass?

If it hasnt you may have failed.....
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Maybe they meant 30% of your calories from carbs (which is still a little low).

Carbs are not your enemy, you need them for normal day-to-day functioning (your brain runs almost exclusively on carbs).
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Lots of great information to read here:
    Www.dietaryguidelines.gov

Ummm yeah the US gov dietary guide lines, I'd think long and hard about letting the government tell you how you should be eating.

Their recommendations are reasonable and based on research. I'd think longer and harder about believing some low-carb diet being pitched on a message board or in a book written for profit motives.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    I think trying to go on low carb diets aren't the best idea for losing weight. If you can keep it up for the rest of your life, than great, but if you can't you will just gain the weight back. You need the energy for every day activities, chores and such.

If you have to do this for medical reasons, then do it, but if you don't, why bother struggling through a diet when you could have everything in moderation for the rest of your life. You would need a little of willpower to keep up a low carb diet for the rest of your life. To be honest, you really shouldn't be looking for diets, you should be looking a change in life. I was reading the newspaper today and saw an article about a woman who has tried 61 different diets from the age of 16 till now, she's 45 and she keeps losing weight, putting more weight on. She can't stick to a diet because really, diet's don't work for the long run. I don't think many people can handle a weight loss diet long term, so they tend to drop it because it's boring or too hard and just put weight back on.

Just eat your carbs, protein, fat and enjoy life. Everything in moderation is the key to weight loss, health and a happier life.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,177 Member
    Macronutrient NeedsOnce you work out calorie needs, you then work out how much of each macronutrient you should aim for. This is one of the areas that is MOST often confused but This should NOT be based on a RATIO of macro intakes. (eg: '30:40:30 or 40:40:20') Your body doesn't CARE what % intake you have. It works based on SUFFICIENT QUANTITY per MASS.

So to try to make it as simple as possible:
    1. Protein: Believe it or not - Protein intake is a bit of a controversial issue. In this, the general recommendations given in the 'bodybuilding' area are nearly double the 'standard' recommendations given in the Sports Nutrition Arena.
    The GENERAL sports nutrition guideline based on clinical trials suggest that in the face of ADEQUATE calories and CARBS the following protein intakes are sufficient:
    STRENGTH training -> 1.2 to 1.6g per KG bodyweight (about .6 / pound)
    ENDURANCE training -> 1.4 to 1.8g per KG bodyweight (about .8 / pound)
    ADOLESCENT in training -> 1.8 to 2.2g per KG bodyweight (about 1g / pound)
    BUT researchers acknowledge that protein becomes MORE important in the context of LOWER calorie intakes, or LOWER carb intakes.
    Recent evidence also suggests that protein intakes of 3g/kg help with physiological and psychological stressors associated with high volume or intense training

It is important to note that ADEQUATE v's OPTIMAL is not discussed. And one also needs to consider thermogenics/ satiety/ and personal preference.

General 'bodybuilding' guidelines for protein would be as follows:
    - Moderate bodyfat = 1-1.33g per pound TOTAL weight [or ~ 1.25g/pound lean mass if bodyfat known]
    - Very Low bodyfat or Very Low Calorie = 1.25 - 1.75g per TOTAL weight [or ~ 1.35 - 2g/pound of lean mass]
    - Very HIGH bodyfat, Inactive, = 0.8 to 1g per TOTAL weight [or ~ 1 x LEAN mass]
    Anecdotally, most find these HIGHER protein intake better for satiety, partitioning, and blood sugar control. So UNLESS you are specifically guided to use the GENERAL sports nutrition guidelines, I would suggest the BODYBUILDING values.

2. Fats: Generally speaking, although the body can get away with short periods of very low fat, in the long run your body NEEDS fat to maintain general health, satiety, and sanity. Additionally - any form of high intensity training will benefit from a 'fat buffer' in your diet - which acts to control free radical damage and inflammation. General guides:
    Average or lean bodyfat: 1 - 2g fat/ kg body weight [between 0.40 - 1g total weight/ pounds]
    High bodyfat: 1-2g fat/ LEAN weight [between 0.4 - 1g LEAN weight/ pounds]
    IF low calorie dieting - you can decrease further, but as a minimum, I would not suggest LESS than about 0.30g/ pound.
    Note 1: Total fat intake is NOT the same as 'essential fats' (essential fats are specific TYPES of fats that are INCLUDED in your total fat intake)...

3. Carbs: For carbs there are no specific 'requirements' for your body so - but carbs are important for athletes, HIGHLY ACTIVE individuals, or those trying to GAIN MASS. [carbs help with workout intensity, health, & satiety (+ sanity)].
    If you are an athlete involved in a good volume of training I would suggest you CALCULATE a requirement for carbs as a PRIORITY - then go back and calculate protein / fat:
    Moderately active: 4.5 - 6.5 g/ kg (about 2 - 3g/ pound)
    High active: 6.5 - 8.5 g/ kg (about 3 - 4g/ pound)
    INTENSE activity: + 8.5g / kg (more than 4g/ pound)

For 'other folk' - to calculate your carbohydrate intake you simply use it to fill in the calories left over from fats/ protein:
    carb calories = Total calorie needs - ([protein grams as above x 4] + [fat grams as above x 9])
    carbs in grams = above total/ 4

this is part of this post at bodybuilding .com, it gives a very good break down of macro numbers.
    link to whole post

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981&page=1
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Find what works for you, and definitely talk to your doctor. Everyone's different. I love carbs, but try to steer clear of anything except whole grains (with a snack like a fiber one brownie or a granola thin). I personally did the low carb thing, lost 65llbs, and gained almost all of it back. Because I'm trying to build lean muscle, increase endurance and burn fat, I stick to no more than 130 grams a day (striving for 110), and take in about 150g protein a day - from lean meats, a few nuts and a protein shake daily. I talked to my doctor before I started, and she's in agreement with it. I find I love the higher protein because I feel full, but I'm not sluggish the way I was when I did low carb - I have energy to get through my workouts.
  • I keep my net carbs below 30g a day but I don't find it particularly difficult. I think it's all about finding what works best for you. I'm sure I could lose weight eating more carbs per day but whenever I up my carb intake I go over the top and end up eating way too much. Plus I find myself feeling bloated whenever I eat large amounts of carbohydrates like bread or a bowl of rice.
  • lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    Try basing your carb intake on an equivilant Diabetic program.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    I limit my carbs bc I am pre-diabetic. I wouldn't limit them that much unless you have a medical reason. Or talk to your doctor and see what they suggest.

The body still needs carbs for energy.

There is NO biological need for carbs. We can survive and have plenty of energy merely eating protein and fat. Fat is also an energy provider.

To the OP, you will have to experiment and see what level of carbs (and different types of carbs) to see where you feel your best and are able to lose weight easily.

Personally for me, my carbs come from mostly vegetables and a bit of fruit. I no longer eat grains, legumes, lentils. I eat "some" nuts and seeds.

I try to stay away from any foods that are deemed to be inflammatory. I am more concerned about having great health than to be "skinny". I don't care what the scale says as long as I am healthy.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    I had fell off the wagon for a while, but am back on now and exercising regularly. My question is, should I be limiting my carbs to a certain amount? I've heard other people tell me about limiting carbs to 30g a day, but this just dosen't seem do-able on a daily basis. Thoughts?

People with insulin related problems such as diabetes will tend to do better on lower carb programs. Assuming normal insulin function, there's really no need to low-carb although it's certainly not harmful to do so.
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member

Ummm yeah the US gov dietary guide lines, I'd think long and hard about letting the government tell you how you should be eating.

Their recommendations are reasonable and based on research. I'd think longer and harder about believing some low-carb diet being pitched on a message board or in a book written for profit motives.

I would never go by those guidelines if "the government" (elected politicians) had written them. But the guys that work for the government are generally scientists and associated experts in their respective fields. The people who can't get on with the government, or want to get rich, often come up with a new diet craze for the willing public ready to pounce on some new shortcut to fix their health.
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    I eat healthy carbs, like brown rice, wheat bagels, apples, etc. I need the fiber to stay regular.
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member

I would never go by those guidelines if "the government" (elected politicians) had written them. But the guys that work for the government are generally scientists and associated experts in their respective fields. The people who can't get on with the government, or want to get rich, often come up with a new diet craze for the willing public ready to pounce on some new shortcut to fix their health.

I don't go off a diet from a message board or a book that's sold for profit, I go by a low carb diet recommended by a team of MY physicians.

As for the government and their dietary recommendations, we'll you need to find that out for yourself but I'm glad you still have that much faith in them.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    For me I find that between 50 and 100 carbs is good. That allows me plenty of veggies & some fruit. I've heard some trainers say that if you have fat to lose you don't need carbs.... but you do need a minimum to keep your brain happy, at least I do... = ) It's best to stay away from white, sugary or starchy carbs. Once you get used to a reduced carb intake you will find that your blood sugar stabilizes and you don't get hunger pangs or that urgent need to eat.

Agree and for the same reasons. But I usually am in the 80-100 range.
  • leenites
    leenites Posts: 166 Member
    I only eat carbs in the morning because I want my dose of fiber as soon as possible in the day.
    Lunch time, I skip carb (except veggies) because rice/pasta makes me sleepy (food coma) all the time!
    Night time, I usually don't even eat heavy meal (just some protein shake, peanut butter, nuts... ) because if I eat a lot, I feel bloated and wake up funky....

So ya ... not so much carbs but for various reasons and not just because carbs are bad.
  • alliesun53
    alliesun53 Posts: 160 Member
    I do low carb, and I stay under or around 100g a day. It's not TOO low, but low enough to have weight loss and still keep my brain happy enough. Under 30G a day seems impossible if you're eating fruits and veggies still...those have carbs in them!
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    I do low carb, and I stay under or around 100g a day. It's not TOO low, but low enough to have weight loss and still keep my brain happy enough. Under 30G a day seems impossible if you're eating fruits and veggies still...those have carbs in them!

100-150g seems sufficient to me, people have this misconception that carbs makes you fat, it doesn't. eating a surplus of calories makes you fat. carbs are beneficial for you, especially if your working out! so eat carbohydrates as part of your diet, as long as your are in a calorie deficit with sufficient amount of macros, then the pounds should shed off over time. =]
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    367076.png

lol
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member

The FDA being the exception to your rule... they've been for sale to the highest bidder for more than a decade and maybe two, IMHO.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    I have to say that I don't understand all the carb hatred. The parts of the world that have starchy foods as the major part of their diet do not have have the same sort of obesity issues.